busy day.

by Janetha on January 26, 2010

in meals,moves

holler ballers. i am making some of beek’s coconut chia granola right now and the aroma is filling the whole house and it is basically all i can think about.. BUT~ i need to write a post, so i will do my best to not think about the cinnamon-y vanilla-y goodness that is in the oven.

today was a jam-packed busy day!  i may as well just get right into telling you about it.

SO, ya know how i was going to try to workout in the morning? hahahahahahahahahaha. that’s funny! yeah freaking right! i cannot wake up early to save my life.  instead of going to the gym before work, i ended up going into work a tad early and then leaving early to hit up the gym before my hair appointment.. SO, it all worked out in the end.  it just sucks that every time i try for a morning workout, i fail miserably.  how do you morning worker-outers do it????

if you are wondering how i managed to get the motivation to get into work early but not to the gym.. well.. the reasoning behind that was my latest eating obsession just made me rush into work so i could EAT.

meals

meal 1: chocolate protein oats+chocolate PB2 yogurt @ 8:30 AM

for those of you who were wondering, this is how i make it:

• cook 1/3 cup oats + 2/3 cup water on the stove (can be done in microwave)
  • stir in 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • meanwhile, mix 1 cup fat free oikos + 1 TB chocolate PB2
  • put them in a bowl side by side, take a photo

• mix and devour!

and like i said yesterday, this is 340 calories and keeps me full for 4 or 5 hours!

one thing that bugs me: every time i eat my boss tell me that my food “smells revolting”~ like.. every day.. every meal. it is getting old! get over it! it is not what i like to hear when i am trying to enjoy my food. plus.. how can oats and yogurt smell gross? it cannot. impossible, i tell you.

today was national pistachio day so i had ten pistachios. said nuts can be seen here:

lunch came before i knew it. i wasn’t starving at lunchtime but i knew if i ate lunch too late it would throw my whole day off because of all my plans. so i ate lunch on time even though i wasn’t starvin’ marvin.

meal 2: chicken fingers + steamed veggies + toasted arnold thin w/ laughing cow @ 12:30 PM

hum. not photogenic at all! those two pools of randomness=annie’s honey mustard and annie’s bbq sauce. hate to say it, but annie’s bbq sauce sucks. i hate it and remembered why my bottle is still full. blech. the rest of lunch was delightful!

i always get FREEZING COLD after i eat. so much so that i have to turn on my space heater. i’ve read that it has something to do with all the blood in your body going to your stomach to help your food digest, that sounds like a good reason but i have no idea if it is true or not.

the arnold thin+laughing cow reminded me of those handi snacks breadsticks. that is exactly what it tasted like, i kid you not. remember these?:

[source.]

i used to love those damn things when i was a little kid. i am sure they are absolutely horrible for you.  but a toasted arnold thin with laughing cow is pretty dang good for you! 135 calorie snack? yes please.

anyway, where was i? oh yeah. snacktime.

it was in the car, on the go.  i had to run an errand for work and then went to the gym.

meal 3: second best luna flavor @ 3:30 PM

i kept it light because i ate this on my way to the gym and didn’t want to hurl during my split squats.

moves

lower body workout day and i only had 50 minutes to work out. here it is:

• 5 min treadmill warmup (0.5 miles)

then i supersetted some moves.

block #1: hamstrings and quads three times through

jump squats body weight 15
woodchopper 10# weight 15 each side

block #5: quads and calves three times through

move weight reps
single leg press 100# 15 each leg
single leg laying calf raise 100# 15 each leg

the end. this took 50 minutes and i burned around 300 calories.

i rushed home since i only had 15 minutes between the gym and my hair appointment.

meals

because my timing was way off today and i had to get to my appointment, meal 4 came just 2 hours after meal 3. sometimes timing just doesn’t go the way i’d like it to.. but i made do.

meal 4: green protein smoothie @ 5:30 PM

don’t let the placemat fool you. i drank this in the car..

it had:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 3 cups spinach
  • handful blueberries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • sprinkles of the gums
  • ice

i decided that the blender bottle does not leave a very rad smoothie ‘stache!

a little reminiscent of hitler, no?

pardon the greasy hair. don’t worry~ it is clean now. and cut and colored AND my eyebrows no longer look like caterpillars ;)

gotta love those no makeup photos.

ANYWAY. more food? yeah ok.

meal 5: cheetahs + roasted broccoli @ 8:30 PM

some of you asked about the cheetah method. well i gotta give credit to my girl for these ones~ but this is how i do it.

