smooth operator.

by Janetha on September 13, 2009

in meals,moves

hey guys! it was so fun hearing about your family traditions in my last post. sounds like everyone has some fun things they look forward to each year.  i know i am looking forward to the holidays for some more traditional adventures.

well, it is one of those blog-at-1-in-the-morning type of posts.. so this will be short and sweet. REAL sweet actually, because i whipped up blender upon blender upon BLENDER of fresh fruit smoothies tonight!

but before i show you all that, let’s take it from the top!

the top was not too early today. i set my alarm with good intentions to go to a spinning class at 8 AM~somehow turned the blaring alarm off and had no dogs sleeping with me to pull me out of bed.. so i rolled over until 10!  i know most of you are early risers, but i have no shame in saying i can sleep in. and i can sleep in LATE. i could have kept sleeping when i woke up at 10 but i knew i had a busy day.  i could probably be a professional sleeper, i would be real good at it!

moves_thumb

i went straight to the gym for some HIIT!  i never get to workout first thing after i wake up because, well, it is impossible for me to make myself get up before work to go to the gym. trust me, i’ve tried.

i made some leaps and bounds, i am not sure if it was because i was running on an empty stomach or if i just had a power boost, but i set a new personal high for average heart rate and also a personal best for 20 min HIIT distance (on the treadmill).

the whole point of high intensity interval training is to get your HR to go up and down in intervals, but it is also important to have your overall average HR at a higher level, hence the term “high intensity”.  i was glad i cranked it up a notch today!

(numbers are in miles per hour)

• 2 min @ 6.0
  • 1 min @ 7.0
  • 1 min @ 7.5
  • 1 min @ 8.0
  • 1 min @ 10.0<—high point
  • 1 min @ 5.0

stats: 20 minutes, max HR 183, average HR 158, calories 169

i was a sweaty mess after this, always a good feeling.  i know the amount you sweat does not determine how good of a workout you got.. but it sure feels good to sweat a lot, don’t you all agree?!

meals_thumb

meal 1: egg scramble (mushrooms+onions+peppers+goat cheese) & 2 waffles with naturally more PB

9-12-09 017

by the time noon hit i had already downed over a half gallon of water. i was parched!

i had a lot of errands to run this afternoon:

• took 2 pair of jeans to the seamstress (i am a shortie! gotsta hem them)
  • picked up a birthday gift for my mom
  • went to the local fish market for tomorrow’s dinner supplies
  • went to the local mexican market for tomorrow’s dinner supplies
  • went to the grocery store to get stuff for tomorrow’s dinner

as you can see, lots of prepping for tomorrow! i will be cooking a delish dinner so make sure you check back tomorrow night ;)

once i got to my mom’s i was famished and still had a lot to do so i blended up a quick little drank…

meal 2: chocolate protein shake @ 4:00 PM

9-12-09 020

do you want to know what is crazy? i hadn’t checked today’s national food holiday before i had this, then i checked and it turned out that today was national chocolate milkshake day!! oh, i am just that good.

this just had a scoop of protein powder, a cup of almond milk and ice. i didn’t throw a carb in because i knew i would be eating one of the fruit shishkebabs during the wedding reception!

i changed into my beach attire—it was a beach themed reception which was kind of fun, i liked that it was casual and not super dressy!

marshall & i set up the tiki hut with our 3 blenders and smoothie supplies!

9-12-09 030

marshall looks happy to be there, no?

9-12-09 025

the three kinds we were whipping up:

9-12-09 036

it was a whirlwind! i was blending like caaarazy.. people were taking the smoothies faster than we could make them!

9-12-09 031

9-12-09 026

9-12-09 033

finally there was a lull in the crowd and we got to take a break…

9-12-09 041

and i got to have some fruit~9-12-09 042

my dad joined in on the lounging..9-12-09 043

and then it was back to work, blending, business as usual! i could open a smoothie stand of my own!9-12-09 023 9-12-09 024 9-12-09 028

whew.. enough smoothie photos, sorry if that was overkill!

when we were done we helped clean things up, i got a killer arm workout carrying bunches of chairs from the yard to the truck and then unloading them later on. my flappers—as my mom so lovingly calls them—are sore!

it is safe to say i was starving.

meal 3: grilled chicken salad @ 8:30 PM

9-12-09 044

marshall and i went to a spot called cafe rio (you SLC kids know about it, obv) but it is a real good mexican joint and their salads are to die for.. and usually around 1500-2000 calories a pop! i kept it clean though.. it was a rough order: “grilled chicken salad, no cheese on the tortilla, no beans, no rice, shredded lettuce, EXTRA pico, no.. no.. MORE pico please, extra cilantro, no tortilla strips.. yes! perfect! thanks kind sir.”

yes there was chicken hiding in there..

