listening.

by Janetha on January 7, 2010

in meals,moves

today my body was all out of whack. my energy level was incredibly low and my hunger was impossible to tame.  i listened.  it’s pretty dang important to listen to your body.. it knows a thing or two about what is good for you.

i think the fact that i was drained to do had a little something to do with the fact that i stayed up until midnight watching the new food network show: worst cooks in america

let’s talk about cooking.  sure, it takes talent to come up with your own recipes and create unique dishes.  not everyone can do that.  but following a recipe should be something your average joe should be able to do, right?  i decided i don’t really understand how people can’t follow a delicious recipe exactly and have it turn out at least somewhat edible.  but these people.. well.. they really are bad at cooking! it was entertaining to see them fail, is that mean? ha.

while i am talking about the food network.. i feel bad for you east-coasters who no longer have the channel!  that would be the worst.  this is one time i can say i am happy to live in utah ;)

before i start talking about today, how about a few more rambles?  sure, ok.  my new theme makes it super easy to reply to comments in the comment section.. and i want to start doing that rather than emailing replies because that takes 17 times as long and i usually don’t have time to get around to it.  BUT.. i know that personally, i have a hard time going back to other people’s posts that i have commented on to see follow up comments.  SO my question for you guys is how do you feel about me replying to your comments in the comments section?  input appreciated. thanks.

hum should we talk about some food? yep, i think we should.

meal 1: protein oatmeal with waaaay more cinnamon than usual @ 9:30 AM

see the darker color? yeah, i think i used about six more times as much cinnamon compared to what i usually do.  i was just feeling sassy and spicy.IMG_5001

i was hungry for lunch before i was “scheduled” to be.  first sign of my body telling me something was a bit off.  i am fairly certain that being tired makes me hungrier for some reason.  maybe there is a correlation there?

i managed to stave off my hunger until lunch time by chugging some water.  getting my gallon in today was no problem!

meal 2: pumpkin chili w/ a dollup of greek yogurt + two wasa crackers @ 12:30 PM

the wasas went unphotographed.. but not to worry, you will see more of them later since i ate a total of four wasas today.  hey guys, did you know that “unphotographed” is not a word? well, according to firefox, that is. it should be. i use it a lot.

mmmm. chili is one of those foods that is WAY better the next day! love it!

enter uncontrollable hunger.  i got super hungry less than two hours after lunch!  and i was incredibly sleepy.  enter: green tea.

IMG_5012 IMG_5013IMG_5014

this did nothing for me.. so i eventually ate my snack.

meal 3: two wasas + 1 slice turkey + low fat cottage cheese + avocado + black pepper @ 3:30 PM

MMMM!  this is one of my old favorites that i ate a lot during my first body for life challenge

it has it all.. healthy fat, lots of protein, high fiber, whole grains and tons of flavor!

want a bite?

you would think this would hold me over.. but no.. my body said FEED ME so about 4:30 i did have a handful of pistachios.. and then when 5 o’clock came around it was quitting time.

i changed for the gym and started driving to good old gold’s.  and then i almost fell asleep at the wheel.  detour!  i decided to listen to my body and headed home to take a load off before working out.

this was a good idea!  i cuddled with the pups and had a moment to recharge and had a small snack before heading to the gym.

meal 4: two clementines + one string cheese @ 6:15 PM

get your minds out of the gutter.

it was upper body workout day today.. and i was definitely not feeling it!

