holiday hypnosis.

by Janetha on December 7, 2009

in meals,moves

hi friends!  so i am glad you all let me get away with such a cop out post last night.  i was just sooo tired and it was so late!  i am still pretty beat as today has been an incredibly long monday, but i do have LOTS of yummy food to talk about so i figured i should do a legit post :)

before i start, i wanted to link to these lovely ladies who did flashback friday posts~sorry i am linking back so late, i didn’t think i was going to have such a long hiatus! and actually i haven’t even had time to READ all these posts myself~but i promise i will get there!!

hooray! so glad so many people took part in flashback action :)

SO.. today, today.. monday.. i am not even going to show you my breakfast but it was the usual monday fare~egg white scramble+veggies+toaat & coffee as per usual.

i will show you my afternoon pick-me-up though because i got a super rad placemat!

chocolate+banana+PB2 protein shake~

yesss.. my placemat is going to help me count down to christmas! and since i don’t eat candy, i can’t have an advent calendar, so this works out perfectly for me :) p.s. i got it at tar-jay for those of you who wonder.

IMG_8858IMG_8859 IMG_8860IMG_8861

after work i had some HIIT action~

i just did my go to HIIT routine and maxed out at 9 MPH followed by a 5 minute walk on a 15% incline @ 4 MPH.  good, quick 25 minute workout.

after my speedy treadmill sesh it was straight home to get ready for the annual company holiday party which i am in charge of every year!  i am always nervous that it is not going to be amazing because all the pressure is on me since i have to plan it.

speaking of.. here is a joke:

Q; how do you throw a party in space?

A: you planet. (hehe.. get it? planet=plan it)

moving on.

the venue i booked the party at was a fantastic location with big floor to ceiling windows with a view of the gallivan center which has an outdoor skating rink.

there is also a spectacular view of the city which is decorated with festive lights this time of year. fabulous.

i loved this ice sculpture!

gnarly photo.

the first hour was a social hour with hors d’oeuvres and mingling..

the hors d’oeuvres i selected for the menu were:

IMG_8867IMG_8868 IMG_8862IMG_8863 IMG_8864IMG_8865

i tried one of each~

IMG_8886IMG_8887

the chicken was my favorite. probably because it tasted like it was dipped in peanut butter ;)

i also enjoyed some hot wassail which is a holiday favorite of mine when it comes to beverages.  i love egg nog too but don’t drink it often because it is ridiculously horrible for you!

during the social hour there was a greek band playing.  my boss is greek and his cute 90 year old mom was there and got all of us up for a dancing circle!  it was hilarious to see everyone try to dance and trip over their feet.

up next was the buffet-style dinner.  the spread was outrageously enormous so i will just show you all of it!!

IMG_8872IMG_8903 IMG_8873IMG_8905IMG_8874IMG_8904IMG_8875IMG_8907IMG_8876IMG_8906IMG_8877IMG_8923 IMG_8878IMG_8924 IMG_8879IMG_8925 IMG_8880IMG_8926IMG_8881IMG_8927IMG_8882IMG_8922

i ended up trying a bit of each item (for the most part.. not the mayo-laden seafood salad or the salami & cheese tray)~

my favorite things were the risotto and the hazelnut crusted chicken.. really delicious!! i wanted to go back for more but i didn’t because i knew dessert was up next.

after dinner there was one more dancing sesh that i actually participated it. it was pretty hard to dance since i was in stiletto boots but i somehow managed!

then on to dessert~ holy wow.. sooo many different choices! luckily i am not a huge sweets person or i would be in big trouble ;)

here is what they had to offer~IMG_8892 IMG_8888 IMG_8890 IMG_8891

IMG_8909     IMG_8889

i chose a small square of carrot cake and a tart of some sort and ate half of each.  i also snagged a bite of marshall’s key lime pie.

and next was the entertainment!  i managed to find a hypnotist comedian to entertain us at the party.  oh. my. gosh.  it was hilarious!!  he did pull marshall and i up to the front but neither of us were able to get hypnotized.

marshall is there in the green~IMG_8941

a few people ended up getting really, really hypnotized and it was so funny! one of my coworkers was totally out for the count and was doing all sorts of ridiculous things on command..

such as playing in an orchestra~

showing off their muscles~IMG_8948

and pulling someone from the audience to demonstrate their killer dance moves~

pretty sure we were all in tears from laughing so hard at the end of it!

