on the go.

by Janetha on January 6, 2010

in meals,moves

happy national bean day! i know that you are all anxiously awaiting the results of my bean poll.  i decided to curb your anxiety and start with that:

your favorite type of bean:

• black 35.5%
  • garbanzo 28.7%
  • pinto 7.5%
  • baked 4.8%
  • aduki 3.2%
  • soya 3.2%
  • white 3.2%
  • jelly 3.2%
  • peanuts 3.2%
  • green 3.2%
  • kidney 2.7%
  • great northern 1.6%

so.. black was clearly the winner! and garbanzo coming in second.  none of the other beans had a chance! and susan pointed out that peanuts are in fact legumes. smart girl!

well, yesterday i was up before i had to be and this morning was the complete opposite.. i woke up right when i was to be at work. hum.

so breakfast was eaten on the go.. i knew i would not have time to eat when i got to the office.. late.

meal 1: one banana & two string cheeses @ 8:45 AM

IMG_4941IMG_4942

and a blurry bottle of water. one down, four to go.

i had originally planned to make protein waffles in honor of waffle wednesday but it was a TOTAL fail :( i may have to have waffles tomorrow to make up for it!!

work work work work work. i felt like i was going a mile a minute today. sooo busy!  i had to head out to the expo center to help set up for the home show we are in this weekend.. so lunch was eaten on the go.

meal 2: turkey wrap (flat out+spinach+laughing cow+turkey+honey mustard+mushrooms) & carrots+snap peas @ 12:15 PM

i took the above photo in the reception area of the office. and i had these magic cookie bars staring me in the face. i refrained. but DANG i love those things! i just thought: jamaica, jamaica, jamaica!”

and then ate my lunch while driving.. just like i did with my breakfast. sad.IMG_4952 IMG_4954

that was bottle of water #3.  three down, two to go.

i worked some more after my running around.. and did some training.. and working.. and no blog reading.  i am afraid this will be the case all week.  i apologize for my absence from reading blogs! love you guys!

i eventually found myself hungry again.. yet still busy at the office.. so my snack was, what else? on the go.

meal 3: blueberry vanilla protein shake @ 3:30 PM

look! the color of it matched my sweater perfectly!

this was so good!  it was 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup blueberries, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder and ice. it tasted just like an ice cream shake, i am not even kidding.  thank you magic bullet!

when 5 o’clock hit, i changed and went to the gym.  it was a cardio+abs day as per my challenge.

after monday’s workout i knew i had to get a playlist on my ipod that would keep me occupied for 45 minutes without getting bored.  i hadn’t had time to create a playlist since i’ve been so busy.. so what did i do?

i made an on the go playlist! it just seemed right.. fitting in perfectly with my on the go sort of day ;)

i walked for the first 5 minutes of my cardio session because i was busy making my on the go playlist.  and then i hit the ground running!  i actually made up a pretty entertaining cardio workout today~ here is how it went:

(incline was 0.0 the whole time)

minute # speed (MPH)
35-38 6
38-39 8
39-40 4.5
40-43 6
43-44 8
44-45 4.5

as you can see, the format was jog 3 minutes/run 1 minute/walk (fast) 1 minute.. and i repeated this format 8 times through.

i ended up going 4.35 miles which i added to my mileage tally page! i am over 2% done for the year’s goal!

i finished the workout off with 15 minutes of abs, i did each move for a whole minute, three times through:

• bicycle crunches
  • leg lifts
  • lower abs on decline bench
  • ball crunches
  • plank

dude. this workout was KILLER! i loved every minute of it and can’t wait to do it again sometime soon. highly suggested!

i came home and was so glad i had thrown dinner together in the crock pot this morning!

on the menu?

meal 4: pumpkin chili @ 7:00 PM

for the chili, i combined the following:

• 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 11 oz can corn
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 14.5 oz can pure pumpkin
  • LOTS of cumin
  • LOTS of chili powder
  • red pepper flakes

i let those ingredients cook in my crock pot on low for 8-9 hours.  then when i got home i stirred in these bad boys:

would you believe me if i told you i didn’t even know it was national bean day today when i planned this meal?! how awesome.

i topped mine with a dollup of 0% greek yogurt and fresh ground pepper.

this hit the spot. and it was so nice to actually sit down and eat this meal.. not having to eat it on the go was a nice change of pace.

well folks, i am beyond exhausted. and my penny bean is sick ~ she threw up

i am going to cuddle up with her and call it a night.

after all, it is national bean day and she is my very favorite little bean <3

before i go, i wanted to let you know i have updated my jamaican me bikini read challenge page with today’s results!

hope you all made it through your wednesday in one piece. see you tomorrow for some more meals & moves!