• cut sweet potato in half long-ways
  • cut into 1/4” wide half moons
  • spray cookie sheet with pam
  • place cheetahs on sheet, spray tops with pam. add salt.
  • bake at 450 degrees [f] for 15 minutes
  • flip ‘em
  • bake another 15 minutes
  • eat ‘em

they are called cheetahs because of the SPOTS.. obvi.

the broccoli just had some garlic salt sprinkled on it before roasting~

wait, where was my protein? oh yeah.. i was saving my protein serving for after the granola was done baking!  which, for the record, was over an hour ago.. i have been typing this post on and off.

meal 5 part 2: protein hot chocolate w/ sprinkle of coconut chia granola

mmmm. sorry~ no smoothie ‘stache with this one. but i did have a few friends submit some stellar ‘stach shots! (say that 9 times fast!) check it out~

HEABs with her creamy ‘stache

ildie with her greeeeeen ‘stache

jessica with her ‘stache sequence!

imageimage image

you guys could all be cover models! i love the ‘staches!

yawn.. it is SO late. past 11 PM. i need to get to bed, it has been a busy day and it is way past my bedtime :) see you manana for waffle wednesday! and crock pot wednesday as well! wednesdays are just so dang exciting :)

1. is it just me or do you get WAY cold after you eat? is this normal? hope so!

2. in honor of national pistachio day.. tell me your favorite nut. not nut butter.. not food with nuts.. just plain NUT. i think mine is cashews!

xo. janetha b.

Erin January 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

Honey, you are gettin skinnypants!

glidingcalm January 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm

hahaha soooo cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

lowandbhold January 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Every time I get up early it feels as though I’ve just moved a mountain. Hate it.

The locks look gorgeous. One. Hot. Blonde. :)

1. I think I hot after I eat, haha. Unless it’s a cold food that is.
2. Pecans or walnuts. Can’t decide.

Have a delicious Waffle/Crock Pot Wednesday!

katie January 27, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Blueberry Pancake day!!!!!! Yay for tomorrow!!! Yum! Chocolate protein cake sounds delish!!!!!!! Love that you give your pups the VS dogs too!!!!!!

Have a great day girl!!!!!!!!!! xoxo

Yay for BSN Cinnamon ROll Protein Powder!!!!!

Jessica January 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Second best flavor?! Psh, Janethaaaa…..the peppermint stick taste just like a girl scout cookie! How is that not the numba 1 in your book?? Hahaha….but what is your number one, actually? :)

Roasted broc and cheetahs sound SOOOOO good right now. And you are adorable without makeup! Just adorableeeeee.

But hmm, to answer your q’s: 1. nooo, i usually eat hot things which leaves me cozy and warm afterwards! woop!
and 2. MINE IS ALSO CASHEWS!!!!!! i’ve been eating these tj’s raw, slightly salted cashews the past few weeks and never get sick of ’em!!

LOVE U!!!! XOXOXO

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Gosh that’s so rude of your boss. One of my pet peeves are when people comment on my food. I always make sure not to comment on anyone else’s food (except in blog land…duh! haha)
Your hair (and YOU) look so gorg!
I used to be a morning worker-outer, until I started coming into work at 6:30. I think I might change my hours though, so I can start working out in the morning again. I like it so much more that way!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I think you look GORGE with no makeup on! Whatchu talkin about? I DO love ’em! =D

1. I get freezing after I eat, unless I am eating soup! You are normal!!
2. I LOVE cashews! But brazil nuts are high on the list too!

xo
K

Lara (Thinspired) January 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Love, love Beek’s granola. I had to restrain myself yesterday from just eating a big handful of it.

DUDE. I have been getting so cold after I eat lately and running straight in for a hot shower as soon as I finish lunch. I thought I was going insane. I’m going with the blood/digestion thing. Totally makes sense to me ;)

Favorite nut…calories don’t count, right? I think I would say almonds :)

Melissa January 27, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Not sure if someone already posted about this but are you doing 40mph while taking a pic of your smoothie?????????????????????????????????????????????? lol!

louisianagrown January 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

You’re totally welcome to link to my post on Flashback Friday. I just had a two day jump on the game. :)

Emily (The Experimentarian) January 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Um, yeah. Yesterday my boss told me that my salmon looked like cat food. He hates cats. I said, “Well, at least it doesn’t look like jerk food.” A hole. I usually get f-f-freezing after I eat. Love you! xoxo

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils January 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm

What brand of bottle do you use to transport your smoothie? I really want to bring mine into work but can’t find a good one. I already have a blender so I don’t need a bottle that “fits” into it.

Abby January 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Beek sent me some of that granola awhile back and I inhaled it in approx a half hour! :)

Great smoothie combo, btw!

katecooks January 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

i am with you on the morning workouts! i would so much rather hit the gym at 6 or even later when i get off work than get up crazy early. i mean, 5AM wakeup call?? no thanks!!!! also, i have habit of staying up even when i am super tired so that would never work anyway :)

HAPPY HUMPDAY! WHOO!

RhodeyGirlTests January 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm

In order to do pre-work morning workouts I do four things:
1. Go to bed early. No matter what.
2. Lay out my clothes, ipod, Garmin, etc.
3. Know EXACTLY what workout I am going to do so I won’t procrastinate.
4. Plan a good breakfast that can’t be eaten unless workout is complete.

Haylee January 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Ok I am a new reader but HAD to comment on this one because its sooo funny. I get ridiculously cold too!!! Especially after going out to eat at a restaurant, I get SOOO cold that sometimes my tip of my thumb goes numb and I turn up the heat SOO high in the car! My husband laughs and says its all in my head but its NOT!!! I also heard the blood going to the stomach thing..Im glad im not alone!

april January 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I get super cold after smoothies.. which ends up making me want to eat more!!