i am really glad this year’s party went off without a hitch.  i am pretty sure everyone enjoyed themselves.  good food, fun entertainment and great people.. three ingredients to a fun work holiday party!!

well i am going to bail now.. it is midnight already!  had no time to catch up with everyone today~hope tomorrow is a little nicer to me and i have some free time :)

have a great tuesday~oh.. tuesday is national brownie day!! celebrate accordingly ;)

1. have you ever been/attempted to be hypnotized? did it work? discuss. i am kind of glad it didn’t work for me or i would have made a complete fool of myself up there tonight ;)

2. favorite holiday beverage? i do love hot wassail but i think the pumpkin spice latte trumps all holiday beverages.

xo. janetha b.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 8, 2009 at 12:29 am

holy food pics…and I give you major props for taking all those food pics…people had to be giving you a random look or two? hah!

hypnotized…yes in a way. don’t laugh, I did a past life regression to see who I was in my past lives and for a good 45 min I was out, for another 45 I was outish but not totally gone.
Holiday bev? Well used to be champagne but i havent drank in 4 yrs and am afraid to start b.c my tolerance will be so ridic low!

Marissa December 8, 2009 at 12:32 am

What a nice party!!!!

Tay December 8, 2009 at 12:53 am

okay I totally laughed out loud at your corny joke ;-) Loved it!!

Karin December 8, 2009 at 3:24 am

Haha I’d die if I’d get hypnotized in front of my colleagues. Hilarious.
The holiday party looks amazing! Glad to hear that everything went well.

Never been hypnotized (thank god..) and don’t really have a favourite holiday beverage as they aren’t that popular over here. I just drink wine ;).

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 8, 2009 at 4:49 am

Those desserts look incredible! I got some of those plates at Target, too. I think they are so cute!!

Lauren December 8, 2009 at 5:25 am

Girl, this is an INSANE Holiday Party. I am so sad that I have to miss mine this weekend. Ours is pretty extravagant, but the best part would have to be the open bar! :) (Isn’t is always?)

I have never heard of wassail nor have I been hypnotized. Both sound like something I would be willing to try at some point though.

Hope you are having a great week girly!

Emily (The Experimentarian) December 8, 2009 at 5:57 am

Oh yay! I’m so glad to see everything went well–especially the entertainment! The food looks amazing–kind of funny, on the green beans pic, the sign looked like it just said “Advanced Green Beans” to me at first. I was like, wow, yum! I want some advanced green beans. What a dork :) xoxo

crunchygranolagal December 8, 2009 at 6:03 am

ahh, gotta love the office holiday party. looks like you did a great job spreading holiday cheer! especially with that placemat. a+! :)

erika December 8, 2009 at 6:23 am

Great planning for the party! I was hypnotized once in college and people told me it was hysterical, I don’t remember much. And my fave holiday drink is egg nog. So bad, I know. But only my mom’s homemade bc at least I know what is in it and each year I allow myself one tiny cup.

Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) December 8, 2009 at 6:59 am

It looks like you are a killer party planner. Great job!

My husband and I went to see one of the comedian hypnotist guys and it was absolutely hilarious. Neither one of us were hypnotized but I think it is more fun to watch everyone else anyway.

jenngirl December 8, 2009 at 7:09 am

Wow the food at that event all sounds wonderful! And I love ice sculptures :)

1. definitely no hypnosis for me–i don’t really think it would work, but also, it scares me if it does…

2. i don’t really have a favorite holiday beverage, i’m sure i would love pumpkin spice lattes though!

Jenny December 8, 2009 at 7:15 am

bah! why did you have to drop that adorbz tarjey find on me? I just spent mucho dinero there yesterday and now I’m so tempted to go back today. I have issues.

sounds like a fun night with the dude! I could honestly make a meal out of hor d’oevours (such a silly word) bruschetta rocks!

I attempted to get hypnotized at my HS grad party but it didn’t work on me.. I suppose I’m just too smart ;) or too self-aware.. I’ll go with the latter.

love ya sugz!

april December 8, 2009 at 7:52 am

That dessert tray would have been so dangerous if it was in front of me! haha.

My favorite holiday drink is hot chocolate! I’m too young to drink :D

Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 8, 2009 at 7:53 am

ohhh pretty party and you and marshall look so chic and hotttt

i also loved your corny joke!! those always make me laugh, i guess im a kid at heart :)

hazelnut crusted chicken sounds fantastic, just gave me an idea for a meallll yay

have a great day girlfriend!

lisaou11 December 8, 2009 at 7:56 am

That’s one hell of a party with some delicious lookin food!