• 5 min warmup on treadmill (incline 15 @ 3 MPH)

shoulders:

wide grip pulldowns 20# 12
wide grip pulldowns 30# 10
wide grip pulldowns 40# 8
wide grip pulldowns 50# 6
wide grip pulldowns 30# 12
cable rows 50# 12

i’m not gonna lie.. i was giving a half-assed effort the whole time.. did not lift as heavy as i could have.. barely even broke a sweat to tell you the truth.  but i was yawning the whole time and instead of pushing the workout any longer, i decided to go home.  no sense in forcing my body to do something it was not up for.  this took me 40 minutes and i peaced outta there.  yawning the whole way home.

i walked in the door and made my post workout drink~

muscle armor+protein+ice+water.

see that letter? look closer.

yeah.. i have been getting some returned mail!  angharad and anne, i guess i had your addresses wrong when i mailed out your cards :(

i also enjoyed a nice glass of juice that my roomie made!

not really sure what she put in there.  from the taste.. i know there were bananas, carrots, apples and oranges in there. so yummy!

and then i typed this up right quick. i am still sleepy.. but i think i have finally tamed the bottomless pit that is my stomach.  and it is only 8 PM but i am going to take a cue from my body and call it a night early tonight.

sorry this is so blaaaah!  it has been a long week.  hopefully this weekend and next week i can catch up on lurking your lives~i miss all y’all!  hope your weeks are going fabulously.  let me know how you are since i can’t tune in for myself!

YAY friday tomorrow! i am hosting a girls night at my house. we are going to start a new tradition and play bunco each month. so excited :)

1. when your body is telling you to eat more/not exercise.. do you listen to it or do you do what your brain tells you (aka your “plan”) instead? as much as i wanted to follow my meals & moves plan for the day, my body knows best. i think that is important.

2. any fun weekend plans you’d like to share with the class? aside from girls night friday, i am also celebrating my bestee’s birthday saturday and probably snowboarding sunday.. if it snows. i would love to hear your plans!

xo. janetha b.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 7, 2010 at 8:24 pm

That juice looks SO refreshing. As for replying the comments, I used to do it, but realized ppl didn’t go back to the comments to see. I myself don’t leave a question I really want an answer to in comments just because I know how hard it can be to answer them – if I want to know something I’ll just email ya. :)

And I usually take a scheduled day off rest, but if my body is asking for it, I take. It is usually always the right decision.

mom January 7, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Harumph!

jenngirl January 7, 2010 at 8:35 pm

It is harder to see if someone responds to my comment if I don’t get an email, however, do what is easiest for you..if I NEED an answer from you, I can email ;)

I hope you get some good rest tonight, we can’t be 100% everyday, it’s just not realistic!

1. If my body is begging for it, I will usually just tone down the intensity of my workout, because for me messing with the plan drives me nuts. However if I’m legit sick, I will make myself take the day OFF.

2. No cool plans, but next weekend I’m moving back to school! Ahh!

Ashley January 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Dang girl, I’m glad to see you did listen.

I listen to my body. Like today, it said I needed chocolate. So I had a bite.

It balances out though. Chicago got 8 inches of snow today. I shoveled my driveway and my folks in the AM and PM, then worked on my ice rink (folks live on a lake). Oh and power walked 4 miles at the gym.

I had oodles of energy today. So I used it!

crunchy granola gal January 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

turkey, cottage cheese and avo? who woulda thought, but it sounds amazing and might have to be my next sandwich. yum.

1. i usually listen to my tired self. for example, if i’m extremely hungover, i won’t wake up early before work to workout – would rather just push through the day.
2. good stuff saturday: first training run with new running group, vegging out at the apartment, and dinner at a swank restaurant with roomie + her parents. and sunday is brunching with fam and more running. kind of a pattern in my life — running and fooding. i dig. :)

Jessie January 7, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Hey girl!
I’ve been reading your blog for a while but haven’t commented before. But, your speculation that sleepiness and hunger are related triggered the nerd in me and I was inspired! Here’s the story: Though researchers don’t know exactly why yet, decreased levels of sleep are associated with increased levels of ghrelin (a hormone released by the stomach that triggers hunger) and decreased leptin (a hormone secreted by fat cells that suppresses appetite).
So, long-term sleep deprivation is indeed associated with increased BMI, and short-term sleep deprivation, well, makes you hungrier for the day! Good excuse to let yourself sleep in if there ever was one, eh?

