400th post!

by Janetha on April 4, 2010

in meals,moves

hey, heyyy, hi!

YEP. post number 400 here on meals & moves! pretty crazy. i remember when i thought 100 posts was a lot.. and now i am quadruple that amount. pretty sweet!

so, some of  you guessed my big news but most of you just didn’t guess.. or you saw me post about it on facebook and that is totally cheating ;) BUT.. big news?

we bought a house!

yep. for the past month i have been keeping my mouth SHUT about this big lifetime event.. but now that we have closed (as of yesterday at 3 PM) i can shout it from the rooftops!

WE ARE HOMEOWNERS!

yay! so.. we found a house awhile back.  i wanted to talk about it when we placed the offer on the house, but momma b would not allow it.  she said it would have jinxed us! let me further explain.. momma b is not only the best mom on the planet, she is also the best real estate agent on the planet! (so if you live in utah and need an agent, she’s your lady!)

anyway, she wouldn’t let me blog about the house or the offer or the inspection or the appraisal or the walk throughs or the stress or the excitement or anything about the house until it was OFFICIALLY ours.

and now it is! so, so, so happy.

i will be taking some photos and/or filming a video to show you guys the place.. but we will not be moving in until july–after the wedding. in the meantime, we will be demolishing the kitchen and redoing it.. along with painting, carpeting and tiling the whole house. installing new windows. possibly redoing one of the bathrooms. yes, we have our work cut out for us these next few months!!

i am SO excited to have our own house and our own KITCHEN! i bet july is going to take forever to get here ;)

between wedding planning and house buying, i have been pretty busy. that is why i introduced guest post thursdays. and to be honest, posting may be a little hectic these next couple months.. but i will do my best to keep the blog up to date.

okay! how about a little food and fitness rambling?

friday.

meals

yesterday after closing on the house i had a new-to-me protein bar:

luna protein chocolate cherry almond. this bar has better ratios than the regular luna bar. this bar has 180 calories, 12g protein and 21g carbs. the regular luna bars have only 8 or 9g protein and around 28g carbs.

this tasted like a candy bar. it was good, but i am not crazy about it. i like bars that aren’t so sweet. i typically pick bars that don’t have chocolate in them, like the nuts & cranberry luna bar. i don’t really like candy bars and that is what this reminded me of. with that said, i still ate the whole thing.. and i enjoyed it.. but i probably won’t buy it often, if ever again.

i didn’t get home until about 7 PM and we had plans to go out with some friends. i designated friday my rest day from exercise (i usually take one of the weekend days off) and instead committed to work out both saturday and sunday this weekend. that works.

for dinner, we had no groceries and didn’t want to go out to eat, so we made the only thing we had supplies for on-hand.

spaghetti.

ground turkey, shallots and basil & garlic marinara served over whole wheat noodles and topped with fat free feta.

the kids got the leftover noodles :)

IMG_9100IMG_9089IMG_9081 IMG_9088

ahahaha. we got some awesome photos, no?

saturday.

i woke up this morning and enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee from the french press and then i was off to the gym!

moves

today was a HIIT day but, more importantly, it was my first day back at doing cardio on the treadmill! yay for running :) i LOVE my new asics.

i patterned this workout off lisa’s 3-2-1 workout she posted the other day. basically, you run 3 minutes at a moderate pace, 2 minutes a bit faster, and 1 minute even faster than the first two speeds.  i increased these speeds by 0.5 with each interval and i factored an increasing incline into the equation. i did a 23.5 minute workout (which was the standard BFL style 20 minutes plus a 3.5 minute cooldown). i named it the way i did because my max heart rate was really up there.. 180 BPM!!

3-2-1 heart rate blastoff HIIT.

minute # speed (MPH) incline
0-1 5.0 0
1-2 5.5 0
2-5 6.0 0
5-7 7.0 1
7-8 8.0 2
8-11 6.5 0
11-13 7.5 1
13-14 8.5 2
14-17 7.0 0
17-19 8.0 1
19-20 9.0 2
20-23.5 3.0 0

total time: 23.5 minutes, total distance: 2.5 miles

i was dying during minute #19-20! i definitely hit my 10 on the RPE scale. it felt awesome! it is crazy what a short 20 minutes can do.

meals

i came home and showered while my sweet potato home fries baked in the oven.

to go with the home fries, i sauteed red onion, diced ham & red bell pepper~

and then i added 4 egg whites to the equation:

i also scrambled in some diced green chiles before plating up my meal.

i garnished the heaping egg white scramble with avocado & tomatoes.

and of course, i doused it all in hot sauce before eating!