9-12-09 046

messy photo. sorry. but with that much pico, who needs dressing? not me!

well, that is the extent of eats in my day. i didn’t get a lot of meals in but i did wake up later than usual so i still managed to eat every 4 or so hours.. that is good.

came back to marshall’s and finished off season 4 of weeds so now we have to start watching season 5 online. dang that show is good!

oh and my girl emily notified me that the new larabar flavors have been spotted in the SLC! thanks for the tip girl! can’t wait to try that PBJ one.

serious time.. feel free to skip to the Qs at the end now and not read this, it could be long.. it could be boring.. but i gotta say a few things for myself.

i am not weighing myself these days. but i tried some pants on today.. well.. like 5 pair of jeans to be exact. let me just say i thought they would fit me by now and they still don’t.  i have been busting my ass these past 5 weeks and i am afraid i am not making the progress i am capable of, judging from my first go-around with body for life.  i have looked at everything i am doing under a microscope and picked through my workouts and meals with a fine toothed comb. everything i am doing is the same—if not better—than the first time around.  my workouts are intense and my eating is polished and i take my rest days and i drink my water.

i know, i know, i did not gain the weight in 5 weeks so i can’t expect it to be gone in 5 weeks, but i did expect to have a lot more progress than i have had. it is frustrating.  i don’t know what to do! and now i am real nervous to go to seattle on thursday.. and be on vacation for 4 days.. afraid i will screw up what little progress i have made.

it is crazy that i am typing this. i am the queen of knowing what to do in every situation.  i am the girl who people come to for advice about how to stay on track while out of town.  i know i can take my travel home gym and i know how to eat right when eating out. but i still am just kinda blah about the whole seattle thing because i haven’t made the progress i’d hoped for.

it is hard to deal with weight gain. way hard. yeah i was a fat kid before, but then i worked hard and got to where i needed to be.. and that was rad! last november i was in the very best shape of my life and i felt great.  i didn’t hate walking past a mirror in the store, cringing at the reflection, and i didn’t have to worry about grabbing one of my 20 pair of jeans and wonder if they wouldn’t fit.  it felt good.  damn good.

and then i threw all my progress out the window and i am mad at myself.  it is true. i am not getting all depressed-mode or anything, but i think it is important for me to be honest with everyone, honest with myself, and let it be known that i am pissed off that i let all my hard work go to pot. NO, i am not in horrible shape, but i am not where i want to be. and know that i WAS there a short 9 months ago kills me! duh janetha. and then to do the motions and eat the foods i know i should eat and not see the progress i know i saw once before? well that just straight baffles me.

so like i said, i am frustrated, and i am rambling, but i believe it is probably good for me to get it off my chest. i want to be my normal, happy, food loving, fun having self when i go to seattle.. i just hope i can be.

end rant.

ha. if you read that, then thank you.. and i am not asking for any pity, i was just venting some of my feelings, part of why i blog ;)

hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

momma b’s birthday celebration tomorrow, can’t wait to cook up a storm and have some good times with the fam!!

Qs

1. what do you want/was your wedding reception like? dressy? casual? dinner? just dessert? tiki hut with janetha and marshall blending smoothies? we are available for hire ;)

2. do you workout better in the morning or later in the day? i think later in the day i have much more energy, but i feel like i get a better “burn” when i workout in the morning. does that even make sense?

Chai September 14, 2009 at 7:16 am

Hi lady!

I can’t say anything that the commenters above haven’t already.. you ARE amazing, and you have every right to be frustrated…

I have 100lbs still left to lose, and I have been plateaued for almost a full YEAR now.
I work out 8-9 hours a week, and I eat pretty immaculately. I can’t lose. :-/

Sorry for the pity party.. I just want you to feel like you’re not alone. Our bodies aren’t pure science like they say… there MUST be something more, something else that moves the scale as well. I know you’ll find it.. and when you do… please bottle it up, and send it my way! :-)

Anyway, keep on keeping on… and when you feel frustrated, or stuck… just think of all of US, your followers… who are right there with you, and inspired by you… skinny jeans, or fat jeans :-)

eatolive September 14, 2009 at 9:05 am

tell me about it! i know the frustration (although, I am not NEARLY as strict with food as you are – you are def my role model on that!) but, it definitely is frustrating to not see results!

i have faith you’ll pull through though, all the hard work WILL pay off & you just gotta push through and it will come! it just may take a little longer than you were hoping for!

for real girl, you’re so good about your workouts and your eats, the hard work has to show soon. i hope when i move out of my parents house, and cook my own meals, i can be as healthy as you are now!

Graze With Me September 14, 2009 at 9:47 am

Wow, I’m super late commenting on this but I’m sure you know that I feel your pain! Weight gain, especially when you’re in maintenance mode, is a big kick in the ass. Hate it.

I’m with you though, I also tried on some jeans that STILL don’t fit. Grrr. Let’s say F it and keep on trucking, deal?

1) It was dressy with some damn good appetizers and a big ol’ food buffet complete with chocolate fountain. Loved it.