Jenna January 7, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Glad you listened to your body! That is very important!
That wassa cracker snack looks great!!
Have fun tomorrow!
Jenna

Megan January 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Mmm the wasa+turkey+cottage cheese+avocado combo sounds delish!

1. I think it depends.. with food and exercise I always try to slow down and think about whether I don’t want to work out because a) my body is actually tired or b) i’m just lazy. If I decide I’m just lazy then I drag my butt to the gym or on a run. The same with food.. I have to think about whether I’m actually hungry. I used to just eat and eat and eat.. and that’s never good! Now I try to slow down and think about whether I’m actually hungry or whether I’m just bored/stressed. I’ll usually just put off eating for 5 minutes, go do something else, and then come back.. if I’m still hungry, then I’ll eat.

2. This weekend = relaxing at home before I go back to school on Monday!!

Graze With Me January 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Girl I am absolutely loving that wasa/cc/turkey/avo snack! It looks so good. I know what you mean about listening. It’s hard but you’re the only one who can hear you inner you so you better listen! I had an opposite day from yours – all I had for dinner was some pureed squash! Lame.

It’s funny, I actually read your post right before a workout to get inspired! Lol. Even though you had a rough/tired day you still went to the gym. That clinched it for me!

plamarie January 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm

You just need some rest…You will enjoy the next workout that much more. I like the wasa, turkey, cottage cheese, and avocado. I am reading body for life. thanks lil lady! :D

april January 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm

This couldn’t have come at a better time.. I was so hungry all day! But I listened and kept eating!

And I’m not sure about the comment things. I personally forget to check back too! But I don’t even know how to set up the email thing.. I’d like to!

And I’m stealing that wasa/cc/avocado combo. Sorry.. I’m a copycat!

kbwood January 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

yay for girls nights!! im so sorry u had one of those days-they are no fun! you just feel NO energy and so dragging..i usually listen to my body and eat enough if not MORE!
this weekend-maybe a bball game tommo and saturday? maybe a party? who knows! college..nobody plans ahead!

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce January 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

sorry you didn’t feel so great today, that sucks! i can’t believe east coasters don’t get food network anymore!! craziness!

m i c h e l l e January 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Hello there! Stopping by to say Happy New Year. I have been following your Jamaica Challenge and you have been inspiring me with your meals (and moves). I made your stuffed bell peppers tonight and they were delish! I started eating totally clean on Jan. 4th and I know how you feel. I think it’s just your body adjusting. I listen most of the time (esp. if I’ve been low on the starchy carbs or it’s the afternoon and I still have a lot of day to get through) by adding in an extra little healthy snack (lately for me it’s been a spoonful of nut butter).

Run Sarah January 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm

That juice looks so yummy. I love Wasa crackers, I usually just eat them with PB or hummus, I like how you made them into mini sandwiches, too cute! I must try that.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 7, 2010 at 11:58 pm

bananas, carrots, apples and oranges in juice that someone else made, i.e. cleaned up the juicer!!! freakin’ amazing :)

i workout out rain or shine b/c even on the outset, if i feel blah, i feel better later. and mid way thru if i am truly not feelin in, i quit. and pack it in. That’s rare though, but it does happen.

jessica January 8, 2010 at 12:57 am

Whoa!! J babyy!! I mustt try that cracker/turkey (but with the faux, obvs), cottage cheese, avo & peppa combo!!! That looks TDF!!! And super healthy. Umm, a nutritional powerhouse, no!? hahah….

But have fun playing DRUNKO, i mean–bunko! :)
1. i agree girl! the bod knows best and if you disobey it once, it’ll just get more and more messed and frustrated with you! take care of it now, so that it’ll do what it needs to later down the road!
2.um movies. and tv! amped–gotta take advantage before i head back to school on tuesday!!!!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) January 8, 2010 at 3:50 am

too funny you talked abotu this on your post (listening to your body) because this is JUSt what I talked about toO! I responded to a reader comment and talked about how impt it is to LISTEN to your body and all of its cues, when you are tired or hungry to do waht it says, because your body is a pretty smart system!

that avo/CC/turkey wasa looks awsome, I may be copying you on that little meal in the future so look out!

i LOL’ed to your “get your mind out of the gutter’ comment…too funny!