I’ve never been hypnotized but I think it’d be a blast!

And then my fav holiday beverage is simple , but hot apple cider!

Quinn December 8, 2009 at 8:12 am

Awesome holiday party! Love the cool photo of you and Marshall with the lights all distorted :)

When I was 12 my friends and I would fake hypnotize each other at slumber parties.

Fave bevvie – hot apple cider, but the new Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleighride tea is getting to be up there!

Ildie December 8, 2009 at 8:28 am

That party looked fun as heck. My holiday parties were always lame and stuffy at this over the top country club! We haven’t had one in the last 2 years due to the economy though and I must admit, I don’t mind it one bit. :)

I’ve never been hypnotized and I never want to be. For some reason the idea of not being in control just sort of freaks me out.

I love a good peppermint latte with a drizzle of sugar free chocolate syrup. YUM!

Andrea@WellnessNotes December 8, 2009 at 8:31 am

All the food looks amazing! And now I want something sweet…

I have never been hypnotized, but I have always been wondering if it would work…

I like hot apple cider and pumpkin spice lattes.

brandi December 8, 2009 at 9:18 am

i love corny jokes like that :)

that party looks like so much fun!

julie December 8, 2009 at 9:33 am

ha! i love silly jokes :)

what did sushi a say to sushi b?

wasaaaaaabiiiiiiiiiiii!

hahahahahaha. thats my fav of all time

i’m so hungry for lunch right now and it’s only 11:30 thank you very much.

buffmuffy December 8, 2009 at 9:51 am

hi sweety! What is hot wassail???
I would have had one of each dessert… i wont lie…
ESP the blackberry topped cakes…omg. was one lemoned flavored!?!!

ellie December 8, 2009 at 9:53 am

I love that joke. No joke. Lol. K, maybe I am jsut way tired right now. Also digging your placemat- too cute!

Party looks AWESOME! So cool to have a hypnotist! Gah. I remember your smoothie stand too and yes- still want you to plan my wedding. You could totally be an events planner.

1. have you ever been/attempted to be hypnotized? did it work? Never tried but I think it is really cool. My uncle is a hypnotist but does more stuff like therapy and things rather than party tricks.

2. favorite holiday beverage? What is WASSAIL? I am intrigued! We don’t have holiday drinks in the UK aside from mulled wine which I don’t like, so my vote goes to white hot chocolate. Which i have never had but it sounds Christmassy and crazy tasty.

Coco December 8, 2009 at 10:12 am

I have never been hypnotized but it fascinates me that people can actually do that. Looks like a fun shindig!!! So glad you picked carrot cake and snagged some key lime pie. Those two desserts are my fav!
1. Never been hypnotized but would love to!
2. Hot cocoa or eggnog with whiskey. I’ve never tried the pumpkin spice latte, but it sounds good!

Sweet and Fit December 8, 2009 at 10:38 am

damn girl! you throw one kick ass holiday party!

1. never been hypnotized, its never too late though!

2. hot chocolate is definitely my favorite wintertime drink – soooo good!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) December 8, 2009 at 10:39 am

Sounds like a fun party!

1. have you ever been/attempted to be hypnotized? did it work? nope! I’m too chicken.

2. favorite holiday beverage? Eggnog. Hands down. I’ve never tried wassail!

Jocelyn December 8, 2009 at 11:28 am

Every year in university the school would get the Canadian hypnotist Tony Lee to come down and perform…(he’s a “dirty” hypnotist) lets just say lol..my my he had people doing some naughty embarrasing things..let me tell ya LOL)

anyhoo I think you did a great job of finding a great venu and all of the food looks delish!! Hope you had fun :)

Mary :: A Merry Life December 8, 2009 at 11:56 am

That placemat really is rad. I love it!

1. i’ve not really tried to be hypnotized. the one time i was at a show where he was trying to do it to the crowd i wasn’t trying so it didn’t work.

2. eggnog. for some reason i’m obsessed with drinking it now.

Whit December 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I love all the Christmas and delicious that you packed into this one post. Glorious.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) December 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Whoa! I’ve actually never seen someone get hypnotized. I’m not sure how I feel about it. Did it seem real? I’m intrigued!