delicious.

this afternoon was fun.. we colored easter eggs! here is a photo recap:

IMG_9124 IMG_9132IMG_9133 IMG_9135IMG_9149IMG_9142IMG_9137IMG_9139IMG_9148

fabulous.

i definitely ate some stuff to power me through the easter egg excitement.

grapes, strawberries & a clementine:

times two. (is it freaky to anyone else that strawberries are bigger than clementines these days?)

i also used some of the quitters (AKA the cracked hard boiled eggs that we couldn’t color) to make a delicious open-faced egg salad sandwich.

one sandwich thin layered with avocado (it is hiding under there!) topped with an egg salad made with four hard boiled egg whites, a lot of yellow mustard, a scoop of cottage cheese, garlic salt and black pepper.

it was eggcellent! haha.. you had to see that coming.

tonight we went out to dinner with friends at one of my favorite places:

love the bayou!!

there were some appetizers ordered that i snagged a few bites of:

yep. the alligator cheesecake!

this was a savory, cheesy, fantastic slice of pie. i had one bite and was really impressed with the flavor of the alligator sausage. who knew a cheesecake could be savory? not me. but now i do.

there were also some sweet potato fries that i had my fair share of ;)

for my entree, i ordered the club salad:

holy GIANT SALAD! i ate about half of it. there was no way i could dominate that beast of a salad. it was tasty, though! especially that pesto balsamic vinaigrette there on the right.

we let our dinner digest and had some hang time at a couple different houses before ending the night with…

frozen yogurt!

IMG_9172IMG_9173

this was my first time at one of the serve-yourself frozen yogurt places.  i usually frequent places that serve it up for you, like red mango. i loved the concept of getting exactly what i wanted and paying for just that, according to the weight.

i went with the original tart flavor and topped it with a little of several fruits.. blackberries, strawberries, mangos and blueberries along with a sprinkle of graham cracker  crumbs.

it was the perfect sweet treat to end the night!

well, it is nearly 1 AM so i better hit the hay. i have a big day tomorrow.. lower body workout planned, easter celebration (baskets, egg hunts, oh my!) and my mom and i are cooking up an easter feast!! on the menu:

• easter ham
  • danica’s scalloped potatoes
  • ginger ale glazed carrots
  • asparagus amandine
  • three seeded whole wheat rolls
  • fruit
  • green salad with strawberries
  • carrot cake from scratch (first time!)

should be good :)

sorry i have been MIA this weekend, i will be checking in with you all tomorrow, i should have some down time. hope you are all enjoying your weekend and have a great sunday <3

1. do you rent or own your house? who do you live with? i am so stoked to no longer be a renter and be a home owner! however, i will be still be a renter until july. i currently live with one guy, one girl, one dog and two part time dogs (the other part of the time they are at marshall’s). BUT, come july, i will be living with marshall and our two pups.. i can’t wait!

2. favorite frozen yogurt topping? i like any fruits.. but i am not a fan of toppings like sprinkles, chocolate chips, candy, etc~ i think if i had to pick just ONE topping it would be peaches. too bad they didn’t have any tonight.

HOPPY EASTER!

xo. janetha b.

lowandbhold April 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’m so happy for you honey! I loove the house!

I currently rent, and probably will until a) I learn to mow, or b) I get married to someone who can mow. In reality, a house is just too much room for just me and I don’t want to buy a condo. But I do want to own within the next few years.

homecookedem April 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Happy Easter and congrats on the new house!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks so cute!! :) My husband Andrew and I bought our house about a year and a half ago and we couldn’t be happier! :) We have 2 dogs that live with us also! ;)

My favorite fro yo topping are definitely fruit! I don’t like chocolate chips on mine either… I think they taste funny when they’re eaten with cold fro yo or ice cream…

Karla April 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Congratulations!! Your new house looks so cute!! Can’t wait to get a tour!

Happy Easter!!

Tina April 4, 2010 at 6:40 pm

How exciting!!! And it will be especially special to move into it TOGETHER after the wedding. So you not only have the excitement of getting to live together but also in a new place just for you both. Love it & Congrats!

Also, the Easter egg dying looks like so much fun. I wish I had done it with the baby girl this year.

Jayme April 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm

i currently live in an apartment with the boyfriend, we’re saving up for another year before buying a house. there are no words to describe how excited i am for our own place.
mmmMMMmm.. i love TCBY froyo. i won’t lie, i love the peanut butter froyo topped with chunks of reese cups. it makes it about as nutritious as ice cream, but it tastes just.. ah. delicious.
hoppy easter! :D (i used that one excessively today too.)

