guest post thursday! gabriela b.

by Janetha on April 15, 2010

in meals

hello, friends! i hope your thursday has gone off without a hitch.  i am probably off cooking dinner for marshall or playing with the pups..enjoying some time away from internet land.  taking over for me tonight is gabriela~ you may have seen her face around the blog world before, but if not.. i am pleased to introduce her and let you get to know her via meals & moves. the time is hers.. enjoy!

**********************************************************

Hi everyone! First of all, thanks so much to Janetha for letting me do a guest post!! I’m Gabriela from Une Vie Saine. I’m pretty new to the blogworld, but I’ve been lurking on meals & moves since before starting my own. I think everyone can appreciate Janetha’s sense of humor and awesome eats!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I wasn’t sure what to write about at first; covering my journey towards a healthy lifestyle seemed redundant, and even though I know my stuff, I’m no expert on health or fitness! So instead, I’ve decided to share a few pearls of wisdom from the most influential person in my life- my dad! He’s been an orthopedic surgeon for over 35 years, and besides being my absolute best friend, he’s taught me tons not only about health, but also about life. He’s seen it all when it comes to injuries! So, without any further ado, I present to you my Life Lessons from Dr. Dad:

1. Stop complaining. Trust me, I can go on like the best of them, but ever since I was a kid, my dad has taught me that if you’re going to whine and moan while doing something, save yourself the time and don’t do it at all. Tackling a ten-miler? Muscles a little sore? Suck it up. Get some Aleve (Dr. Dad swears by naproxen) and get out there! Pain is a fact of exercise, and of life. That’s not to say we should push it when we’re hurt, but athletes live by the mantra “no pain, no gain” for a reason!

2. Don’t skimp on strength training. Some of us were born to be cardio machines, some to rock the weighs. Lord knows I’m no Hercules, but my dad’s constant nagging has finally made me realize how important it is to develop muscle. Not only does it make our abs ripped and arms defined, it also helps prevent loss of bone density and avert injuries. I dislocated my patella playing lacrosse in 9th grade, and I know there’s no way I’d be able to run ten miles if it weren’t for my trusty leg extensions. No one wants to be sidelined with an injury, so start pumping! (Janetha’s a great inspiration in this department, isn’t she?!)

3. Be happy for your body can do, not disappointed for what it can’t. I’ve heard tons of horror stories about people hurting themselves worse the second time after failing to follow the doctor’s instructions. As much as it stinks to give up something you love, there are so many forms of exercise out there! There’s no reason to continue playing lacrosse with a busted knee, or keep doing laps when your shoulder is toasted. Be happy for the fact that you can still be active, and take the opportunity to try something new!

4. Peanut butter is best eaten from the spoon. If you read my blog, you’ll see that I’m addicted to the stuff. It must be genetic, since the only person who can stomach more of it than I can is Dr. Dad. We go through a family-size jar of Skippy Extra Crunchy (no natural for Dr. Dad!) every week or so, and 90% of it goes directly from jar to mouth. Life is too short not to enjoy the little things you love :)

5. Staying healthy is the best way to stay young. I’m not going to reveal their ages, since I’d probably be shot if they ever read this, but both my parents are well over the hill and still look ten years younger than they are. My dad continues to hit the gym numerous times a week, and takes a several mile walk around our neighborhood most days. I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but developing a passion for a healthy lifestyle at a young age is by far the best thing you can do for yourself. I can’t wait to see if we’re all still blogging as little old ladies, comparing the ingredient lists in the nursing home food. Something to look forward to, right?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Me and Dr. Dad

If you have any questions, feel free to stop by my blog and ask J Thank you so much again to Janetha for the opportunity to post!!

******************************

janetha here.  thanks so much gabriela! i think we can all learn something from your dad’s words of wisdom.  i know that number 3 is one i need to remember when i am being hard on myself. there are people out there who don’t have legs and i am crying about how big mine are. i need to put things into perspective~ thanks for the reminder!

hope you all enjoyed gabriela’s post! i will be back tomorrow with flashback friday and random highlights of what i’ve been up to!

1. do you have any life lessons passed down from your parents (or otherwise) you would like to share with the class? my dad taught me to “be happy always” and my mom taught me to "always take the higher road”.

2. what is your favorite way to eat peanut butter? i agree, it is delicious off the spoon, but my favorite way to eat it is on a warm piece of toast with my mom’s homemade raspberry jam!

xo. janetha b. & gabriela b.

hundredtenpounds April 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm

My dad taught me “everything in moderation” and how to make my own choices. They may be bad choices but I have to figure them out on my own.

