smoothie ‘stache.

by Janetha on January 23, 2010

in meals,moves

yo!

thanks for all of your suggestions and input on brands & flavors of protein powder.. i think i really want to get some BSN cinnamon roll!  there were also a lot of good suggestions as far as chocolate flavors go~ if you are in the market for protein powder then you should check out all the great suggestions in the comments section.

friday.

meals

last night i never had an actual legit dinner.. i snacked on this and that.  this being 100 calorie kettle corn and that being emily’s addicting dried fruit trail mix.. i did manage to get some protein in my life with this..

1 cup egg beaters + 1 wedge laughing cow + TJ’s pineapple salsa

and with this..

saturday.

today i woke up bright and early!  7:45 ON A SATURDAY? what has come over me?! that is not normal, folks. not one bit.  i went with it and got to work on some blog business.  i began matching people up for my secret bloggie valentine and enjoyed some french pressed coffee~

meals

breakfast was something new.  since i am off limits from buying cereal until after jamaica, i decided to put some cooked oats into my greek yogurt mess!

this had: 1 cup 0% oikos, 1/4 cup cooked oats, 3 strawberries, handful of blueberries & a squirt of agave..

yum! i loved the chewy oats mixed with the yogurt and berries.  it was no shredded spoonfuls but it was still delicious.  i know you like the all mixed up photos…

this made for a lovely morning. yogurt, oats, berries, coffee, blogs.. YES.

anyone know who’s blog i was reading?

moves

although i had originally planned to take today off and exercise tomorrow, i was feeling full of energy and decided to go ahead and go to the gym today so i could take tomorrow off instead.  i jotted down a few moves and off to the gym i went!

i wanted to incorporate all of my muscles today since it was a total body workout day.  i knew i wanted to include some plyometrics in each block because that really keeps your heart rate up.  SO~ to plan each block, i picked an upper body move, a lower body move, a plyometric move and then another move~ either upper or lower body. here is how it went down:

• 5 minutes on elliptical @ resistance 5 (.75 miles)

block #1: three times through

move

target area

weight

reps

dumbbell curl to overhead press biceps + shoulders 10# db in each hand 15
jump squats plyometric move body weight 15
single leg deadlifts hamstrings + lower back 10# db in each hand 15
weighted hyperextension w/ twist lower back + “love handles” 10# db 15

block #2: three times through

move

target area

weight

reps

single leg bench dips triceps + legs body weight 30 (15 each leg, consecutive)
side to side lunge & jumps plyometric move body weight 30 (15 each way, alternating)
barbell chest press chest 30# barbell 30
plie squat w/ calf raise quads + calves 25# dumbbell 30

block #3: three times through

move

target area

weight

reps

single arm dumbbell rows middle back 15# dumbbell 15 each arm
burpees plyometric move body weight 15
lying butt bridge glutes body weight 30 (10 with left leg, 10 with right leg, 10 with both legs)
dumbbell pullover to crunch back + chest 15# dumbbell 15

burpees are HARD! they are a real challenge.  try them out if you are looking for something new.

block #4: three times through

move

target area

weight

reps

single leg press quads 80# 15 each leg
jumping jack w/ dumbbells plyometric move 5# dumbbell in each hand 15
straight bar cable pushdowns triceps 45# 15
v rope standing cable row back 45# 15

• 1 mile run on treadmill (intervals) while watching the gym TVs.. which were set to the thigh glider infomercial which probably doesn’t work… and actually reminded me of a certain chair out of “burn after reading” which, coincidentally, i watched last night… hum.

the end! this workout took me an hour and five minutes, total.

meals

after my workout i was really excited because i knew i was going to have this green gloriousness!~

in the mix:

• 1.25 cups almond milk
  • 1 cup ice
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 3 cups spinach
  • sprinkle of xantham & guar gums
  • 1 scoop EAS 100% whey protein powder

it made SO much.  sometimes i wonder why i bother with a glass…

although drinking straight from the vitamix probably isn’t classy.. and i am ALL about the class. obviously:

milk mustaches don’t have a thang on my green smoothie ‘stache!

after downing this i was incredibly fulllll.  i went to a baby shower and nibbled on a few things just for the sake of being social~

i ate the chicken out of the pasta salad and actually those little pickled asparagus bits rolled in ham were pretty stellar.

i think my pseudo-niece was skeptical though..

later this afternoon the snack monster got to me but i didn’t want to over do it.. so i went with 100 calorie bag of kettle corn~

IMG_5575IMG_5576

waaay more fun to eat when it is in a popcorn tub that i got for a buck at the dollar spot. thanks tarjey.

and a toasted sandwich thin + 2 tsp organic preserves~

IMG_5579IMG_5578

marshall and i made a tarjey run and i got a little something special for the pups!

his and hers :) (no, not marshall + janetha.. penny + randy!)

the dogs were able to celebrate national peanut butter day a little early~ technically it is tomorrow, the 24th!

