five.

by Janetha on March 23, 2010

in meals,moves

truth be told, i was channeling my inner luniz and was going to call this post, “i got five on it”.. but then i realized that decision might cause me to lose approximately 16.439% of my readership so i decided against it :P

instead, i titled this post after one of my most favorite treats on the face of this earth:

yum. i will eat you on free day, mister vanilla bean five.

let’s get to it!

five things i want to tell you about yesterday:

1. i had an incredible HIIT on the elliptical!!
  2. minute # speed range (MPH) resistance level
    14-15 7.0 – 8.0 8
    15-16 8.0 – 9.0 10
    16-17 9.0 – 10.0 12
    17-18 10.0 – 11.0 14
    18-19 11.0 – 13.0 16
    19-20 6.0 – 7.0 6
  3. i had the best protein cake yet! banana nut protein cake topped with peanut butter.. IMG_8353
    made with 1 scoop BSN lean dessert banana nut bread protein powder, 3 TB egg whites, 1 TB applesauce and 3/4 tsp baking soda
  4. my latest favorite green monster concoction is this pina colada one.. recipe page found HERE!
  5. i got nine hours of sleep last night and i am participating in susan’s sleep challenge!
  6. my macro ratios for yesterday (protein/carbs/fat) were 37/43/20. not too bad! i aim for 40/40/20.

five silly names you guys have for body parts:

1. dingee” for the male body part
  2. cookie” for the female body part, which i find quite disturbing, as i love cookies…
  3. tut” for the belly button
  4. weenis” for the extra elbow skin (i call it that too, i think several people do!)
  5. human fanny pack” for the lower gut (probably the one i laughed at most)

there were more. check out the comments section to see what the others are. i had to narrow it down!

five people who gave me great advice on my ankles (thanks):

1. erika
  2. leah
  3. rebecca (reader)
  4. gabriela
  5. amanda (reader)

edited to add: also thanks to jo (reader) for the advice, just got your email :)

i ate five meals today, like every other day of my life.

meal 1: peanut butter chocolate protein oats @ 9:45 AM

1/3 cup dry oats (cooked on stovetop using 2 cups water), 1 scoop EAS chocolate premium protein powder, 1 TB mighty maple peanut butter.

i always have a fine dining experience when i eat breakfast:

330 calories, 11g fat, 27g carbs, 33g protein

i also had coffee. black. delivered to my desk by the boy, thanks babe.

five favorite drinks:

1. coffee
  2. water
  3. kombucha
  4. unsweetened iced tea
  5. english breakfast tea

at one time in my life, beer would have made the cut, but not anymore. i guess i have changed.

five new blogs i’ve added to my google reader:

1. eat the damn cake (these girls really tell it like it is. great read.)
  2. from tooth to nail (my BFL tracker friend!!)
  3. fed up with lunch (a school teacher blogging about eating school lunch each day)
  4. peanut butter fingers (how i did not already read her blog is beyond puzzling)
  5. from party to hearty (a dude food blogger? who knew?)

there are more. these are just the most recently added :)

meal 2: turkey + avocado sandwich & cucumber chips + ranch dip @ 1:00 PM

2 slices of sunflower market’s whole grain bread, 2 oz columbus reduced sodium herb roasted turkey, 1 small tomato, 1 oz smashed organic avocado, 1/2 TB nayonaise, 1/2 TB yellow mustard, salt & pepper

today is national chips and dip day.. and since i can’t have copious amounts of tortilla chips with guacamole, i decided cucumber chips with dip (1/3 cup oikos 0% greek yogurt+hidden valley ranch seasoning) was the best alternative.
IMG_8365IMG_8363

this lunch was perfection on a plate. i’m still smiling about it.

