DFO.

by Janetha on April 4, 2010

in meals,moves

hi, friends! i am currently suffering from DFO.

delicious.

food.

overload.

i am in pretty bad condition. i hope i make it through the night.

meals

it all started this morning when i started my day with pancakes! it is pancake sunday, after all.

280 calories, 4g fat, 29g carbs, 37g protein

i made my usual batch of protein pancakes which includes:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 TB vanilla protein powder
  • generous shake of cinnamon
  • a few pinches of baking powder

it really makes a lot of batter! i was able to cook up five delicious pancakes.

i topped them with chemicals:

everything in moderation :)

i devoured this plate of pancakes alongside some black coffee.

moves

after breakfast i changed into my gym clothes.. but realized i could not go to the gym! it was closed due to the holiday (today was easter, for those of you living behind a rock).. so i decide to complete an insanity workout!

i was scheduled to do a lower body workout, so i chose to do the cardio power & resistance DVD.

it is a 40 minute workout. it starts out with a 10 minute warmup that goes like this.  do the following routine for about 30 seconds each exercise, and complete it for a total of three times through:

• jog in place
  • power jumping jacks (squat into the jack)
  • log jumps (pretend like you are jumping over a log side to side)
  • 123 heisman (3 steps right, knee lift to the chest, 3 steps left, knee lift to the chest, repeat)
  • butt kicks
  • high knees
  • vertical jump (squat down, jump straight up)

whew! burned 85 calories in the warm up alone. insanity kicks my butt.

after a nice stretch session, the workout starts. here are the details:

three circuits of the following exercises:

• power jumps (jump straight up and raise knees to chest)
  • belt kicks (squat to one side, kick leg out front, go other way, kick other leg)
  • “hit the floor” (side to side lunges where you tap the floor with your hand)
  • V-push ups (a pushup with your butt sticking up in the air and your fingers facing each other. this works your shoulders)

after completing the above cycle three times, there is a set of tricep dips before completing the next circuit:

• hurdle jumps (run in place and then when the DVD says, you pretend like you jump a hurdle)
  • globe jumps (basically squat jumps in the shape of a square)
  • moving pushups (pushup, travel left, pushup, travel right)
  • floor sprints (i call these mountain climbers. you are in the pushup position and you alternate tucking your legs in to your chest)

then there is a short set of 8 squats/8 pushups (repeat for one minute)

the workout ends with some stretching. WHEW! i love the insanity workouts!

i cleaned myself up and drove to btown to start cooking the easter feast!!

upon arriving my parents’ house, i saw that the easter bunny had paid a visit :) he (she?) left a basket for my little family:

eggs filled with quarters and candy, puma socks for marshall, three cute and colorful ramekins for me and beef rawhides for penny and randy! thanks, easter bunny!

i immediately got busy in the kitchen. there was a lot of work to do!  i had a big menu planned and wanted to make sure it all got done.

i used recipes that i found online for everything i made today.  i will be linking to each recipe.. but i will not be posting how i made each dish or the ingredients that went into them. if you want to know the recipe for a specific dish i made, just click the link.

my mom had already prepared the main dish: EASTER HAM!

oh wait, no, that’s randy! here is the real ham:

i started things out by making danica’s recipe for healthy scalloped potatoes!

cheesy, bubbly, amazing.

next up was an easter staple: chive & tarragon deviled eggs.

these were definitely different from the deviled eggs i usually make, but they were tasty and provided a nice twist for a change. i think the lemon juice and the tarragon made the eggs taste totally different from what i am used to. sometimes different can be good!

we put the eggs in the refrigerator and i got to work on making dessert.. my very first carrot cake!

these three pans went into the oven to bake while we prepared the side dishes.

one side dish was alton brown’s glazed carrots. (i doubled the recipe). it was a team effort on these ones! my mom peeled the carrots, i chopped them and then MARSHALL took over and did the rest!

oh. my. gosh. these carrots were divine! seriously, people who don’t even like cooked carrots ate these glazed carrots right up!

definitely a five star recipe. i highly suggest you make these! and it turns out marshall is really good at following a recipe :)

another side dish on the menu was asparagus amandine from myrecipes.com.  momma b took this recipe on and the asparagus turned out INCREDIBLE.

i don’t think i’ll ever eat plain old steamed asparagus again! the almonds, red bell pepper and lemon juice really made the dish shine. these simple tweaks made the asparagus go from good to GREAT.