SO.. next up?  more food.

one of my girlfriend’s has a birthday tomorrow (happy birthday, summer!) so we all got together for dinner.  it was my free meal out so i wasn’t too worried about where she picked.. but it was one of the least healthy options on the  planet…

la puente.  which is a mexican spot here in the SLC and there is really just nothing “light” about it.

marshall and i arrived before everyone else and took a moment to gaze into the beautiful sunset…

IMG_5586 IMG_5585

we nibbled on some chips & salsa. my trick was to chew gum while we waited so i didn’t go to town on the chips.  after i placed my order, i let myself have some.

i didn’t want to feel like garbage after eating (a common occurrence for most after eating at la puente!) so i went with the lightest possible thing on the menu~ a chicken quesadilla which, for some reason, came open-faced:

i was actually really surprised, the chicken had been boiled and was not greasy at all. the tortilla was sinfully delicious~ handmade tortillas are so chewy and yummy! i got a side of guac..

to be honest, i LOVE this restaurant.  their food is really tasty and i used to eat here at least once a week.  BUT~ when i eat clean 95% of the time, this food does not agree with my body and so i would rather not indulge in the deliciousness of a smothered chile verde burrito because i know i would be sorry about it later.  that is why i kept my dinner *as light* as possible.  it wasn’t the calories or the fat content that made me order light.  it was the thought of feeling slightly ill tomorrow. make sense? hope so.

after dinner, the birthday girl’s sister presented her with a plethora of mini bundt cakes!  they were from a bakery called nothing bundt cakes~ cute, huh?!

i had a couple tastes~ one bite of the carrot, one bite of the chocolate and one bite of the red velvet.

the girls had a photo op in front of the adobe village.

classic.

WELL! this has been long, hasn’t it? marshall and i are going to go to the gza with some friends now.  he is some dude from wu-tang clan, FYI.

i will be back tomorrow for some more weekend shenanigan recaps! hope your weekend is going swell! make sure you celebrate national peanut butter day tomorrow.

1. in honor of national peanut butter day~ what is your favorite way to eat your peanut butter? i like mine best on whole wheat toast along with my mom’s homemade raspberry jam. you cannot beat that!

2. have you ever bought anything from an infomercial? what was it? the only thing i own that *has* an infomercial is my magic bullet, but it was not purchased from the infomercial directly. but come on.. some of you have to have a bump-it or a sham-wow, right??

xo. janetha b.

P.S. send me your smoothie ‘stache photos! i would love to do a compilation post of them!!

check ya later alligators.

julie January 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

hahahahahahahaha love the green stache dude!

i feel the sameee way about mexicanos food! i want to eat it all the time and wish they had lighter options but sometimes all there is is just cheese gajunked stuff that makes me feel like ultra horrid the next day!

whats a girl ta do. you handled it awesome dude

Tina January 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm

My favorite way to eat pb is in oats. Yum yum! And I have bought a workout DVD series from an infomercial before…like 7 or 8 years ago? It was the first workouts I got into actually. They weren’t that great but at least they got me started.

Love the ‘stache pic!! Totally cracked me up!

snackface January 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm

OK, I’m setting that stache pic of you as my computer’s background. Marshall should do the same.

Let me just first say that I miss you. I miss you.

Now that that’s cleared up, omg YUM food!I miss TJ’s pineapple salsa! The oats in the yog mess sounds brilliant. The ‘stache. The mexi-mix. Gahhh so good! I always attack the chips as though I haven’t eaten in days. I should probably take a tip from you!

Oh! And that was totes HEAB.

My fave way to eat pb is in oats. It’s so luscious and melty that way.

And for the second Q, MamaJ bought me a PedEgg and it’s fantastic–like a cheese grater for your feet.

Anyway, I hope you are having a FAAAAB Sunday, honeybun!! Love you!! xoxoxo

Melissa January 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Love the smoothie ‘stache. I drank one this morning and somehow got it on my forehead.

PS: I added you to my blogroll too lady! :)

Lara (Thinspired) January 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Ok, your niece poking the ham roll is just hilarious to me right now for some reason!
Never thought to mix oats with yogurt…I bet it’s good…a nice combination of warm + cold and soft + chewy? Sounds perfect.
1. Love nut butters on bananas (straight!), or on top of a yogurt mess :) I always save the big glob for last!
2. Nope. Never bought from an infomercial, but I have bought stuff in stores that is “Seen on TV.” i.e. the Food Saver (for my grandparents!)