1. loved yesterday’s answers on lower body moves. how about you all tell me your favorite abs move?? lately i have been loving the reverse crunches on the floor!

2. one week of 2010 is down! 51 to go. how are your new year’s resolutions going? have you had a hard time yet? i have flossed daily, have ran almost 10 of the 400 miles i said i would run and not even wanted a drop of soda.. BUT~ it is only a week into the new year ;)

Emily January 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

1. Toe taps.
2. Terrible, surgery recovery is not conducive to resolutions!

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce January 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm

aww poor penny bean, hope she feels better! in honor of the national holiday i celebrated in the form of hummus. yuM! i had forgotten about peanuts being legumes, good catch!

jenngirl January 6, 2010 at 9:34 pm

You just helped me realize that I actually celebrated Waffle Wednesday without knowing it! And you can ALWAYS make up for it tomorrow ;)

1. I’ve been loving Side Planks with a Twist lately, I love doing them slow and controlled!

2. I think I’ve been doing pretty good, I need to get on my nightly reading though…and I don’t mean blogs ;)

mom January 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Oh dear what’s up with little PJ?? Glad you got to sit and enjoy dinner. Hey dad brought home a straight weight bar (late Christmas gift) I’m so excited to use it tomorrow!!

Doing pretty good on my goals!
Xoxo

traynharder23 January 6, 2010 at 9:46 pm

i’m a big fan of just the sit up. or the butterfly situp. one thing that really gets me goin is the glute ham situp.
right now, i figured out my max for situps to make my abs burn (they usually don’t burn, weirdly) : 370. hahha. i didn’t know this til i tallied! no wonder i’m kinda sore today!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 6, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Oh no, Penny! I hope she’s ok and doesn’t need to go to the doggie doc! Cute photo of the two of you.

That is some stealthy resolve to pass up those cookies- but you will rock that bikini.

So funny about the color of your smoothie and the color of your sweater! :-) I actually don’t mind eating in the car. Sometimes I relish it to be honest- like if I’ve got a long trip ahead, I actually kinda relax. Sounds like yours weren’t though.

Keep it up with the goals- so cute you already calculated the percentage of your running goal completed! And also the % of beans we liked. Did you ask what % of us get farty? hee hee.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Oh must tell you the best ab move ever. It’s for obliques and you can use the TRX OR just a high Universal attachment set at like 200 pounds. All you do is grab the handle that is straight over your head with arms outstretched, then lean your whole body to the side til you can’t go any further, then come back. Looks like a wussy move? uh, no. Sore for days.

kbwood January 6, 2010 at 9:52 pm

i loveee bicycle kicks for some reason.. i dk why! and the twisted move..haha i dk what its even called! im sure youve done it before. i always eat in the car! no shame!

The Hot and Fit January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Scissors!

plamarie January 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Good job resisting those magic bars! I was going to make those at Christmas but changed my mind as i knew I could not be trusted!
Hope Penny bean feels better soon.

Tamzin January 7, 2010 at 3:08 am

Well done on nearly finishing your first week your an inspiration! My fav ab move has got to be the plank for sure, my resolutions are going well I haven’t eaten any processed foods or meat and am still looking forward to my treat day yay!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 7, 2010 at 4:40 am

Great job on resisting those magic bars!! My favorite ab move is by far planks, and any variation of them – I love them. Didn’t really make a resolution, so I’m doing well! :)

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) January 7, 2010 at 4:41 am

1) I love good ol’ fashioned planks.

2) I’m definitelt failing at most of my New Years resolutions. :-(

That chili looks amazing!!

Susan January 7, 2010 at 4:58 am

Omg, are those rocky road squares? Those are one of my many weaknesses. You are one strong ass woman to turn those down!

1. Planks. I used to hate them, but now it’s a mind over matter thing for me and I love the challenge of it. I always feel so proud when I talk myself into squeezing out an extra 15 seconds :)

2. Good!! Holly and I are planning an adventure to Banff, a perfect opportunity for resolution #5 – L-I-V-E ;)

April January 7, 2010 at 5:07 am

I’m REALLY loving your cardio sessions! I can’t wait to do this one!

