guest post thursday! ildie c.

by Janetha on April 8, 2010

in meals

hey guys! welcome to the second installment of guest post thursdays.  i am really excited to introduce this week’s contributor, ildie! she will introduce her blog below, but i wanted to exclaim my LOVE for her blog. she eats 5 meals a day like me (including a lot of the foods i eat!), she posts the details of her workouts which are ALWAYS stellar and she has the best sense of humor and spunky personality.  actually, she and i have a lot of similarities.. not only in food & fitness, but in our professional world as well. if you like my blog, i guarantee you that you will LOVE hers!

i will now turn the time over to ildie :)

***************************************************************************

Hello Mealers & Movers. The lovely Janetha B., in her kind wisdom, asked me to do a guest post on her fantastic blog. Of COURSE I had to oblige. I love the girl. She just so happens to be the first blog I started reading and my bloggy inspiration. ;)

Now for a little about me. My name is Ildie and I’m the brilliant (HA) author of a sassy little blog called Rambling Babushka (www.ramblingbabushka.blogspot.com).

clip_image002

I’m 33 (I ain’t scurt to share), live with my boyfriend in Lametown Ohio and have a high stress office job. Sounds titillating right? I’m also a re-born health fanatic. About three years ago I sort of lost control of myself for various reasons and ended up in an unhappy and unhealthy place. I was overweight, tired all the time and had no energy or desire to do much of anything. Last August I had a heart to heart with myself and changed my life around. I joined a gym (non refundable, one year membership is GOOD motivation…HA), started eating right and through my uphill journey, “found” myself again. I haven’t looked back since. My fitness savvy baby sister Annie-Boo has been my inspiration and driving force. She’s been active for years and urged me to get back into it. She’s my mini me, and my best friend.

clip_image004

clip_image006clip_image008

I work out 5 times a week. Trust me, if I can do it, anybody can. I was SO out of shape when I started that I could barely walk on the treadmill for more than 10 minutes without wanting to pass out. Yeah, it was THAT bad. We’re talking wheezing like I smoke cigars 24/7. Ridiculous! My annoyance with my lack of strength and stamina only fueled my desire to keep going. I got stronger with each passing week and now truly enjoy going to the gym and pushing myself. The perks? I’m much stronger, I’ve lost roughly 50 pounds and look and feel better than I have in years. YEARS people!

There is no “secret” to my game. There is no “pill”, no “magic juice”, no “one week miracle detox”. You just have to WANT it and then get out there and DO it. I always tell people that if you want anything in life bad enough, you’ll make it happen. Losing weight and being healthy is no different. Some people say that it’s just too hard. Trust me, being overweight and unhappy in general is MUCH harder! You only get this one chance. Live it right! Right? :)

Here are some of my favorite healthy eats. All of these are staples in my diet and I eat them ALL the time.

(After workout recovery smoothie. My standard mix is whey protein, unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, banana, lots of ice and whatever random frozen fruit I have in the house. Sometimes I use spinach as well.)

clip_image009

(Oatmeal. I am OBSESSED with oatmeal… This is a mix of old fashioned oats, wheat bran, water, ground flax, sugar free jam and PB2. Heaven in a bowl people!)

clip_image011

(Breakfast Burritos. I always make them with egg whites, spinach, hummus and hot sauce. Couldn’t be simpler! I actually like to have them for lunch.)

clip_image013

(Veggie wraps. I always use whatever veggies I have on hand. I stuff a wheat FlatOut wrap with the fresh veggies and a wedge of light laughing cow cheese. Perfection! The below is red bell pepper, Spinach, tomato and cheese.)

clip_image015

(Ahhh, greek yogurt. I love it. My favorites are Oikos, Chobani and Dannon. I have one EVERY day before a workout with either fresh fruit or granola, or both. Perfect because it doesn’t weight me down before I start jumping around like a maniac.)

clip_image017

(And of course, my beloved salads. I love them and eat them all the time. I love topping them with Morning Star Farms veggie burgers. So tasty! And full of protein!)

clip_image019

(Of course we can’t forget about the occasional treats. It’s all about balance. Everyone deserves something they crave once in a while. Be it wine, sushi, coffee, pastries or chocolate. :) )

clip_image021clip_image023

clip_image025clip_image027

This post is getting LONG. Sorry about that. I will end it with a quick recap of what my workouts look like every week. I won’t get into detail though because we would be here all day long then.