Jayme April 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

how rude of me, i forgot to say CONGRATSSS! on the new place! i’m so jealous.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Just catching up on the blog world… CONGRATS on owning a house! SO excited for you, can’t wait for the grand kitchen tour =D

I live with the boyfriend, in an apartment- I think it will be a while before we buy a house, we are both under 25!

And I like fruit and chocolate sprinkles… but not together!

xo
K

Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) April 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Congratulations! I’m so excited to see the inside of it. Getting married and buying a house — such big changes, but so awesome!

closet365project April 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Duuuude! Congrats on buying your house. I am so stoked for you and I can’t wait to see inside! (I’m really nosy like that).

Also that cardio workout looks perfect for me right now. SO trying that tomorrow, if it’s not nice enough to run outdoors.

Happy Easter and congrats again!

kbwood April 4, 2010 at 7:38 pm

CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE LOVE!!
froyo- LOVE the tart! MANGO on tart is the BOMB in my opinion :) soo good!
HAPPY EASTER SUGA PIE!

Lele April 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Your egg salad looks so nummy! We have EIGHTEEN leftover hardboiled eggs from Easter, so I am definitely on the lookout for recipes, hahaha!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Congrats on the house!! We have only been in ours for 8 months and it is so exciting!!

Liz April 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm

congrats homeowner!

did you post your mom’s recipe for the pulled chicken before? i seem to remember it but I keep searching and I can’t find it! Could you point me in the right direction? thanks & happy Easter!

Ashley April 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Congrats!

Homeownership can be amazing or suck horribly. My SO and I have had A LOT of problems with our house and we hate the neighborhood. We need to move ASAP for job opportunities for him, but unfortunately cannot sell our house at market value (it’s lost $40k of it’s value and no bank will refinance or short sale it). It’s been absolutely awful trying to figure out how to unload our place. Awful to the point every time I think about it get nauseous.

We will NOT be owning again for a number of years. As much as I dread renting with two BIG dogs, we have no other options.

Be careful with your reno’s. If you are doing them yourself, make sure you’re up to code and DON’T SKIMP!

onehealthyapple April 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Congrats! Buying a home is one of the scariest things I have ever done! I live with my husband and as he jokes, my shoes :)

I have been reading your blog daily and love it! I’m trying to be as diligent as you are in properly feeding my body and I love all the ideas!

Mama Pea April 4, 2010 at 9:39 pm

House party at Janetha’s!!!! Congratulations, sweetie. If you need any help moving…oh wait, I live WAY too far away (and I hate moving), so you are pretty much on your own. Hey, it counts as a workout, though!

I can never commit to a topping. It’s insane, and if you choose too many it’s just crap. I’m always willing to try (dairy free, of course…). Oooh, what if we made a BFL approved topping bar for protein ice cream?! In a dream world, right?

Hope you have a great Monday!

Jenn N. April 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Congrats on your house!!!! How fun!!! We own our house and I love being able to paint the wall and do fun stuff like that without worrying about getting our security deposit back!

Those pix of your “kids” had me LOL. Seriously hilarious. Carbs sort of make me act that way too. ;-)

Brandi April 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

yay, congrats on the house!!!! we’re starting to look, too. not sure if it will happen soon, but it’s so much fun!

Meg @ Be fit Be Full April 5, 2010 at 7:33 am

OMG! Just catching up~ Congrats on the house!!!!!

Lara (Thinspired) April 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

CONGRATS! Oh your little house is just darling!

Right now we are renting, but my dad is really encouraging us to buy a house right now while the market is down. I’d love a cute little place like that. Congrats to you both!

I’m with you on loving fruit as my fro-yo topping. For some reason I always choose blueberries.

P.S. I want to make your turkey goolash tonight, so if you see me going through your archives, I’m not being creepy, I’m just looking for the recipe ;)

HealthySDLiving April 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Congratulations!!! I can’t even imagine how excited you must be! :)
I’ve never had that bar before but I just picked up some Think Thins…they have NO sugar so I was intrigued…have you ever had them?

freckledfoodie April 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

omg! congrats on the new house! it’s so cute!
you just made me crave sweet potato fries with this post!

Sabrina Nan April 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm

so exciting janetha, congrats!! take before and after photos!

Karin April 6, 2010 at 3:14 am

Congrats on the house and the 400th post ;). That’s fantastic news!!

actorsdiet April 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

oh my lord! congrats – that’s such a huge accomplishment (both the 400th post and the house!)

i used to own in nyc but now we rent in l.a. i feel like home ownership in l.a. may NEVER happen!