280 calories, 6g fat, 34g carbs, 27g protein

five most recently starred posts in my google reader:

1. taste & tell: thai shrimp and noodles
  2. meet me in the kitchen: homemade graham crackers with toasted marshmallow milkshakes
  3. what’s for dinner: white girl tamale casserole
  4. how sweet it is: happy chicken
  5. no meat athlete: vegan almond-quinoa muffins

as you can see.. i have a lot of recipes on the “want to make” list. one of these days…

five foods i would never want to have to go without:

1. greek yogurt
  2. cereal
  3. bread
  4. ice cream
  5. cheese

oh look at that.. mainly carbs. weird. (insert sarcasm here)

meal 3: PB&J greek yogurt + nature’s path flakes @ 4:30 PM

1 cup oikos 0% + 2 TB PB2 + 1/3 cup nature’s path flakes + 1 TB smucker’s sugar free

247 calories, 3g fat, 28g carbs, 29g protein

five upcoming national food holidays i am excited about:

1. national waffle day (march 25)
  2. national spinach day (march 26)
  3. national something on a stick day (march 28)
  4. national peanut butter and jelly day (april 2)
  5. national grilled cheese sandwich day (april 12)

do you realize this means i will be having waffles two days in a row? tomorrow for waffle wednesday and thursday for national waffle day! exciting.

five of my favorite moves:

1. bulgarian split squats
  2. wide grip pulldowns
  3. climbing the stairmill
  4. jump squats
  5. reverse decline crunches

this was really hard to choose just five…

i did my upper body workout today, which involves working five different muscles (weird!)

1. back: single arm dumbbell rows~ 12 @ 17.5#*, 10 @ 20#*, 8 @ 22.5#*, 6 @ 25#*, 12 @ 17.5#. bent over barbell rows~ 12 @ 40# (*15 jump squats between sets)
  2. shoulders: upright barbell rows~ 12 @ 25#*, 10 @ 30#*, 8 @ 35#*, 6 @ 40#*, 12 @ 25#. dumbbell shoulder press~ 12 @ 15# (*20 pike crunches on bench between sets)
  3. chest: dumbbell chest press~ 12 @ 17.5#*, 10 @ 20#*, 8 @ 22.5#*, 6 @ 25#*, 12 @ 20#. dumbbell flyes~ 12 @ 12.5# (*30 elbow to knee crunches on bosu (15 each side, consecutive) between sets)
  4. biceps: cable biceps curls~ 12 @ 25#, 10 @ 30#, 8 @ 35#, 6 @ 40#, 12 @ 25#. cable hammer curls~ 12 @ 35#
  5. triceps: overhead cable extension~ 12 @ 30#, 10 @ 35#, 8 @ 40#, 6 @ 45#, 12 @ 35#. cable push downs~ 12 @ 35#

five dog breeds i hope to own in my lifetime:

1. bernese mountain dog (penelope’s relative)
  2. brown doberman (this will be our next breed!)
  3. german shepherd (they are soooo smart)
  4. great dane (but it would be hard because they don’t live long :( )
  5. newfoundland (can you tell i love BIG dogs?)

this, obviously, does not include the dog breeds i already own or HAVE owned.. which are basset hound (randy), entlebucher/cavalier mix (penelope), yellow labrador (mable) and golden retriever (rooster, my childhood dog).

five places i hope to visit in the next five years:

1. greece (hello, authentic hummus)
  2. rome, italy (i’ve been to southern italy)
  3. new york city (yep. i am so behind the times, i’ve never been to NYC!)
  4. costa rica (my parents go at least once every other year.. maybe they will take me one of these times! wink, wink, mom :) )
  5. thailand (holly’s and angharad’s ramblings of how epic it is make me want to go there more than i already did)

i think that traveling is the best way you can spend your money.

meal 4: turkey goulash @ 7:30 PM

286 calories, 6g fat, 32g carbs, 25g protein

recipe page coming soon.

five most recent blogs i commented on:

1. lauren @ say what you need to say
  2. kacy @ low.. and behold!
  3. caroline @ the broccoli hut
  4. kailey @ snackface
  5. kristin @ cook, bake & nibble

i read a grip of blogs.. but don’t always comment on all of them. sure wish i had the time to do so!

five favorite body-for-life friendly meals:

1. cottage cheese+turkey+avocado+wasa crackers+black pepper
  2. PB&J greek yogurt mess
  3. mighty maple vanilla protein oats
  4. turkey meatloaf muffins
  5. peanut butter, banana & chocolate protein shake

meal 5: banana nut bread protein cake + chocolate almond milk @ 10:00 PM

no photo.. yet.. as i have not had meal five.. but after i publish this, i am going to go make it!

five things i last used my debit card for:

