your meals & moves! deb h.

by Janetha on February 10, 2010

in meals

I’m a Sweaty Mess. Read on to see why!

Oh, what? You want to see my mug? Ok, here it is…

Hi, I’m a big weird machine that Deb thought was hoaky until she actually used it.

Dearest Mealie Movers! Janetha asked me (and about 1000 of her closest friends) to share a favorite meal and/or move on her blog. Given that I adore this girl, I obliged and opted to share a move. So here it is…my favorite new workout-toy is the….

VIBRAT*R!!

Whoops, that’s not what I meant. But did it get your attention?! Yeah, I’ll BET!

No, the really new cool toy (that I don’t own myself, sniff sniff) is called a Power Plate. The Power Plate is a vibrating platform upon which you can do any number of exercises and stretches. I know that Mama Bean (aka Janetha’s mom, aka Supermom) has one in her gym. I have a Swedish cousin (Hi Eva!) who has one and SWEARS that when she used it regularly, it made her body firm like a teenage girl. Her words. No kidding. They are getting more and more popular so I’d expect them to be popping up in gyms with more frequency in the future.

There are numerous studies from peer-reviewed journals (and NASA and other organizations) that can be reviewed on the website in the "research" section. You should definitely go have a look. Some of the claimed benefits include increased strength, flexibility, balance, bone density, power, and weight loss. Study subjects include athletes, space travelers and obese or geriatric patients, among others.

Movie stars are even hopping on the buzzing bandwagon: Sting & The Police, Clint Eastwood, Courtney Cox, Elle McPherson & Hilary Swank are all singing The Power Plate’s praises on the website. I personally used it last week for a mere 20 minutes to perform a very basic series of lunges and squats and let me just tell you: I was sweaty to start with, and then I was sore FOR DAYS. In a good way, sore. Time will tell if it’s a miracle machine or if it knocks all the neurons around in your brain so much you don’t care about whether or not you are fit or broke your hip.

Power Plate’s own site only has the following health warning: "IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWN MEDICAL CONDITION, OR ANY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS ON YOUR ABILITY TO EXERCISE, POWER PLATE STRONGLY RECOMMENDS THAT YOU SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE USING THE POWER PLATE MACHINE." That’s a bit cagey if you ask me. The list of contraindications I saw above the machine at the gym was as long as my arm.  I searched Power Plate’s website but could find nothing more detailed than what I just provided.

However, I did find this list on UK site that sells a similar product called Vibrostation:

• Pregnancy
  • Acute thrombosis conditions
  • Cardio-vascular Disease
  • Artificial / Synthetic Joints
  • Tumours
  • Epilepsy
  • Hernia
  • Severe Diabetes
  • Severe Migraines
  • Recent wounds from surgery
  • Recent Alien implants including, pins, screws, coil artificial limbs, joints etc.

Tee hee- those Brits- they say "Alien" implants- like a little ET will be living inside of you! Haha, they crack me up! Plus look at the word Tumors- they can’t even spell good or nothin!

Ok these exercises look cool- some lunges, squats, tricep dips… you know, the usual suspects

Um, ok, if I saw someone doing some of THESE moves on the vibrat*r machine, I’d be thinking, "Um (my new fave word), what are you doing?"

Question:  Don’t those posters above remind you of those Kama Sutra posters (wink wink, you know the ones I mean)…kinda like this one:

I know that this is a PG-13 rated blog, so I provided a poster of the Kama Sutra of Reading…Cute, huh?

I sneaked this photo at the gym (a highly prosecutable act I’m sure) to show you how sweaty I was after 20ish minutes doing simple lunges & squats on the Power Plate. And because Janetha Bean was upset that I etched out my cleavage in this post…so I thought it’d give it back. Hope it’s all you expected and more, Janetha Bean!

So without further ado (and no understanding of why the italics will not go away)…I present you with my video in which I use a banana tree frond to I pretend that I am holding onto the handlebars of the Power Plate, as I demonstrate the routine I performed earlier this week…yay for using your imagination!

Thank you for watching and listening! I hope that you get to try out one of these bad boys! And thanks to Janetha Bean for letting me do a guestie on her fabulous blog! I can’t wait to read the other guesties toooo!