while marshall & momma b were busy working on the side dishes, penny chewed on a bone:

and i fixed up a glorious green salad with spinach, romaine, cucumber, red and green bell pepper, tomato, avocado and shredded carrots.

there was also a HUGE bowl of fresh fruit that my mom prepared before i arrived.

and last, but not least, we had a batch of three seed whole wheat rolls.

it was amazing that everything came together so quickly and efficiently. it is all about teamwork. no more than two hours later, we were sitting down to an incredible easter feast!!!

my plate:

a little of everything, i also had not one but TWO doughy, delicious whole wheat seeded rolls that slipped the camera’s eye.

oh! did you guys know that my mom collects salt & pepper shakers?

i always bring her a set home from any vacation i go on.  can you spy the set we used for the easter feast??

sickeningly cute.

after eating our exquisite meal, there was an easter egg hunt along with other easter shenanigans and birthday fun (today happens to by my grandma’s birthday!)

easter baskets on heads. totally normal! my mom and sis in law have the photos from the egg hunt, sorry i can’t share them with you. it is like pulling teeth to try to get photos from my mom ;) i kid. sort of.

and there was the obligatory easter family photo!

looks like a ghost showed up on randy’s nose!

although i was SO FULL from dinner, i knew the carrot cake had to be completed.

i whipped up the cream cheese frosting and got to work on frosting each layer.

it was stacking up quite nicely!

check out the finished product!!

i am pretty dang proud of my very first carrot cake!

the little carrot + parsley on top was my last minute touch ;)

cute!

everyone was pretty sick of me having a photo shoot with my cake.. so i decided to give it a rest and SERVE IT UP!

don’t be fooled. this was my slice.. but there were lots of “crumbs” that were consumed in the serving of the carrot cake ;)

DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS!

this is, hands down, the best carrot cake i have ever eaten! and i made it.. that is pretty cool! never again, store bought carrot cake. go make the recipe.. NOW.

after dessert, we all laid around in carrot cake comas.

and that, my friends, is DFO.

1. what delicious food do you overload on? meaning.. even though you are full, it is SO delicious that you just can’t stop eating and you end up in a food coma? well, we can add that carrot cake to my list…

2. do you collect anything? i collect christmas ornaments from everywhere i travel. makes for a fun christmas tree. i also want to start collecting coffee mugs, but i am waiting until i move into my house.

hope you had a lovely weekend! enjoy your monday!

xo. janetha b.

P.S. THANK YOU for all the kind words and congratulations on my news about becoming a home owner! you are all so sweet <3

P.S.S. averie is hosting a giveaway! enter! (or don’t.. so i can win!)

april April 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

DFO.. I love all these things you come up with!!

And I love me some chemicals on my pancakes too!

Erica April 5, 2010 at 11:51 am

What a post! I just book marked the scalloped potatoes and the roll recipes! Cannot wait to make them. Fun Easter :) I especially love the puppers pictures (we’re both such suckers for dogs ;). Your carrot cake looks like it turned out awesome.

1. I can’t stop eating carrots and cantaloupe. Luckily they’re both healthy..but I could seriously eat them until I turned orange.

2. Not really a collector!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 5, 2010 at 11:52 am

thanks for the linkback pookie :)

Hayley April 5, 2010 at 12:39 pm

That is some seriously good lookin’ grub Janetha!! Happy Belated Easter! :) I’d have to say I truly cannot stop overeating things like Wheat Thins or those All Bran crackers. Or potato chips…I really “can’t have just one.”

I collect thimbles! I get them from all the places I’ve been to, and friends/family bring them back for me, too. I have 2 shelves full of them in our hallway upstairs, but they don’t take up TOO much room!

MelissaNibbles April 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Whoa. That’s what I call a feast. I’m inviting myself to your moms next year. I’ll bring her salt & pepper shakers!

I have a pretty good collection of foam rollers going right now. I have four that are dented and battered. I should throw them out, but they’re like my kids. One of them is even named Bebbeh.

I can never stop eating pasta. It’s quite sad.

freckledfoodie April 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm

loving the carrot cake! that’s my old time fave.

and idc what they say about sf log cabin. i <3 that stuff! it's seriously goood on anythinggg. just like ketchup :) haha.

The Foodie Diaries April 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm

aaah, DFO. i know that feeling too well. carrot cake always does it to me. slash cheesecake. slash any big eating event. being happy con la familia and GOOD FOOD is just so conducive to DFO!