Monday – Strength training of Triceps, Biceps and Shoulders followed by 30 minutes of Elliptical. (Average time 1:15)

Tuesday – Strength training of Chest and Back followed by 30 minutes of Elliptical. (Average time 1:15)

Wednesday – 45 minutes of Elliptical followed by 15-20 minutes of Ab workouts. (Average time 1:05)

Thursday – Strength training of Triceps, Biceps and Shoulders followed by 30 minutes of Elliptical. (Average time 1:15)

Friday – OFF

Saturday – Strength training of legs and glutes followed by 30 minutes of Elliptical and “sometimes” more Ab work. (Average time 2:00)

Sunday – OFF

And there you have it ladies and gents. I hope you enjoyed the brief yet EXCITING history of my journey to a healthy lifestyle. It’s been a learning experience for sure, but one that I’m happy to have tackled! Thanks for letting me infiltrate your bloggy paradise with my mad rambles Janetha. You’re the best!! Marshall is a lucky man! ;)

*******************************************************************************************************

janetha here.

thanks, ildie! i think a lot of my readers will find your journey as a great inspiration!!

i will be back tomorrow with flashback friday~ pssst… it will be a vacation flashback! think beaches and sunshine :)

1. how many days, on average, do you exercise each week? do you believe one or two “rest days” are important?

2. what is your favorite “occasional treat”?

xo. janetha b. & ildie c.

p.s. giveaway at an apple a day!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Great guest post! Rest in super important in my opinion. I always have 1-2 days of rest of week. And 3-4 days of ice cream.

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Great post to show that anyone can really do it if they just put their mind to it. Nice! I work out 6 days a week. My treat is pizza (typically on Friday and typically homemade so it’s a lot healthier).

inmytummy April 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I usually take 2 rest days a week. I find that I get really burnt out if I don’t. My favorite occasional treat is pizza. (And occasional is one of those words that I can never spell right. Seriously, I had to revise the spelling three times.)

MAJL April 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm

what kind of flat bread is that?

Ildie April 8, 2010 at 7:56 pm

That would be a FlatOut wrap. Either wheat or honey wheat. I forget which flavor now. :)

homecookedem April 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Fabulous guest post!! I am looking forward to checking out Ildie’s blog now!!

I take 1-2 rest days. Lately I’ve been trying to stick to just one rest day since I started Body for Life.

My favorite occasional treat is CAKE! I can find ways to make pizza, cookies, muffins healthier, but for me there is nothing quite like a corner slice of birthday cake with lots of buttercream icing!! ;)

Mary April 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Loving guest post Thursdays!!

I usually have 5 ‘hard’ work out days… 1 day completely off and 1 light day (ex: short walk).

My favorite treat is… pizza… or wine… or sushi… or.. or.. ;D

-Mary

Kristina April 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm

hmm I work out about 6 days a week. Should I rest more? probably. I think peeplez should work out around 5 days a week, and have 2 days of week a rest if you are an advanced exerciser. Newbies should start with only a few days of exercise a week.

Treats..hmm…argg..I totally love ice cream, cookies, donuts, chips, pizza, burritos. But I try to limit it to…as little as possible. I feel once I indulge, I just want more and more. So I try to stick to clean eating as much as possible.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

What a great ‘rags to riches’ story (healthwise!). Thanks for sharing your great come-back!

I take at least a day or two off a week, sometimes plus a ‘light’ day. Treat: dessert, fries. Something like that that I’ll split or steal off of someone else’s plate!

Kelly April 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Your story is very similiar to mine as well, so glad Janetha introduced me to you blog! People always want to know what my “secret” is (I lost 70 lbs in the last year) and they’re always bummed when I tell them there is no secret, just eat right and work out!

I aim for 6 days a week, but lately it seems to be more like 5 full workouts, a light day and a day off. Something to work on!

Lindsay April 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

So fun. What a great post! That protein shake looks AWESOME. Especially in the beer mug, heck ya! I work out 6 days a week or sometimes 10 days (with 3 easy days in between). This is usually when I have to sub spin or conditioning classes. My treats are glasses of VINO! I love it.

Jill April 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I workout 5-6 days a week. I totally think that if I gave a rest day my workouts later that week are tons better.

Gabriela (froyolover) April 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Lovely guest post!
:D
Really inspiring!
Have a great day, girls!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Ildie April 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Hey there lady. Thanks for letting me post and endlessly ramble on. I’ve already made some new friends. :)

XOXOXOXOXO

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

LOVE the tattoo sleeve peeking thru! I have had an armband for a decade+ but want to fill it in with a 1/4 sleeve or something like what you’ve got going…I need to see better pics of that!

JANETHA. Check My Blog. You may have won something :)

Jenn N. April 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm

What an awesome guest post!! Ildie seems so cool!!! My weight loss story and food is so similar to here!! Going to check out her blog!!!

I work out 4-6 days a week.

Karin April 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Yay Ildie on meals & moves! Love you both ;)

Katie April 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm

loved this post..now I am going to check our Ildie’s blog! :)

Diana April 9, 2010 at 1:21 am

Awesome guest post. I didn’t know Ildies’ blog so I’m gonna check it out! :)
As for your question… I used to exercise 3 times a week but right now I’m making an effort to exercise at least 5 times a week. 6 if it’s possible. I do think a rest day is necessary. One or two. Your body needs rest and sometimes we just wanna live life a little without worrying about getting that exercise in. :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) April 9, 2010 at 2:38 am

greatpost!!! I love the balance of your meals, Ildie…delicious and so fresh!! I love how greek yog is protein packed and doesn’t weight me down either!