1. target: $48.83 (eggs, a bunch of produce, brown rice, several canned fruits/veggies, toilet paper, low sodium soy sauce, egg white noodles, minced garlic, probably some more stuff that i can’t recall right now…)
  2. porcupine pub & grille: $6.91 (grilled chicken breast & side salad from sunday night)
  3. whole foods: $42.15 (teras whey blueberry protein powder, red potatoes for BBQ we went to saturday, almond and coconut extracts for the almond joy cookie bars i made on saturday, bulk bin items: whole wheat pastry flour, slivered almonds, shredded coconut.. also all for the cookie bars—side note, check out averie’s post on bulk bins)
  4. starbucks @ target: $1.17 (a coffee for marshall)
  5. whole foods: $32.95 (gift card to thank lizzy for her AWESOME powwow bars she sends me, xanthan gum to mail to karin when i finally get around to it, oat bran to make lisa’s protein muffins)

wow.. you can see where my priorities lie. what can i say, i’m a foodie…

five things that make me happy:

1. i booked our engagement photo sesh appointment today :)
  2. tomorrow is going to be fabulous.. waffles, lunch date, hang time with the boy and the dogs, the return of crock pot wednesday!
  3. today marshall told me that he wants to be a scientist when he grows up
  4. spring is in the air..i LOVE spring
  5. i am going to buy new running shoes this week

so many more than five reasons to smile :)

1. what is the last thing you used your debit card for?

2. give me a list of five!! anything goes!

xo. janetha b.

Jenna March 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

love your post of 5!
ice cream looks delishhh!

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am

April 2nd is National PB&J day? Sign.me.up!! Love your pb & j yogurt mess Andddd the oikos + hidden valley ranch combo. I may have to try that tonight!

My 5 favorite types of Nut Butter:
1) Whole Foods Organic Unsweetened PB
2) Nutella
3) Nutzo
4) TJ’s almond butter with sea salt
5) PB & Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams

Melissa March 24, 2010 at 8:20 am

So many lists and I loved reading every one of them! I’d loved to own a Bernese Mountain Dog someday too! But I love that Penelope looks like one but is so much smaller.

louisianagrown March 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

Five things I want right now:
1. Coffee, but it will make me have to pee
2. Lunch, but it’s only 10:20
3. For my next class to be canceled
4. To not have writer’s block
5. For my 10k pace to be a whole minute faster

And that’s such a great idea to mix the ranch seasoning with greek yogurt. I just added it to my shopping list, and I’m craving ranch and cucumbers right this second!

Lauren Christine. March 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

last thing i used my CC for: a sleeping bag from REI for my upcoming trek in Patagonia–so stoked!

5 things i am grateful for today:
1. having the office to myself today because most people couldn’t make it in because of the “crazy” Colorado spring snow storm.
2. warm english breakfast tea on a snowy morning.
3. your HIIT posts.
4. having leftovers waiting for me in the fridge for dinner.
5. my boyfriend for carrying me to bed last night after i fell asleep watching LOST (how is that possible?!!?! i must have been exhausted!).

Angharad March 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

Thanks for the shout out, Janetha b. I heart you!

Last thing I used my debit card for:
Local food coop: cheese, bread and olives for dinner party appetizers at a friends’. Happiness.

Annnd here are my five favourite countries other than the US and UK:
1) Argentina (times a million)
2) Thailand
3) Italy
4) Indonesia
5) France

I agree about travel being the best way to spend your moolah!

Kelly March 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

My top 5 TV movies:

1. Waitress
2. Under The Tuscan Sun
3. The Holiday
4. Deep Blue Sea
5. Where The Heart Is

GREAT POST GIRL!

Kelly March 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

Oh I meant top 5 movies…

Mari March 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

Five things that I used my debit card for:
1) Purchase groceries at Keyfood
2) Purchased even more food at Tar-Jay
3) Monthly fee for Gym
4) More food at Keyfood lol
5) Some goodies from Sports Authority!

hahaha what does that say about me? I love to eat BUT workout just as much!

ohhh I tried the sweet juevos today! (hmmm that sounded naughty)

ellie March 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

5 reasons I love this post:
1) vanilla bean ice cream
2) I love lists
3) killer turkey sandwich
4) PBJ yogurt bowl
5) workout tips!