Christmas parties are the best. I would struggle with all that food being around! Kudos to you for keeping it in check! :)

Lizzy December 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm

national brownie day! this is my favorite day! now i just wish i had some at home to make :( your party looks like it was such a blast. at my senior all night party, we had a hypnotist and it was hilarious! i love watching!!!!

xoxo girl!

carolinebee December 8, 2009 at 2:12 pm

SO fun!!! Looks like u did a greaaat job omg that food and venue look amazing! Have u ever tried Silk Nog- the Silk version of egg nog it is tasttaayy!

Kristin (Kristin's Nibbles) December 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm

What a delicious spread! It all looks drool-worthy.
I love your plate!! I need to get myself one!!

1. Never been hypnotized, nor seen it but it looks hilar!
2. Eggnog!! and peppermint hot chocolate. mmm

xo
K

Tina December 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I’m going to bullet point this… (cause I’m feeling bullet-pointy atm):
– love the nerdy joke (I salute you fellow geek, with much love from planet funny jokes)
– that foto is awesome – the christmas spirit shines through, Janetha. You must have been a very good girl this year!
– it is my lifelong dream to join a group of greek dancers and go from wedding to wedding breaking plate, drinking ouzo and yelling “Hey!”
– you have amazing control. Had it been me, I would have “sampled” all of the desserts, leaving none for the other guests (I’m a pig and proud of it!)

1. I’ve never been hypnotized, but I’d like to.
2. Anything gingery!

Love you, doll!

ksgoodeats December 8, 2009 at 2:27 pm

LOVE the Tar-jay place mat! So festive! I’d say your holiday party was a huge success!!

1. I’ve never been hypnotized – I don’t need someone to make me look like a fool, I do it naturally :)
2. I do love an adult hot chocolate or white Russians this time of the year!

Tiffany S. December 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

*Big Applause* and I manage an Events company office! Much nicer than our party this year! Way to go!

We had a hypnotist in college, and I did get very sleepy but that was about it.

Susan December 8, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Getting a hypnotist was such a great idea!!! And that spread is HUGE – so much great looking food! Feel free to come plan the Starbucks xmas party ;)

1. I’ve never been hypnotized before. Sounds kinda frightening :

2. Okay, I just had to Google wassail – I’ve never heard of that before! My favourite holiday drink is good ole Baileys in my coffee. I don’t even have to ask for it – my mom’s boyfriend just automatically spikes everyone’s coffee when we’re home ;)

Special K December 8, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Last year I went to showing with a hypnotist and it didn’t touch me…go figure!

And I think hot coca with baileys? With peppermint schnapps? Have you heard of Gluvein?

Lynn at The Actors Diet December 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm

i did hypnosis to try to make me stop binge eating. most definitely did NOT work.

question – did you ever get the zevia from the giveaway? i am going to contact them soon b/c someone else didn’t and i wanted to see what was the story.

email me at actorsdiet(at)gmail.com

Sarah December 8, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Janetha. You are too cute. I love your “advent calendar” I need to get one of those. Stat.

I have never tried hypnosis. It kind of freaks me out!

My favorite holiday drink. Oh my. Uhm. I love the gingerbread lattes at Starbies, but I hardly ever get them. when I lived in Germany there was this special xmas drink called Gluhwein. Basically spiced wine. SO GOOD.

Hallie December 8, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Oooh fun work party! That’s impressive that you planned it all. My work party is on Friday but we do it potluck style (hello, nonprofit world!) still fun though.

Holiday beverages…I’m not sure, but I had some hot chocolate with rum in it last weekend and that might be a new fave! I haven’t had any of the fancy lattes so I don’t know how they’d rank for me.

Lara (Thinspired) December 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm

How fun! I don’t think I’ll be going to any holiday parties this year :( I love the way you did the photos with the food/name of food.

How perfect that today is Brownie Day–my mom just made a batch! :)

I have never been hypnotized. I’d be scared to see what I said!

Um, is wine a holiday beverage? ;)

Jenna December 8, 2009 at 5:55 pm

what a great party with yummy food!
jenna

kbwood December 8, 2009 at 6:17 pm

OH MY GOSH. this post was such a tease!! so many great foods that i will never be in access to!! haha. thanks SO much about your protien oats advice.. i need to find that pro powder asap

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Wow great job- party planning isn’t easy. The h-nut chix was droolworthy.

Hypno- no. Wouldn’t mind, but hasn’t happened. I tried. To lose weight. No response sigh.

Love me my egg nog but almost never indulge. I know you can skinnify it though.

miss you!

Alexandra December 9, 2009 at 9:22 am

I plan our holiday party every year too and I agree with the immense amount of pressure. Yours looks like it turned out great – the hypnosis is such a fun idea!