2) Workouts are always at night for me. I get nauseous when I do it in the am.

buffmuffy September 14, 2009 at 12:15 pm

aw sweety. you may just been building more strength than losing fat. You know, do you monitor your heart rate? You may not even be in the fat burning zone! Weight training is often in that heart rate zone, but still you are building muscle. so maybe during cardio, you should take it easier – the fat will come right off if you run longer and slower. Heart rate of around 150-160 at max. You may already do this, but if not I hope it helps.
love you!
-muffs

Jenny September 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm

ahhh J, I can’t believe I missed your little rant – that’s what I get for trying to multitask and read blogs while reading british lit homework. Here is what I WOULD have said had I been more attentive yesterday.

You said it best yourself girl, you didn’t put the weight on in 5 weeks, you can’t expect yourself to lose it in 5 weeks. During my weight loss journey I wasn’t “seeing results fast enough” so.. I immersed myself in to a world of self-hatred and disappointment. As a result, I began to cut my cals and increase my cardio DRASTICALLY just to see immediate results (enter: eating disorder) if I could I would give anything to go back to those days when I was in my little “rut”. Looking back now I wish I would’ve savored the process, cherished each day I was eating healthier and working out, even if I wasnt seeing the transformations in my body right then… knowing that I was taking the necessary steps that I needed to in order to lose the weight should have been incentive enough for me to stay on that healthy path. So, from someone who has been where you are — the greatest advice I can give you is to keep on keepin’ on, babe. Your hard work WILL pay off and you will mold and shape your body in to that strong and healthy powerhouse you’re looking for. All my love to you doll! :)

Tiffany S. September 14, 2009 at 5:16 pm

{{{{{{{Janetha}}}}}}}}

Dorky I know, but you need big hugs right now.
Be patient and kind to yourself. Believe me, I know ALL about starting over again. Just give it time and don’t give up! And I second what everything else has said (unless someone was mean, then screw them. I didn’t read through all the responses).

Plus, it is harder for those of us who are petite. It just is. I’ve seen it again and again. Just hang in there and stay fabulous with your sweet and loving family and your great guy and you can have it ALL again.

We’ll get a work out in if you have some time in Seattle, and you can bitch and moan all you want. :)

jocelyneatsfresh September 14, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I totally feel the same way as you right now. A few short months ago I had lots a buttload of weight..and these past summer months alot of it has creeped back on again..despite healthy eating and workin out (but..yea eating way too much) doesn’t matter what kind of food itis..if you eat too much ur gonna get PHAT. Duh.
I’m also annoyed with myself and can relate to EVERYTHING you say. But I guess the comforting fact is to know that we got there once and we shall get there again!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Trust me, we’ve all been there. I am not sure “which jeans” your talking about- the ones you fit into 9 months ago? Some unattainable crazy small size that you have always wanted to be?

I see what you do and for goodness sake, it seems like it would be “working” to your satisfaction- you eat sooo clean on your days on BFL. I do not do BFL, but one of the things that would concern me is the ‘day off’ and as long as it doesn’t become a binge (it doesn’t seem to with you!) then, it shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

My only other thought is this: The guy who did my underwater weighing told me that if I spend too much time above my lactate threshold, that I would burn up my muscle (not scientific term I know). And he said you can pop in and out of High HRs perhaps 3X per workout. My lactate threshold is 144. If my avg HR was 158, I’d be burning up all my muscle according to him! When I did what he said and went back a few months later, I had lost fat and gained muscle, (which is often not the case- you lose fat AND muscle if you are lowering your cals). Anyway, I have NO idea if this is true, but I’ve been sticking to it- you might want to ask around!??

Hang in there.

Wedding was pretty casual- at my Mom’s Home. What were the green smoothies? what made them green? I MUST work out by noon or I will never do it, EVER!

Hugs.

Jessica (jesslikesithot) September 15, 2009 at 12:17 am

Aw Janetha!! Don’t be so hard on yourself!! If you stick with your plan, the extra weight will eventually come off. It must, I mean…you have a pretty strict meal plan going on and you work out hard, so i’m sure it’s going to pay off in the long run! You gotta remember that permanent weight loss takes longer!

Just remember to keep enjoying what you eat and enjoying your life! Don’t let yourself cut back more, and become more strict with everything!! You are doing great, we love youuuu!!!!!

Melissa September 16, 2009 at 9:20 am

Girl, first of all…love your blog! I’m new to this whole venture, and it’s awesome to read your fun and engaging posts.
Second, I hear you on the constant battle with weight. I was a competitive athlete my whole life, and after finishing my NCAA eligibility, I stopped burning 6,000 calories a day swimming. After gaining like 20 lbs, I was so unhappy that I decided to take the plunge and diet/eat healthy/take of running. Hellish? I think yes…frustrating? Even more so than I would have imagined. It’s hard, but it’s worth it…you’re awesome, and you’ll get back to the shape you want to be in…trust me :)