YES I always have rest days and ‘active rest days’ meaning I go for a long walk or somehing light. Your hard work is acutally seen OUTSIDE of the gym during your recovery periods. This is when your muscle tissue goes to work. So YES I absolutely have rest days! i work out 5 solid days and 1 active rest day, 1 complete rest day!

favorite indulgence…crusty bread and high fat cheese :) OR key lime pie!!

hayleycepeda April 9, 2010 at 3:21 am

I love your post – thank you so much for sharing your story!! It really is an inspiration and very motivational! I’ll definitely be checking out your blog. :)

Susan April 9, 2010 at 4:27 am

Hi Ildie!!! I’m a fan of your rambles, and especially a fan of anyone who drinks healthy smoothies out of giant beer mugs ;) I started going to the gym as an extremely out of shape person too, so I can totally relate with your learning curve! STILL trying to get to a good spot with that, but it’s motivating enough to keep me going back :)

1. I work out 5-6 days a week. It depends on the intensity of the workouts, sometimes I feel like I need the extra day. Really, I just try to take a rest day every 3-4 days. Anything more exhausts me – I don’t know how people can do 6 in a row!

2. CHEESECAKE. I have a big, legitimate slice probably once a year and it is worth every caloric bite.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 9, 2010 at 5:12 am

What a great, inspirational post! I will definitely be checking your blog out, Ildie =D

I work out, currently about 4-6 times per week, (well, this week it has only been 3…) depending on when I have the time. I try to workout Monday-Friday. I do try to take a rest day, or two if I am feeling like I need it.

I wish I could say chocolate and ice cream… but those are WAY more than occasional for me ;)

I am with Susan ^^ in saying CHEESECAKE! Ahh, I love it. But, I also know what its in it. I usually have 1-2 slices a year, and it is glorious.

xo
K

Emily April 9, 2010 at 5:46 am

Hey Ildie and Janetha! I loved this guest post. :)

I’m definitely a firm believer in rest days. Without them, its hard to have good, tough workouts because your body never has a chance to recover. I always have at least one, and sometimes two a week.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) April 9, 2010 at 6:08 am

I definitely feel that one or two rest days are *important.* I still will usually do a low-key walk or something like that, but it feels refreshing not to have a planned workout. :D

And for a special, occasional treat, I love, love, love icecream or dark chocolate with peanut butter. My favorite! :D

Karissa @ CardioFoodie April 9, 2010 at 6:35 am

1. I think rest days are important. I overdid it a bit training for a recent half marathon and ended up having to rest of an entire week because of injury. I make sure and give myself at least one rest day a week now. (Although I use this day as an excuse to enjoy long leisurely walks with my boys).

2. My favorite treat is going out for Tex Mex and margaritas after a long, crappy week.

Errign April 9, 2010 at 6:41 am

Great guest post :)

I enjoy rest days but I always end up with 2 or 3 after having to accommodate my school & work schedule!

Kelly April 9, 2010 at 6:44 am

Great post! I usually take Sunday as my rest day every week! It totally works for me and renews me for the week ahead!

Valerie April 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

Loved the guest blogger. She’s definitely a keeper ;)

I work out 4-6 times a week. This past month it has been 6 times a week. I’m motivated to get these muscles to show a little more! Rest days are oh so important. Depending on how I’m feeling, I think 1-2 days of rest is good. It’s also super important to listen to your body!

My favorite treat is ice cream and Mexican food. I’m a sucker for Marble Slab’s Sweet Cream and any Mexican joint.

adrienmelaine April 9, 2010 at 8:29 am

Ildie- great guest post! I’m a 5 day a week workouter too- some days I double up, or end up doing 6, but my body feels best on 5- and nothing really beats a Sunday off- or a Friday for that matter.. love it!

hundredtenpounds April 9, 2010 at 9:15 am

I work out 5 days a week. I mix up my training with running 1-2x, swimming 2-3 times a week, and going to the gym to do weights. Now that the weather is better, biking and hiking will be my weekend activities instead of the gym. I HAVE to have at least 1 rest day but preferably 2. I have the tendency to over do it.

Lori April 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

Love this guest post! Super funny! And Ildie, LOVE the pictures! Hilarious! Especially the chocolate treat one… love it!
And thanks Janetha for providing her blog! Double to love, right?!

Happy Friday!

Lori (Finding Radiance) April 9, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Great guest post! I believe in rest days, although they are very hard to do. I do cross training, and sometimes it is just hard to fit in all the activities I love to do with rest days!

Favorite occasional treat? Frozen yogurt, although in the summer it is a little more than occasional…..

Tamizn April 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Love this post! I try to workout 5 times depending on my back I ahve way to many treats! x x

Mom April 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm

What a great story!!! So proud of your accomplishments!! So true you gotta want something bad enough and go for it!

I go 5-6 days and yes a rest day is important.
Ice cream yummmm xoxo!