see ya next year, march.

by Janetha on March 31, 2010

in meals,moves

i don’t want to talk about my technical difficulties as of late.  let’s just say i have a post typed up and saved to a disc.. and now my P.O.S. laptop up and decided to not read discs anymore. sweet. so i guess i will post ALL that information another day. ah well, at least i have a post on hand for a rainy day.

today was not rainy in the SLC. it was snowy.

piles and piles of snow. on march 31st. i do love winter, but i will be the first to say (actually, who am i kidding, i am definitely not the first to say. i am probably the 83,427th to say) i am ready for sunshine.

I LOVED READING THE COMMENTS ON MY LAST POST!!!! it was seriously so fun to hear why you started blogging (or why you don’t have a blog) and how your blog name came about. f’reals, people, go read the comments if you have not yet. there are some great stories :)

also, i am glad that several of  you can relate with my hatred for sweet cottage cheese. thanks for the suggestions on how i can possibly make it appetizing enough to shove down my throat as a sweet treat~ but i am done trying. it’s like i told clay, luckily it is not a matter of life or death and i will live to see another day. hooray.

meals

meal 1: a waffle with PB mousse & an egg white pillow with ketchup @ 8:55 AM

waffle wednesday! i think alliteration is a really good reason to eat waffles.  speaking of waffles, mrs. how sweet posted an amazing recipe for multigrain waffles today.

this should have been eaten at about 8:40 AM but, as luck would have it, i got called into an impromptu meeting right after taking the photos. ugh. so.. the eggs got cold and the waffle got a tad soggy. but was it still delicious? you bet!

for the eggs, i microwaved 3 egg whites (on 60% power for 2 1/2 minutes, if you must know) and topped them with reduced sugar heinz ketchup. no, jess, our shared love affair with the heinz is not lost! no worries!

the waffle was one nature’s path flax freezer waffle topped with a mousse made with one container of brown cow greek yogurt + 1 TB of PB2. heavenly!

250 calories, 5g fat, 22g carbs, 31g protein

so i have a feeling this post is going to be long.. i will just go right into lunchtime talk.

meal 2: pulled BBQ chicken wrap @ 12:00 PM

you had to see this coming. let’s take a look at the many ways i have used this pulled BBQ chicken this week:

• sunday: by itself with swiss on top
  • monday: on a salad
  • tuesday: in a sandwich
  • wednesday: in a wrap

and i already have an idea for the last little bit of it in tomorrow’s meals :)

i layered a flat out wrap with a wedge of laughing cow cheese, cucumber, red peppers, romaine, BBQ chicken and yellow mustard. it was hard to roll up! so big! (TWSS)

approximately 350 calories, 5g fat, 34g carbs, 39g protein

i was not about to mess around with my afternoon snack after yesterday’s ultimate fail.

i kept it simple and had exactly what i felt like!

meal 3: iced protein mocha & a bowl of cereal @ 3:15 PM

for the mocha, i used 1 cup of black coffee, 1 scoop of EAS chocolate protein powder and ice. simple. delicious.

the cereal was just a bowl mug of nature’s path flakes (3/4 cup) with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (1/3 cup).

does it get any better than coffee and cereal? i really doubt it.

275 calories, 5g fat, 28g carbs, 31g protein

after work i really didn’t want to drive home and then to the gym. not after sitting in traffic for 45 minutes and not after driving in this lame weather:

so.. an insanity workout it was!

moves

according to my body for life challenge, today was a HIIT/cardio day. i did the pure cardio insanity DVD in place of a typical HIIT session.

this was brutal.

brianna was nice enough to send me the link to a website that lays out the insanity workouts in detail. i decided to copy and paste the details of the pure cardio DVD that i did today:

• standard 10 minute insanity warmup which consists of jogging, jumping jacks, the heisman, the 123 heisman, butt kicks, high knees and mummy kicks. this cycle is done 3 times through and is followed by a nice stretching session. (i usually burn around 80 calories in the warmup alone!) you can check out this page for an exact rundown of the warmup.

next, there is 21 minutes of pure cardio insanity consisting of 15 moves:

• suicide lunges (side to side touching the floor)
  • switch kicks
  • wide football sprints
  • stance jacks (think a deep squat and jumping jack combined)
  • pedal (two lunges, then sprint, followed by 2 more lunges, etc)
  • hooks and jump rope (8 hook punches, several high jumps, 8 punches etc)
  • power jacks (like jumping jacks, but you go deep in a wide lunge)
  • level 2 drills (burpee, 8 push ups, 8 run lunges, repeat)
  • frog jumps
  • power knees (switch every 30 seconds)
  • mountain climbers
  • ski down (jump side to side as if skiing)
  • scissor runs
  • suicide jumps (aka burpees)
  • push up jacks (push ups with wide feet)

the workout finishes with a stretching/cool down session and the entire workout is about 40 minutes total.