I love decline crunches WOO! http://www.shapefit.com/abs-exercises-decline-crunches.html

I didn’t really have any resolutions but I’ve eaten gluten and dairy so that’s out the window ;)

April January 7, 2010 at 5:07 am

BTW…those bars are the devil!!! Sweetened condensed milk is like the best thing ever!

inmytummy January 7, 2010 at 6:28 am

Oops, I missed your bean poll post. I totally would have picked jelly. I love me some jelly bellies.

Great job on your 2010 goals! I still haven’t had an alcohol this year. Woo hoo! The goal is to do that for a month and hopefully it’ll change some leftover college behaviors that I still have!

eatolive January 7, 2010 at 6:49 am

aww poor penny! i hope she gets/feels better soon!!

i have yet to master the reverse crunch on the floor, i think i’m doing it wrong.

i love love love the one that i don’t know the name of. it’s a regular crunch but it’s on the bench thingie where you’re kind of upside down on a bench and your legs are secured under the bar thing and you crunch upwards. loooove those even though i look silly doing them! hahaah

ellie January 7, 2010 at 7:19 am

Those squares look delish! Good job on turning them down…

Sending get-well-soon vibes to Penny. Did she eat something weird?

I *heart* crunches for some reason. Planks are my favourite.

NY resolutions- GOING STRONG!

lowandbhold January 7, 2010 at 7:33 am

Your bean results are quite interesting, and not what I would have expected. I do love black beans though, I just forgot to mention them though.

Poor Penny Bean, I hope she is right as rain today! Sorry you’ve been so busy :(

1. The one where you get in push-up position on a stability ball and draw the ball up to your midsection with your feet. No idea if it has a name or if I described it accurately.
2. So far so good I think!

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 7, 2010 at 7:37 am

I missed your bean poll, but you all got it right. ;) Black & gabanzo beans are the best! :)

1. Favorite ab move? I should do more planks…
2. The first week of the year is going well.

ksgoodeats January 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

I’ve never had a magic cookie bar but that’s probably a good thing. Everyone loses their minds over it and the last thing I need is another food obsession. I hope Penny is feeling better!!

1. Where you have your toes on a stability ball and you roll them up towards you with your hips in the air. Love it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

I hate on-the-go days, so crazy! Hopefully tomorrow will be more relaxed for ya. LOVE the pumpkin chili!

1. I love twist crunches, for the obliques.
2. I’m doing OK with my resolutions. Some I’m good with, some I am NOT!

xo
Kris

Graze With Me January 7, 2010 at 8:10 am

Haha, “bean poll”. Get it? Beanpole? Maybe I’ve just been called that way too many times. :)

I hate eating in the car – I like to look at my food when I take a bite and that throws me all off. I’m assuming you don’t drive a stick-shift right? That’s the worst!

You just keep chanting “Jamaica” & I’ll keep chanting “Hawaii”!!!

1) Plank!!
2) Eating inuitively and not counting calories. CHECK! :) So far, so good.

Jenna January 7, 2010 at 8:22 am

Yummy chili!!

april January 7, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’m impressed that you can remember your cardio workouts.. I can’t remember my speeds and minutes to save my life!!

And favorite ab moves?? Don’t even get me started! LOL. Lets see.. there’s reverse crunches on an incline bench, ball pass, pike on the ball, oh and I could go on and on!!

Holly January 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

hey hey hey! signed up for spanish classes, getting my travel on next month, cooking up a storm in the kitch and saving some dolla dolla bills. check and check.

i hope you got to rest tonight my love – a gal can only go on the go for so long :) LOVE YOU – let’s catch up soon…please?

stability ball crunches. love.

see above new years update.

xoxoxox

Jocelyn January 7, 2010 at 8:44 am

wow you certainly did eat alot of meals on the go today! Bet sitting down to dinner was nice :) Hope your pup feels better today!

closet365project January 7, 2010 at 8:56 am

Those are some rockin’ tights you got on there. When your stuff arrives, maybe you can do a guest post for me, assuming you like the scarf enough to wear it.

I must have missed the bean poll because my RSS feeds are a day behind, but I’m glad my top two are in the top two.

And I like side plank crunches. Those always give me DOMS.