I always try to listen to my body, when I am sore, I take a day off from weights to recover and if I am tired, usually having a little snack or some coffee can help me!

This weekend I have a bridal shower for my boyfriends brother’s fiance! shouldbe a grannnnd old time!
xo

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) January 8, 2010 at 4:24 am

Being tired definitely makes you more hungry. Your body craves that extra fuel to stay awake and make through the day.

I’m trying to be better about listening to my body. When I’m extra hungry one day, I figure there must be a reason my body needs more food! :-)

Lauren January 8, 2010 at 5:07 am

I saw previews for that show “worst cooks”. It definitely looked interesting.
And what is this that the East coast is not getting foodnetwork? I actually noticed that the style channel as gone missing?!?! Uh oh, i hope that is not any indication that the foodnetwork is going away!!!!

Hope you got a wonderful night’s rest. It sounds like that is exactly what you needed! :)

Jess January 8, 2010 at 5:37 am

I don’t mind you replying to comments in the comment trail – I check your blog daily so it’s not hard to do a quick peek of an old post. My biggest complaint with your comments is that the link to them is at the top of the post, so when I’m done reading and ready to comment I have to scroll all the way back up! ^.^

I don’t listen to my body, which sounds bad, but let me extrapolate – if I were consistent about working out and eating better, I would totally listen. But right now my body is stuck in unhealthy mode, so I’m a blob. Listening to a blob that does not want to get unblobby will not help! So, trying to eat less and stave off cravings and hunger pangs, and hoping to move more. I have had zero motivation this week. :(

Jocelyn January 8, 2010 at 6:21 am

Hey girl…glad you listened to your body :) Your snacks and meals all look super healthy and charged with protein! Hope you have fun at girls night. This weekend I am going to see avatar in 3d with the man and out to an all you can eat sushi place. Which will be great for him but not so much for me lol :P

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 8, 2010 at 6:23 am

I’m glad to see you listened!

I am definitely one to listen to my body. When it wants something, it means it needs something!

This weekend I am going to a girls night dinner/party at my bestie’s house, for a going away present! So excited, but a bit sad to see all my girls before I leave!

At least I’ll still bring all my blog friends with me ;)

xoxo
K

lindsayruns January 8, 2010 at 6:23 am

What is this about the food network? I freaked and ran to the tv…but it’s still on here in NC…hmmm.

Lindsay January 8, 2010 at 6:26 am

I need to watch that show, I feel like it is hilarious!! My boyfriend could easily be on the show lol he once set the toaster oven on fire while cooking asparagus. How? I really don’t know. Needless to say I do most of (all of) the cooking.

Angelina January 8, 2010 at 6:53 am

Unfortunately, I’ve been a bad blog follower. My apologies.
On the bright side, I have 57 million things to say! :)
1. LOVE the new format. Very clean. I dig it.
2. I love some good ol’ string cheese. Reminds me of being wee Angelina.
3. I’m feeling you on the funk of tired/hungry. I’ve been OOC all week.
4. Worst Cooks in America…Hilarity ensues.
5. I love Anne Burrell. She just seems like someone you want to hang out with!
6. I would be SO upset if Food Network was removed from the Midwest cable line-up. I just leave it on in the background for noise!