Lou " Diabetes cakes" April 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I wanted to thank you for this great blog!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Tamizn April 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I had a food overload too! That carrot cake looks amazing! x x

Sara April 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Everything looks amazing! I canNOT stop eating icecream. Food coma + brain freeze = bad combo (well, it’s good going dowm….)

thewhatkateateblog April 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm

i love your cake decorations – so cute!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 5, 2010 at 3:36 pm

cottage cheese in pancakes, what a great idea! I have much more of a salty tooth than a sweet tooth so I’m more tempted to fill up on chips & dip then carrot cake but I’ve definitely been known to overindulge once in awhile. :-)

Susan April 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Ooooh, such good recipes in this post! I lovelovelove scalloped potatoes, so I’ll have to try Danica’s. And you can never go wrong with Alton Brown, everything of his is crazy delicious. I LOVE carrot cake!! Probably my favourite kind of cake so long as it’s pineapple free. Plus, cream cheese icing makes anything taste awesome ;)

1. I’m really bad with grapes!! Put them in front of me and I will much away until they’re gone.

2. I collect elephant figurines. I get a lot as gifts and pick one up whenever I travel – elephants are my favourite animal :)

Lori (Finding Radiance) April 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm

That carrot cake looks fantastic!

In reading that insanity workout – it sounds like you should be doing it on a football field and not in your living room LOL!

Any AB recipe is golden, pretty much. Besides having a TV crush on him, I love his recipes…..

I have serious problems with pralines or mini peanut butter cups. I swear I will eat those until I explode, and then keep eating them.

snackface April 5, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Hahah DFO. Crackin me up! I loved the first ham picture, too :)

Um, I totes overdose on chips and salsa. And cereal. And crackers. Alright, anything crunchy.

I collect shoes. It’s going very well.

Love you!! xoxoxox

elise April 5, 2010 at 5:58 pm

a) congrats AGAIN on being a home owner. you guys are such studs
b) that carrot cake is so cute, even with the carrot/parsley topping, you deserve to take a million pics with it
c) your family pic is so cute!!!

julie April 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm

two words. jellybean overload. well i guess its really 3 words but in my book it’s two words haha anyways

when am i coming over for carrot cake?!

seriously everytime you have a family dinner event i find MINIMUM one recipe that i need to make in life. this time i owe it to danica hahahaha

happy easter girl :)

inmytummy April 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I love carrot cake. Did you put raisins in it? I’d love it even more if you didn’t. It’s hard to find a good carrot cake without raisins.

I am not good with Jelly Beans. Seriously I cannot stop eating them. Specifically Jelly Belly brand, but even a generic brand is good to me. Now I want some jelly beans. I didn’t have any this Easter!

Jenna April 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Carrot cake sure does look delishhh!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm

The ghost on Randy’s nose- bahahah! You should be dang proud of your carrot cake (and the whole meal, really).

The workout looks killah. 80 cals in the warm up- yes please. Looks very very high impact though. Hopefully your tootsies are sorted with the new shoes.

Collections: um you mean other than protein powders and torani sugarfree syrups and nut butters? Geek alert: I collect patches from every new locale I visit. When I’m 104 I will sew them onto a blanket and look at the blanket as I lie there in bed, recalling (or not) all the great places I’ve been. Aw, who am I kidding? I’ll be cuddled in the blanket after running a marathon at 104 (hahahah!!).

Can’t say no: to Fro Yo usually. Unless I’m really full. Because it’s not filling at all- it’s like air. Same for popcorn. Frighteningly, one of the most dangerous things for me is trail mix (nuts and raisins) because it would be very easy to ingest 1000 calories just in mindless snacking. Let’s say the TM is portioned out or doesn’t really belong in the casa.

Katie April 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Yessssssss for cake!!! I had a killer carrot cake today and I think I also added it to my list of “can’t stop” foods…another thing that tops that list is fruit salad or fruit and whip cream. I just can’t stop.

actorsdiet April 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm

love the carrot cake!!!

George Yotov April 6, 2010 at 5:28 am

I didn’t like carrot cakes up until now when I read all the content. I feel like having one now.
Very interestimg site with nice photos! Did you know you could learn an easy trick how to make them even better looking at http://www.phototouchup.net ?

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

I made carrot cake this year for Easter too! YUM!!

xo
K

green tea health September 1, 2010 at 12:44 am

I’ve been following your blog for 3 days now and i have to that say i am starting to like your posts.
how do i subscribe to your blog?

Elina (Healthy and Sane) July 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

I’m going to make this cheesecake this weekend for my dad’s birthday dinner. Can’t wait to dig in!!! :)