Sweet Cheeks January 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm

You are totally on HEAB’s blog…I know this because I may or may not have drooled a bit over that dessert pic she posted. Yum.

favorite way to eat peanut butter is in oats or on a sweet potato!

Lizzy January 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

HEHEHE super cute ‘stash!!! green smoothies are just too amazing not to ‘stash yourself (umm is that even a phrase…idk!) haha! before you order any Protein Powder go to LUCKYVITAMIN.COM…SUCH GOOD PRICES!!! and thank u for the email! I officially know who my buddy is so all is good!! I hope you’re having a relaxing sunday with your man and cutie-bug puppy!!! xoxo!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) January 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Haha…you’re rockin’ that stash! ;) You’ve got me craving some green, so I think I’ll have to buy some spinach soon. :D

My black lab used to adore those peanut butter filled kongs. Usually I’d freeze them and he’d spend hours upon hours getting every little bit out. :D

katie January 24, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I love my PB in oats or in a smoothie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girl you will love the BSN Cinnamon Roll Protein Powder, it is the bomb, like you!!

U look hot with the smoothie mustache!! Love it!!! And the green smoothie looks yum!!

I hope you have a great night!!

THANKS FOR DOING BLOGGER SECRET VALENTINE!!!! IM SUPER EXCITED!!!!!

Allie January 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm

the sunset gazing photos are so romantic ; ) i feel like we were really in that adobe hut, it just looks so real! haha. and you’re right about feeling like crap after eating a smothered burrito, my stomach hasn’t felt right since…could’ve been that tyler & i ate my leftovers at 3 am last night…

Hayley January 25, 2010 at 6:11 am

You write the most fun posts, Janetha! I’ve been a bad bloggie reader (so behind on everyone’s) mostly because I’ve been sick and haven’t been able to stomach (pun intended) looking at food pics. I know – what the fraggle rock?!?! It’s crazy, but I’m feeling a bit better now and once again drooling over your pics. For some reason whenever you put random foods together like Greek yogurt and oats it always looks so delicious. I get some really awesome ideas from your blog, plus you write in a fun way. I already said that, right?

I’ll try to catch up!

PS – Chris and I ALMOST bought Snuggies…I mean we were thisclose until we started reading reviews of the company selling them. Now you can find them anywhere. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit I’ve bought the Ab Roller and a few other things I can’t remember at the moment, but do know they were “seen on TV.”

Therese January 25, 2010 at 8:24 am

So much to cover I don’t know where to start! You and your friends are gorgeous. I want to snuggle up in that homemade tortilla. I LOVE the smoothie mustache. WHy are you so freakin cute? Daisy has a kong and just looooves the thing. I never thought to put PB on it. Genius. We made her a doggie cake with peanut butter for her birthday. Holler if you want the recipe!

Lastly I very regularly workout with informercials on. The actors are so fit. It’s good motivation! Even if I am quite aware that the product they are pimping more than likely doesn’t work.

Holly January 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

how do you manage to look so cute in such a close up shot? i think i would rather die than post a picture of me that close. but i will do it. FOR YOU. will send you one tonight…along with a guest post. promise. it is coming!

yay for birthdays, fun and mexican food!

and peanut butter—-PB+J IS the way to go!

lowandbhold January 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

It’s funny I was just thinking about a faux “got milk” campain for green mustaches. Love your pics!

That quesadilla tortilla did look so doughy and amazing. I would like one, stat!

1. Current fave way is globbed in oats. I am talking a surrious amount to where it tastes like you’re just eating straight pb.
2. I bought Turbo Jam and Winsor Pilates from infomercials. Oh and I talked my parents into buying a bowflex back in high school. I can be persuaded quite easily, haha.

BroccoliHut January 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I am quite familiar with the smoothie stache–the worst is blueberry!

danica January 25, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I totally LOVE the idea of putting cooked oats in yogurt – I totally NEED to try that!

FANTASTIC workout – I HATE burpees :D

You are so freakin’ adorable – LOVE your smoothie stash!!! Oh and seriously, I am all about LESS dishes over being classy :D I think that’s why I LOVE my Magic Bullet so much….you get to drink straight from the “blender” cup :)

Yea for being up early on a Saturday morning too – it’s the BEST to get so much accomplished like that :)

Eilene Asal October 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy. I have read this publish and if I may just I desire to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!