Ok, so 57 million got scaled down to 6. :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 8, 2010 at 6:56 am

The Wasa bread with cottage cheese, turkey & avocado looks amazing. I’m going to “borrow” the idea! :)

I think listening to your body is so important, but it’s sometimes still a challenge for me. I have gotten better though. I once severely injured my ankle when I kept running on it when it was injured when I was training for a race. Ever since I’m a bit smarter… I’m glad you didn’t push your body too much!

eatolive January 8, 2010 at 7:03 am

1. replying to comments in the comment section sounds faaantastic :) and easier on YOU which is tres importante!
2. string cheese is my love. and i still pull it apart like i did when i was 5.
3. i think my dad today will look much like yours yesterday. i am draggggging. our building fire alarm went off at 2:30 am last night. it goes off for no reason about once every other month. i’ve learned not to get out of bed. especially since last night, it was snowing. one day, theres going to be an actual fire, and no one is going to have a clue … that will be bad.
4. wow sorry that was super long
5. watching other people fail at almost anything that should pretty much include just common sense – is always going to be entertaining :)

ellie January 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

That juice looks delish :D I personally reply to comments via email usually… I think you should do whatever is easiest for you but I usually forget to go back and check, especially if it’s a day where I have commented on a lot of blogs :/ Kind of feel bad that I don’t go back to check, but there are only so many hours in a day and wordpress “comments” tab on my dashboard doesn’t seem to work half the time!

1. when your body is telling you to eat more/not exercise.. do you listen to it or do you do what your brain tells you (aka your “plan”) instead? I have a hard time knowing when to push through it and when to give my body a break…sometimes when I get going, I am fine and dandy. Sometimes my body just says “no” which means rest day!

2. any fun weekend plans you’d like to share with the class? I have lost track of the days this week- I didn’t even realise it was Friday until an hour ago!

ksgoodeats January 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Woah – people don’t have Food Network? What’s up with that?! I listen to the bod as much as possible. Sometimes though (like when I’m going to work) I have to eat when I’m not hungry which gives me a food baby. People I work with must think I’m pregnant.

My weekend?! Girls night!

Kate January 8, 2010 at 8:27 am

I always listen to my body! Although I definitely do what you do – chug a bunch of water to make sure I’m not really thirsty.

Also – I did your treadmill workout from Wednesday – it was awesome, thanks so much for posting it. Although I almost fell off the back of the treadmill the first time I bumped the speed up to 8mph, so I had to do 7.5. Baby steps!

Anna January 8, 2010 at 8:29 am

Dang girl, You make eating super healthy & working out look easy!!! Keep up the good work!
I always listen to my body, perhaps a little too much sometimes. Sometimes I over worry about what I thinking my body “could” be telling me. Does that every happen to you?

April January 8, 2010 at 8:59 am

I don’t listen to my body. I eat every 3 hours. If i’m not that hungry I just cut back the size or just have a shake. I used to listen to my body and that left me only eating 3 times a day. I was chunky. So now I eat 6 x’s a days like clockwork no matter what. It keep my metabolism going.

lisaou11 January 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

I always listen to my body. If I don’t, I end up goign crazy and eating a TON later on. I usually always do drag myself to the gym though, and might just take it easier than normal.

Jenny January 8, 2010 at 9:43 am

m’mmmm that juice makes me wish I was laying out the beach getting my tan on. Le sigh, if only.

yay for Friday! take a load of my hard working chica. *muah*

mayapamela January 8, 2010 at 10:36 am

I think it’s definitely best to listen to your body. I think it’s best to feed your hunger, if you still feel like eating, wait, distract yourself, and if you still think “feed me!” listen! Sometimes I go against this though. The other day I worked out, wasn’t hungry, skipped the usual post gym snack, only to come home STARVED and a raving eating machine. If I had my snack I know it wouldn’t have turned out that way. Argh, even things that should be simple can be complicated, no?

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

your snack with the cottage cheese, avocado and turkey looks so good! I need to recreate it. I am down for pretty much anything with turkey and avocado.