And awesome workout! What are donky kicks??

And those oats sound yummy! They are like my half-way oats except hotter I think!

HealthySDLiving January 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous, I wish I could pull of bangs liek that! Love that look!
I looooove nuts! hehe I really do! My favorite would probably have to beeeeeee cashews too! So good and I am now officially addicted to making and eating vegan/raw cashew “cheese” Mmmmm!

Errign January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I was gonna say Hitler about your ‘stache, but I figured that was off-color, but you said it first so it’s all good :)

I really like your hairrrr – I would love to rock bangs, but I don’t style my hair, um, ever, so they would look busted all.the.time.

My favorite nut (twss) is macadamias, me thinks!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) January 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

i love you hitler!

ummmm…that didn’t come out right.

yes, i get cold too. and yes, i’ve been told because your body is using up energy to digest food and doesn’t have as much to keep you warm. in other words, i am just repeating what you already said.

oatmeal + yog concoction is interesting…i am definitely pondering making that one…

BroccoliHut January 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I remember those Handi Snacks! I always preferred the pretzel ones though;)

inmytummy January 27, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I cannot work out in the morning either. I just like sleeping. I’d much rather work out at 9pm than 5am. Although it is nice not to have it looming overhead.

No, I don’t think I get cold after I eat. I get cold if I work out and don’t take a shower though. As for the nuts, I don’t actually like nuts all that much by themselves. I guess I like almonds the best.

Katie January 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I don’t know how you work out AFTER work…I’m much too zonked after work to even THINK about going to the gym. Never. I can barely make it to my couch when I get home.:-)

I’m always, always, always cold…but especially after I eat. I always have to put on my coat after lunch. It’s a problem.

Almonds or Walnuts.

ari January 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm

okay awesome i hate annie’s bbq sauce too. SO you have to try organicville’s original bbq sauce. legit the best bottled bbq sauce i’ve ever tried.

actorsdiet January 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm

you look so pretty without makeup! your boss is MEAN!!! what do HIS meals smell like?! humph.

Laura January 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I thought the exact same thing about laughing cow the other day! Only I was dipping pretzel sticks into the laughing cow wedge… It reminded me so much of a handi snack! Yummy nostalgia! :)

Whole Body Love January 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I used to love Justin’s Maple Almond Butter but now I can’t find it in a jar…only squeeze packs! As far as a plain nut, I suppose cashews or almonds would win. I do love pecans though… Too many options!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm

OK let’s see if I can remember all of what I want to say:

Love the dog poo. Good enough to eat twice.

ANnoying that they complain about your stinky food (esp when it isn’t!). I had someone hate on me while we were on vacay together (no, not Derek) about my broccoli eggwhites with cinnamon. The cinnamon is what got her. really got her. Like i offended her in some way?? Odd.

The second pistacio from the right on the upper right looks like a pac-man who’s smiling.

Your moves look rad- do you get sore every time?

Your shakes are looking about a zillion times better now that you use the gums. Yes, the stache was very hitleresque…that is exactly what I was thinking then I read that you said the same thing (jinx!)

OK you look darling without a grain of makeup!

Love you bean!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Ack forgot the questions:

1. No I don’t get cold after eating but yes after smoothies fer shere.

2. Pistacios- yes please. I have a whole bunch someone gave me. Perhaps some butter needs to be made?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Whoops, Pistacios aren’t my fave- I’d say peanuts or hazelnuts. Yes, hazelnuts over peanuts.

Ildie January 27, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I’m freezing 24/7. I was made for the tropics I tell you.

I LOVE pistachios. Plain, crumbled, toasted… Even the ice cream flavor. LOVE!

Susan January 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

Bah! That granola is so good! I am SO impressed by your lower body workouts. My legs and hips just cannot handle that shite. Also, jump squats. I think those have made an appearance in my nightmares before…

And aren’t you a cutie-patootie! Both before and after the ‘do job :) That little green stache is quite becomining actually, suits the shape of your face :P

1. I JUST finished eating lunch at my desk and am now in my winter jacket. But my office-mate also turned her space heater off when she left for lunch, so that could have something to do with it…

2. Pistachios!! I also just discovered a love for brazil nuts while at home for Christmas. I think just cause they’re bigger than the rest (insert TWSS joke here)

danica January 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hey girlie ~ I know it is SO much easier to get up early to work out if I go to bed early to get 7-8 hours of sleep. Anything less and I can do it, but, it’s more challenging.

Delicious day – I need to make the “cheese n cracker” snackage – sounds amazing!

YUM to your coconut chia granola – jealous!

You always look super cute with or without makeup – yeah for having your hair & brows done!

Sweet and Fit January 30, 2010 at 6:16 pm

hey cutie! love the new harcuit.

1. sometimes i get really cold after i eat when its a smoothie with a lotta ice in it

2. my favorite plain nut are almonds!

but now, i’ve gotta question for you! what kind of chocolate protein powder do you use? I am having a hard time mixing protein powder into my oats.