[source language="."][/source][/source]

WHEW!!

after my workout i laid on the floor in a state of utter and complete exhaustion. and then i was attacked by a couple of rascals.

don’t mind my blinding white skin. utah does not know that it is supposed to be spring.

after a nice long icing session that involved my ankles and two big bags of peas, i decided i needed to eat.

meals

my cute fiance (i still hate that word. can we pick something else? like elephant?) went to the grocery store while i was doing my insanity workout and then he took it a step further and cooked his and hers tacos/taco salad!

bless his heart, he can make two things: tacos and spaghetti.

the meat mixture contained a diced red pepper, a diced red onion, diced green chiles, ground turkey & taco seasoning.

mmmm.. sooo meaty! (said in the “chat stew” voice from the soup. i love joel.)

the toppings included avocado, tomato, black beans, salsa, greek yogurt & hot sauce.

IMG_8954IMG_8955

this is how you build a taco salad. ready, go!

layer 1: romaine.

layer 2: black beans.

layer 3: meat.

layer 4: avocado & tomato.

layer 5: greek yogurt & salsa.

layer 6: hot sauce. this brand is particularly delicious and CALIENTE!

and viola!

meal 4: taco salad @ 7:30 PM

it was super duper gross.

marshall had tacos. and coffee. i caught him with his mouth full.

the boy ate 5 tacos. five. f-i-v-e. and has runway model legs. damn him.

after dinner it was adventures in baking! ermm.. NON baking, actually. no oven was used in the process of this project.

i made susan’s apple cinnamon protein bars with the following changes:

• 2 cups rolled oats
  • 4 scoops 6 scoops vanilla whey powder
  • 6 tbsp 4 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp 2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup raisins oh HELL no, no raisins for me.
  • one unsweetened applesauce cup (such as Mott’s) 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup probably 2/3 cup water

*mix well, put into a 8×8 or 9×9 pan and refrigerate. makes 8 bars.

i told her i was going to make them now:

apparently there is a 3 hour time difference between us, as i was not making protein bars at 11:11 pm. (oh! make a wish! do you guys do that? i always do.)

mix, mix, mix.

do you want to see the rad jar i keep my protein powder in? well, whether you do or you don’t, i am going to show you.

my sister custom makes me something volcom (it is a brand that i used to be obsessed with) every year. she is so awesome. and i love her. hi marisa! this jar has a big volcom stone on the bottom. it is perfect for protein powder!

i can’t wait to try the bars! they are in the fridge now. i am sure that will be my meal 5. so, in that case, i will tell you the stats.

meal 5: apple cinnamon protein bar @ 10 PM

photo to be taken when i eat it.

215 calories, 5.5g fat, 20g carbs, 22g protein

yay!

*************************************************************

a few things:

1. i will be posting guest posts every thursday for awhile. i need a break.. i am a busy girl! i have some great ones lined up.. first one starts tomorrow. get excited!!!
  2. i am in the market for a blog makeover. if you have any suggestions as to who i can use for a total blog overhaul, please send some references my way!
  3. i had a whole list of awesome posts from around blog land for you to check out but they are on the untouchable disc. i will post those links for you prior to the guest post i have lined up.
  4. i almost have 15,000 comments. holy crud, that is pretty cool. i will be sending out a super sweet prize to the 15,000th commenter.
  5. march is OVER! can you believe it? here is a list of the national food holidays for the first week of april!
  • april 1: national sourdough bread day
  • april 2: national peanut butter and jelly day
  • april 3: national chocolate mousse day
  • april 4: national cordon bleu day
  • april 5: national raisin spice bar day AND national caramel day
  • april 6: national caramel popcorn day
  • april 7: national coffee cake day

okay.. that is all she wrote.. time to go enjoy one of those protein bars!

i leave you with some photos of the ones i love :)

IMG_8938IMG_8941 IMG_8945IMG_8958

1. what is the last recipe you tried out? i can’t wait to sample susan’s bars :) they look so good!

2. of the national food holidays for the first week of april, which are you most excited for? PB&J day for me! yesss.

xo. janetha b.

Hallie April 1, 2010 at 10:05 am

I love that your quoted Joel McHale. As far as recipes go, this weekend I made coconut macaroons and chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. Both came out fantastic :-)

Ashley April 1, 2010 at 10:12 am

Omgosh I need a basset. That’s it! Who can resist that face?! Or faces for that matter. Gwuf I love your dogs.

And Elephant is a fine replacement for fiance. I’m down.

julie April 1, 2010 at 10:20 am

for real i was reallllllly hoping that sunday was going to be national jelly bean day. can we please declare it that anyway?? well i’m going to.

haha dude i for real thought this was going to be april fools it didn’t snow. that sucks in a mayje way! but lovin your intensity or insanity? i never get it right haha

luckytastebuds April 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

i SO wanna see how those protein bars look….they sound wholesome and delicious!!! Holy molz 15000 comments?!??! YEAHH that’s cool, but that’s also cuz you’re a rockin’ writer and a fabulous chef/role model/adventure monger. :) Conggratulations!!!

The last recipe I tried was the Eating Well BBQ pulled chicken in a slow cooker. IT WAS amazing probably because i didn’t have half the things on the recipe and had to wing it all with what was in my pantry. Proof that cooking ain’t a science. It’s allll about the loove. :)

lowandbhold April 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ick. That snow would piss. me. off. I hope it departs soon and spring springs ASAP.