When my body doesn’t seem to want to exercise, I try to compromise with it. So instead of a 60 minute workout, I do 30 minutes. I figure something is better than nothing and I never regret a workout!

julie January 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

oh! i’m so happy to see that you listened to your body :) i should probbbably do that more often.

i want a bite of those wasas cc and cado right nowwwwwwwww!

to be honest i neverrr go back and double check with answers to my questions haha a lot of time i even forget that i asked a question! thats a terrible thing of me i know

Tiffany S. January 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Someone in my office is already addicted to Worst Cooks. I don’t think I could watch.

Unless it’s something super important I never go back to look at comments, but we do have to option of getting notices so I think you should do whatever’s easier for you. I do half and half.

Angharad January 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oh no! Sad that my card got bounced! I see that was mine you photographed since I can spot my zip…I’m gonna have to check the address I gave you to make sure I wasn’t insane!
So, your wasa/cottage cheese/turkey/avo snack looks scrumptious. Love stuff like that. A lot. Except for the cottage cheese bit. Still not ok with that.
I listen to my body as much as poss. If it’s super hungry I tend to not be able to ignore it although I do always check it’s not thirst first by guzzling a bunch of agua. With exercise, it depends. If I’m really not feeling it, I’ll skip but with running and yoga, I almost always feel ten times better after I’ve done it.
Love to you! xx

Carla January 8, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I also stayed up too late on sunday watching that food network show~~ I loved it! I am a big food network fan, couldn’t live without it it’s all I really watch on TV! I am on the east coast and have it, I can’t imagine?!?!

Tamzin January 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend planned, I try to stick with my plan exercise wise but definitely eat more for the energy my body craves. I’m so desperate to exercise right now having a bad back is no fun at all! I tagged you x x

Sara January 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’m not an avocado fan (crazy, i know), but your ‘sandwich’ is making me crave cottage cheese sooo badly!

You gotta listen to your body. When I don’t, I pay double the price the next day. It’s just tough for me to make sure I’m doing it out of a need, not lazinees :)

Adi (oatonomy.com) January 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I always listen to my body when I’m feeling sleeping… cuz I love resting as much as I love a good workout! Sleep and rest is a really good thing. :)

Susan January 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I never take pictures of it, but I eat wasas all. the. time. Usually with almond butter, raisins and cinnamon. It’s a stellar snack.

1. Yes, usually. I find it’s harder to listen to my body when I work out in the morning. I’m always tired the second I wake up, and I always just tell myself to get over it and go. But some mornings are definitely not awesome once I get to the gym. In terms of hunger, I ALWAYS feed the machine. I’ve done the “underfed” thing before and it’s not a good time. I rather have a day of overeating than feel like crap all day. Besides, the day after a “hungry day” is usually a “not hungry day” so it always balances out :)

2. I get a REAL weekend!! Woohoo!!! Tonight I’m reading blogs and watching MTV in my peejays. It will be glorious :D Tomorrow I’m taking the boy out to dinner and a movie to celebrate my first big paycheck.

Have a great weekend JB!!!

Stacy January 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I am having this day TODAY I just wrote about it and it is crazy how similar your yesterday is to my today. I was reading your post saying to myself “I just wrote that” promise I didn’t read this before I posted :) I am tired today. I did my work out but it was half assed for sure. I am also fighting a MMMAAADDD craving for unhealthy food but I am fighting back and I will win! I hope you are feeling better today then you were yesterday! Have a great weekend chicka!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Oh man oh man I hate when the bottomless pit known as my stomach won’t shut the heck up for nothing. Gah. Wanna die when that happens. Funny today is one such day! And yes, I have been going on very little sleep- there is some science about that that I used to know before when I read more mags and less blogs :-)

Your wasa snack did look yummers, but truth be known I would have been hungry an hour later too.

I do listen to my body. Sometimes too much. So whatever “plan” I might have had goes bye bye. Today I had planned to have some veggies, soup, protein for dinner, but nope I wanted something sweet, so it was a greek yog, Heab maple oatie, berries and nut butter. Just wasn’t feelin’ the savory love. Oh, and I didn’t work out at all today b/c I didn’t wanna. So there.

Love you!