Last thing I used my debit card for was groceries :D

Question about HIIT: I do the elliptical and my trainer showed me how to set it up to do a 15 min workout. It changes automatically abot every 90 seconds from medium resistance to highest, to medium-high, to low to medium, etc…is this anything like HIIT?

Katherine: What About Summer? March 24, 2010 at 9:59 am

Six ingredients including your spoon!

Five things that are hard to clean off of silverware:
1. Peanut-butter
2. Grits and oatmeal
3. Cooties after your sibling
4. Cheese
5. Butter grease

freckledfoodie March 24, 2010 at 10:46 am

i’ve gotta try the banana protein cake! i’m almost out of bsn though! gotta order more.

5 reasons to love janetha b. :)
1. you’re adorable!
2. we share the same tastebuds, i swear!
3. you’ve got an awesome, original name.
4. you’re for real.
5. you’re motivating & encouraging!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

Five things I am loving right now:
1. THE SPRING!
2. Getting my yoga on… just learned crow pose =D
3. Fresh produce… it is getting tastier, especially the fruit!
4. Goat cheese, goat yogurt, anything produced by goat milk ;)
5. Reading awesome blogs like yours =D

I last used my card at Whole Foods! On: Greek yogurt, organic flavoured yogurt, all natural gum, sundried tomato pesto (to use for your reicpe!), goat cheese and hot bar!

xo
K

Holly March 24, 2010 at 11:48 am

i love you.

thailand forever. go. now.

Holly March 24, 2010 at 11:49 am

the last 5 things i did:

shove my face with cheerios.

pee.

buy a diet coke.

sit in a hearing for 3 hours.

shove my face with more cheerios.

Bre March 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

I love that sandwich and cucs it looks so summery!

I only use my debit for emergencies otherwise I rack up some points with the credit cards! the last time I used any sort of plastic was lunch yesterday! It was a New York rueben sandwich with some pretzles and iced tea! it was nom nom nom

5 things I’m greatfull for today..

1. Ibuprophen and Tylenol (I’m sick cut me some slack!)
2. I’m not at work, cause I’m sick
3. leftover meatballs
4. My boyfriend that went into work late to take care of me
5. Sunny weather!!!!

april March 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm

You are so darn creative! I love your posts! I’m pretty much in love with bulgarian split squats. they’ve done wonders for my butt!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Glad I could help with the ankle situation!! I love this post- I feel like there’s so much fun stuff in it! Five things I wish I was doing right now instead of sitting in class:

1. Eating chocolate
2. Watching the Real Housewives
3. Baking cookies
4. Sleeping
5. Reading blogs (ooops, sounds like I’m a slacker)

Have a great hump day love!!

Susan March 24, 2010 at 12:33 pm

LOVE this post! And love that you got nine hours sleep, that sounds blissful :) I forgot to say in my last comment – I get up at 5:30 every morning. How do I do it? I go to bed at 9:30pm. Ie, I have no life :P Stepmill is one of my new fave moves too!

1. Groceries, obvi.

2. List of top 5 favourite nut butters:
1. peanut butter
2. almond butter
3. cashew butter
4. Deb’s OMG OMG OMG
5. Marshmallow fluff

I had an aaaawesome waffle combo today. Hope you’re having a bodacious Wednesday love! xoxo

katie March 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I LOVE this Post and I give You Five Thumbs Up On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that icecream too!!!!! Yum!!!!

Last thing I used my debit card for was a Coldstone Icecream Cookie Dough Cake for my sons birthday! 26 bux and a happy boy!!!

5 things that make me smile……….

1. reading wonderful blogs like yours
2. the smell of fresh cut grass
3. my pug snoring when she sleeps
4. My son kissing me goodnight
5. My fiance lying next to me at night

Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lowandbhold March 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I’ve never been to NYC either! Craziness!

Waking Up Hungry March 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I have kept this post “unread” all day so I can go back to it when there was time! Great post!

Five things on my mind lately:
1. I need to save $1,000.00 by August
2. Is my diet well rounded?
3. Do I buy my domain name and host my own blog?
4. I hate answering the phone at work
5. I better not have to work on Easter!