Tracey January 7, 2010 at 9:15 am

I’m sorry about your puppy, hope she feels better! I hate it when my dogs are sick, they are such innocent little creatures:)

Did your chili have a strong pumpkin flavor?

lisaou11 January 7, 2010 at 9:38 am

That pumpkin chili sounds delish. Im putting that in my recipes to try folder!!

1. Planks. Forever and always.

2. Walking my dog 5 times a week (only done it once this week, so not good). Saving money–awesome. School—starts next week :)

Ashley January 7, 2010 at 9:39 am

Good job on resisting the magic cookie bars. Today is a coworkers birthday. I must resist the breaded motz sticks. They are a deadly foe in my life.

I’m so making your chili this weekend. Looks delish!

Hope your pup feels better :)

julie January 7, 2010 at 9:52 am

look at you getting your long @$$ cardio sesh on :) love it! if my hip wasn’t in two pieces i would be all about that workout!

you were like the prime example of a healthy person taking all of their meals on the go and still getting in good meals. please come and talk to my clients about the non need for drive throughs.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love the tights you are wearing in one of the pics. So cute!

Tiffany S. January 7, 2010 at 10:33 am

My favorite abs move to hate is the one where your hanging on your elbows and having to pull your knees up to your chest. I haven’t done it in years – probably can’t even anymore but I used to rock it!

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Busy, busy lady! Hope work calms down for you soon. I know eating in the car isn’t so pleasant.
Poor Penelope :( Hope she feels better soon.

snackface January 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm

JANETHA!!!! I am so sorry that I am SO behind on commenting! I don’t even know if I can go back and comment on each post. Back to school has been kicking my ass!

My fave abs move: crunches on a stability ball with my bum directly centered on top of the ball. This forces me to use my lower abs, as I’m dipping back farther than normal. Lovvve.

OK, must run to classe!!!! Love you, darling!!! xoxoxox

Naomi (onefitfoodie) January 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm

i cant pick just one favorite ab move! I love so many of them! ball roll outs are graet! I use a stability ball and roll out like an ab wheel then roll back in! I also love ball crunches, I lower my legs and ball over my head then bring the ball to meet my feet. reverse crunches on a decline bench are also awesome!!

I love string cheese, something about peeling it! its so fun to eat and so rich tasting! i am having one later with some turkey chili!!

that blueberry protein shake looks great and love how it matches…youa re ROCKING thsi plan girl, you are going to be rock solid for Jamaica, they better watch out for JANETHA!

Erin January 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Oh how I adore your little bean! And that punkin chili looks delicious!

I’ve kept all my resolutions so far, except making more time for yoga. But that’s simply b/c I’ve been enjoying my gym time too much. Yoga can wait til I’m ready for it, lol.

Jess January 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I think I love your tights. In my head, I am a rockin’ young thing, but in actuality I am the nicest girl next door ever. My husband proved this to me at Disney because I was debating over a Tinkerbell tee I liked but it had that word sassy on it and I don’t like things written on clothes. He walked over to a display of purses and picked up one with Tink on it that was kinda garish, tattoo hearts and flowers, sequins, and said, “why not get this one?” and I made a face and went, “ick!” and he said, “see, that is EXACTLY why you are not sassy.” Toady one, Jess zero.

My new year’s resolutions are made of fail. I only walked to the store once and did a set of burpees and otherwise have not moved my large rumpus at ALL. Boo.

Katie January 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Aw, poor penny! I hope she feels better! I like plank type moves for my abs…side plank, plank twists (bring knees to elbows one at a time, twisting…), plank jacks, etc.

I’m about 90% on my New Year’s resolutions, and I think that’s pretty good. :-)

katecooks January 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm

wow what a crazy day! hope penny is feeling better. i am uber impressed that you passed on those yummy cookie bars! you are awesome!!!

Lynn at The Actors Diet January 7, 2010 at 7:33 pm

the chili looks terrific! you are a busy bee

Bekah January 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm

hahaha I didn’t even vote in the favorite bean, but mine’s great northern. I know weird?! But I love them added to tomato soup instead of cream/dairy/milk, or added to chicken/turkey chili. :)

Also love chickpeas.

Great day Janetha! Busy is bettter I think for shaping up. So no worries.

brandi January 8, 2010 at 8:38 am

I LOVE YOUR TIGHTS! super cute :)

Jenny January 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you…

..couldn’t help myself.

jqlee January 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

good for you for passing up the cookie bars because they DO look delicious.