Q:  1:  Have you ever used one of these? If so what did you think?
      2:  Do you do lunges and squats on a regular basis?
      3:  Do you use foliage to assist in your workouts?

Allie (Protein Girl) February 10, 2010 at 7:33 am

Wow!

This post has a huge vibrator, a kama sutra chart and a cleavage shot! High Five Deb! I’m glad to see that there is peer reviewed research on the Power Plate’s effects on space travelers. That’s very important for us commuters. I’d like to hear when they have research on time & space travel. I love that pregnancy is always number one for contraindicated diseases. But the manufacturers seem to have omitted alien pregnancy. Perhaps an oversight.

And by the way, everyone knows the Brits can’t spelle.

Carbzilla February 10, 2010 at 7:43 am

My trainer has one, and I’ve used it for step-ups. It’s kinda bizarre. I mostly loooooove it for calf massages. Awesome post since I’ve never seen anyone else discuss it. You’re an original, as always Deb!

Karin February 10, 2010 at 7:50 am

And I thought that the only thing Sting does was Jivamukti Yoga. What a liar! He got his body through hot vibrations!!!
I’ve always thought that these vibrating things were super silly. Might give them a try after reading your post though. You know, being open to all things new and so on..
btw: WHERE’S THE MEAL??

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

Umm, thought she asked of either one. Doh! :-?

Carol An February 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

You are hilarious love the post!
They have these things at my gym and they have an extra payment and separate room for them like they are some sort of gym equipment Holy Grail or something. But no never tried them out but I would love to!
Anyway I will deffo be subscribing to your blog. Yes, even though I’m from Scotland I can take a bit of Brit bashing and I’ll just have to get used to your funky spelling mistakes ;)

Therese February 10, 2010 at 9:46 am

Bahaha Deb you crack me up! I was thinking the same thing about the pictures…dirty minds think alike ;)

Tamizn February 10, 2010 at 9:58 am

I want a go!!!!!!! I love squats and lunges any day!!!!!!!!! x x

Ashley February 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

Cool. Wish I could try one out!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 10, 2010 at 11:04 am

Thanks Janetha Bean, or soon-to-be MRS. Janetha Bean…for the opportunity to show your readers my sweaty cleavage. (poor kids!) Hope you’re having a BLASTY in Jamaica! :-) Muuah! PS You ARE wearing SPF 50+ and flossing your teeth right? Just ’cause the challenge is over, you still need to floss.

Jamie February 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I tried some other vibrating chair thing at Brookstone or one of those stores…I couldn’t find the exact name of it and a google search brought up lots of interesting stuff lol. I did find a youtube video of this thing though.

This definitely does not look like the kind of workout you had!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm

OK that’s hilarious Jamie- those poor teenagers will never be the same again!

nic - the auspicious squirrel February 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Haha, that’s hilarious! I love the poses C 03 & D 04, awesome! Thanks for the laugh, I’m glad you had a great workout on it! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 10, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Im just gonna go all perverted on you and say that your sweaty cleavage looks great :) LOL Love ya Deb!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxox

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 11, 2010 at 10:40 am

No beautiful foliage here in Nashville Deb…I need to come visit you in CA, and get my lunges and squats on in the beautiful outdoors.

I would also love to try the Power Plate, and can I just say that I love that cross necklace you’re wearing in the boob shot? :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) February 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Thsnks HEABie- the necklace is a tree of life that my bro-man gave me for my Bday -remember I turned 25 recently? or was it 29, can’t remember, old age :-/

Lara (Thinspired) February 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Ok, if YOU were that sweaty after using the PP, I would be drenched. I’m going to read up on some of those studies to lean more about it. Very interesting about the osteoporosis study.
…and Courtney Cox is using it?! Your twin?! Ok, ok, I’m sold.
Whoa–you really do a deep squat! You are so hard-core ;)

mom February 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hi Deb!!! Your post totally cracked me up!! I LOVED the exposure you gave the magic plate machine or shaker machine as Marshall has dubbed it! I am so excited to try your routine, the video was so helpful, gosh wish I had a banana leaf in my yard (instead it’s covered in LOTS of snow wah!) Lower body is tonight so I’m going to give it a try. You are a doll and Janetha is so lucky to have so many awesome caring people in her life!!! xoxoxo!