1. I tried out a baked minestrone recipe, but I changed it a lot. It was tasty.
2. Def PB&J day. I hope I remember!

Tay April 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

Hi Missy!! I always make a wish. Every time the clock strikes a triple number I do it! I’m looking forward to peanut butter and jelly day! DUH!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

I always hated the word “fiance” too! Especially when we first got engaged. I subsided to boyfriend for a few months. Don’t worry, pretty soon it will be husband, which sounds a lot cooler than fiance if you ask me!
That picutre of you and the pups is adorable. So cute:D
Last recipe I tried out…I have to admit, since I’ve been turbo busy, I’ve been less cooking and more slapping things together!
Have a fabo day, Janetha love:D

Holly April 1, 2010 at 11:22 am

love it all. the taco salads, the coffee + cereal (amazing combo) and YOU! i feel ya on the life craziness thing – too much to handle. that’s why we gotta kick back and just enjoy…

love you lady!

Jill {irun ieat} April 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

First of all – I love your blog. You always have the best food!! My last recipe I used was actually one of yours. Last night’s dinner was just going to be the normal whole wheat spaghetti and sauce, but then I saw your blog and added broccoli and feta. How have I not thought to try this!?!? It is YUMMY!! We will be making it many many more times.

And yes the snow sucks! I live in Utah too (Salt Lake/Sandy) and I am so tired of the snow. Especially since this past weekend was somewhat nice.

Ildie April 1, 2010 at 11:34 am

1. I made bowlful of this and that with some Mexican flare the other night. NO idea what to call it but it tasted brilliant! It had rice, beans, morning star grounds, tomato, taco seasoning, sauteed mushrooms, pepper and onions. Topped with sour cream and enjoyed with a side of chips. AHH-MAY-ZINGER!

2. PB&J of COURSE! I shall celebrate accordingly tomorrow with my PB&J oats, as I do every single morning at work. I’m so predictable. ;)

XOXO

Sarah April 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm

your pulled chicken looked so amazing that i made my own! i’ve never made it before and have neither a slow cooker or an oven, so it was an experiment. a super delicious one. thanks for the idea :)

i’m looking forward to pbj day!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Yummy taco salad! I use greek yogurt as sour cream too! ;-)

Karina April 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

OMG joel mchale is the best!!!! i make sure i watch my soup weekly :) and now my community as well “lets talk about chicks man….chicks man.”

homecookedem April 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I am so glad I’ve finally found your blog!! You are too funny and adorable!! :) And your puppies look so lovable!! :) Those protein bars look great, thanks for the recipe!! :)

Susan April 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

“i think alliteration is a really good reason to eat waffles”

Friggin right it is!! ;)

I didn’t get your comment until the morning. I was fast asleep by 11:11, making wishes in my dreams ;) I hope they turned out okay! Sometimes I have to keep them in the freezer because I get heavy-handed with the water.

I hate the word fiance too. It sounds so pompous – fee-ansaaaay. FIVE TACOS?? That’s pure insanity. Like, more insane than the insane workout from the insanity dvd.

1. Your turkey goulash!!! It was fabbity fab.
2. PB&J, obvi.

Have an awesome Thursday night/long-weekend!! I hope you played some pranks on your boss today. Mine is mega OCD, and I was tempted to go rearrange things in his office…

danica April 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

That was so sweet that Marshall not only went to the store, but, he made you dinner too! I know it’s the one meal you said he can make, but, you need to tell him to give Jay tips :D

glad you are taking one night off a week – it all gets so overwhelming.

LOVE the pics of you, the pups and Marshall with the pups :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness April 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Snow?! wowza.. I’ve become such a wuss, it was 80 in Phoenix that day, and they told us it was suppose to cool way down to 60 today and I was sad about it, haha. I desperately (ok, maybe that’s an exaggeration) need to get my hands on PB2, they’ve been out of stock for ages! :(

snackface April 2, 2010 at 7:04 am

MattyRich has model runway legs, too! I’m totes jealous.

OMFG PUPPIESSSS!!!!!!!! I’m gushing. I love your babies. What breed is Penelope again? I’m thinking of getting myself a graduation present… :)

I’m stoked for today, PB+J day! I’ve already had some PB, but I guess I’ma do it again!

Luuuuuuv you.

Lara (Thinspired) April 2, 2010 at 11:39 am

EVERY time you make taco salad I think, “I’m making tacos/taco salad tonight!” and then somehow I never do. Maybe I’ll actually make some this weekend!

Seriously, I missed Sourdough Bread Day?! AND I live in San Francisco?! How did that happen?

Best Protein Bars April 8, 2010 at 11:32 am

amazing how much stuff you’ve cooked, i’m jealous.

marisa April 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I was cleaning out my reader and saw this post… I guess I never saw it again- but I am so happy that the Volcom jar is getting good use. I love to make those things for you! You should get some Volcom denim on sale sometime and I can make something with it…

Ashley March 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

For the protein bar nutritional info, how many servings does this recipe make?? Thanks :)

Janetha March 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Eight bars–says it in the recipe :) xo