Kate April 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm

i love the focus on your dad, Gabriela. really touching and sweet. my dad’s been really influential in my life, and he’s full of great wisdom!

and i eat peanut butter with a fork. i learned this habit from my fiance, who has very few manners when it comes to this sort of thing.

i actually make a peanut butter coconut curry sauce that is really good on pasta or veggies.
my mom taught me to always take every opportunity. my dad taught me to always be creative. yay, parents!

ari April 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm

i’m curious as to why your dad doesn’t eat natural peanut butter. i would think if he was so knowledgeable and concerned with health, he wouldn’t want to be eating any trans fats. just my opinion! great post :)

mom April 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I LOVED this post! Dads really do have a lot of wisdom (moms do too!). I also found a common bond with you through Skippy peanut butter, yummm! I grew up with a dad who also ate it out of the jar on a very LARGE spoon, what a great memory!

I got home and immediately went and toasted that really flat bread and slathered my natural skippy all over it – it was heaven!

My mom taught me to “kill others with kindness” – in my business as a realtor I can honestly say that is what has saved an awful lot of deals :)

My dad taught me to be TOTALLY honest ALWAYS! They have both passed away but I think of them daily and remember all of the great lessons they taught me, thanks Gabriela for such great lessons from Dr. Dad, he is spot on!!

Ohhh peanut butter……on a spoon, on toast with veg soup or stew, with jam, on pancakes, on waffles, on a spoon – oops already said that, (it could be a new Dr Seuss book!) xoxo

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

My parents taught me to always live my dreams, no matter what the cost, what changes need to be made- jsut go for it! My Dad always encouraged me to be strong and be myself. Sounds simple, but it really helped!

I love pb on toast with jelly or banana… or both!

xo
K

mayapamela April 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Awesome post! I’m so bad about strength training, but I know it will make me a stronger runner. I also have to be better about foam rolling! Sounds like Dr Dad has instilled you with some great lessons.

Sara April 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

These life lessons are so insightful! I especially love and agree with Rule #4…nothing tastes better than peanut butter from a jar! But I also LOVE it spooned on top of frozen yogurt (make sure to let the frozen yogurt melt a little–soo good!) and in a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich (aka Elvis’ favorite).

Rule #4 about strength training is something I learned the hard way. I used to be a cardio only girl, but after several serious injuries have finally started lifting.

My dad wasn’t super present in my life, but one thing he taught me was that I can achieve anything if I work at it. It sounds cliche, but it’s true! My mom taught me that unconditional love and forgiveness take you far in life and relationships. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm

LOve the post and love PB and strength trainingggg you ROCK MY SOCKS gabriela!!

homecookedem April 15, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Great post!! I love finding new food bloggers!! :)

My parents taught me to work hard and that family is #1. I just love them!! :) My fave way to eat PB is on an english muffin. Sooooooo good!

theprocessofhealing April 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I love this post, thank you for sharing Gabriela! Your dad is a wise man!! #3 also speaks a lot to me too :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 15, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Gabriela you’re awesome, love the lessons and these pis of you are stunning!

Janetha….thank you dearly for your email today and for your words of wisdom and glad to see you enjoying your book!!!!!!

Karissa@ CardioFoodie April 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm

My dad hasn’t really been a part of my life, but my mom has taught me to work hard, then work even harder. The woman is a non-stop superwoman!

Elina April 16, 2010 at 5:52 am

Great post, Gabriela! I think it’s so inspirational how committed your dad is to exercise. I hope to become that for my kids one day (if I have any :) ).

Maren April 16, 2010 at 7:08 am

Thanks for the great post! My dad has been an athlete all is life and if there’s one thing I can remember him telling me, it’s “don’t give up!”

Dr. Dad was right. The best way to eat peanut butter is definitely from jar to mouth!!

runnerforever April 16, 2010 at 11:06 am

I love this post! My favorite way to eat PB is with a banana for sure!

Ashlei April 16, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the great post Gabriela!! I love pb from the spoon too! Or in oatmeal :)

Kelly April 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Great guest post!!! Your dad sounds like an awesome guy!

simplyshaka April 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I love this post! Any time I get frustrated with my body I try to think of #3 and remind myself I am fortunate to have limbs, part that work, etc. Still trying to get on board with #4 though since I had a bad pb overdose when I am younger and trying to make myself like it again :)

Susan April 17, 2010 at 5:15 am

My dad is a peanut butter lover too! Growing up we were never allowed to touch his nut butter stash, which included an array of peanut, almond and cashew butters. He likes it best on rolls though :)

1. My mom taught that we have to love ourselves first, as we have a whole life to spend with ourselves ;)

2. PB is best slightly melted on toast! Mmmm….

Susan April 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Aww I love this post! Your dad is a smarty pants!

There are many ways I love pb, but right now I’m especially digging it on a baked sweetpotato with raisins and cinnamon.

Bekah April 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Aw I loved reading this, as I JUST met Miss Gabriela (I had not read her blog before) in the city on Saturday! How cool. I love her daddy’s advice too.. it’s pretty true what they say about wisdom coming with age! But like my dad as well, they are looking pretty young for what they probably really are. :) Hehe.

Great guest post Janetha!