The last thing I used my debit card for was groceries on Sunday. Usually hubby does all of our day to day running around and purchasing.

Have a great day!

actorsdiet March 24, 2010 at 2:29 pm

i love your fives!
i can’t remember the last time i used my debit card! i’m such a credit card gal…

Tamizn March 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Love this post! I bought 3 books by Patrick Holford.

5 things I would like in my future:

1. to be a personal trainer
2. my own home
3. a chihuahua
4. meet a man
5. have a smart car

Have a good day sweets x x

From Party To Hearty March 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Great post! And i need to try that ice cream! I think my last debit purchase was taking someone out to lunch. Before that, I can’t remember.
5 Things I ate today:

1. Peanut Butter
2. Banana
3. Oatmeal
4. Greek Yogurt
5. Soy yogurt

Runeatrepeat March 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Five Fave Fruits:
1. Watermelon/Sandia
2. Cherries
3. Grapes/Uvas
4. Bananas
5. Pineaple/Pina

BroccoliHut March 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Wow, that bread looks amazing!!
Last debit purchase=groceries at WF. Figures.
Top five uses of PB:
1. Peanut butter noodles with tofu
2. Peanut butter chili
3. Ginger Peanut Tofu Salad
4. Elvis sandwich (banana, PB, tempeh bacon)
5. PB&honey sandwich

simplyshaka March 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I want to save this post in my favorites because it just made me smile so much! I love lists and love seeing others list so yay!

Debit card was for sushi and beer last night

Five Things that made me smile today:
1)Finally talking to cute boy on the bus
2)Catching up on my work emails
3)Getting a free iced coffee at the Bucks
4)Walking my dog and watching him sashay (sp?)
5)The Sun—-I heart springtime!

hayleycepeda March 24, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I loved your post of five!! I really liked how you showed ALL of the meals you ate in one day. That’s awesome! I’m going to try your Greek yogurt mess…PB makes everything betta…:)

We’re headed to Greece this summer! Can’t wait to try the hummus! Too bad I can’t have ouzo, though I hate licorice so I’m not too upset. I’ve also been to Rome & NYC (GREAT cities!) but not the others.

Awesome post Janetha!!

Lizzy March 24, 2010 at 4:04 pm

YOU are amazing!! I am in loveeee with this POST! the 5-dog breeds is ballin’…you made my life with that gift card(THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH X100)…and I am beyond excited for you and your going-to-be-GORGEOUS WEDDING!!! I hope your wednesday is going FABULOUSLY! xoxo!

glidingcalm March 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm

that goulash and sammy look bomb! and i love your cutely stacked cucumber chips. that is just adorable.

i love you!

Jenny March 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

this morning I used my debit card to pay a parking ticker. That didn’t make me happy. 5 things that do make me happy, however…

1. peanut butter puddle over a hot bowl of oats
2. rockin’ out a head stand in yoga
3. the fact that americas next top model is on right now
4. the fact that i’m going home for easter break tomorrow
5. knowing that i have a caramel oikos waiting in the fridge to be consumed for dessert.

oh, family and friends kind of make me happy too.

love you so much it’s rediccccc.

Whole Body Love March 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

5 Foods I Cannot Live Without

1. Vanilla Oikos
2.Sweet Potato
3. Xantham Gum
4. Kashi Go Lean
5. Steam In Bag Broccoli

Five Things I Do Everyday

1. Read this blog, no joke.
2. Rock Snuffy to sleep
3. Dishes
4. Shower
5. Brush my teeth X2 lol

julie March 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

i’m mad at you. how in the world do you have pb2. wtf i ordered mine in JANUARY and it’s still not here yet. i’m calling bell plantation tomorrow.

thats on my list of 5 things i need to do tomorrow.

along with make yoats in the morning
go to school
take core fusion with missy from missy maintains
and celebrate that at 5pm i’ll be on spriiiiiiiiiiiing break!

Allie March 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

My Fiver:

1. I used to freaking love that song “i got five on it”, you definitely should’ve used that for your title!
2. that sandwich looks amazingly delicious
3. can i please travel to greece, costa rica, & thailand with you?
4. the foods I cannot live without are bacon & mushrooms : )
5. ILYLB!