all’s well that ends well.

by Janetha on September 2, 2009

in meals,moves

ay ay ay. this week has been one of those weeks where i don’t feel like there are enough hours in a day.  i hate that feeling.  i need to take a breather.. luckily there is a 3 day weekend upon us!  well.. most of us, i hope.

thank you for all the happy, sweet words about mable.  you guys are all so thoughtful and i feel really lucky to be a part of such an outstanding community <3

i really enjoyed reading about the tattoos you guys have and also your thoughts on them.

and i will have you know that in the chocolate vs. vanilla battle:

VANILLA WINS! it pulled ahead of chocolate by three points. i knew i could count on my fellow vanilla lovers ;)

okay so i am just going to get right to it. today was just something else. food fiascos and work stress and missed meals and unenthused workouts…but a perfect ending.. so let’s take it from the top.

meals_thumb

meal 1: waffle wednesday fail @ 8:30 AM

well first i ate this apple on the way to work because i woke up hungry like something fierce.

meals 281

then everyone at work wanted me to make them waffles so i did…

meals 283

and i THEN went to make my protein waffle and for some reason the batter did NOT cooperate with the iron, the waffle got all torn up and what not.. i had to pry it out with a knife… yes, i ate it regardless.

meals 284

just ate it plain. whatevs. and then i ate this somersault sample i got in the mail, as i know a lot of you did as well…

meals 286

i liked them! too bad i can’t find them in stores. i really adore the fact that the package refers to them as “crunchy nuggets”… probably a reason i would buy them without trying them!

i didn’t eat for a long time after.

meal 2: turkey/annie’s honey mustard/green pepper/flat out wrap & veggies+chipotle sabra @ 2:00 PM

meals 288

lots of green on that plate, no?

meals 290

just as good as yesterday.

ended up working an hour longer than i should have. again.  really putting in the OT this week.. ah well, i guess it will be worth it since i am going to seattle in a couple weeks.

meal 3: oikos/peach/cinnamon/maple almond butter @ 6:00 PM

• 10 @ 80#
  • 8 @ 85#
  • 6 @ 90#
  • 24 @ 75#

crunches on decline bench with twist & 10# weight

• 3 sets of 20

lower ab half crunches on decline bench

• 3 sets of 50

the end. didn’t have stats, didn’t wear my HR monitor.

but i was pretty exhausted so i kind of think the HR was lacking. and the whole fact that i used mainly machines today didn’t help. but hey, i got my workout in and that is what matters.

meals_thumb

had to drive to marshall’s casa and THEN cook so it was a late dinner~

meal 4: chicken cacciatore on spinach & steamed veggies @ 9:00 PM

meals 295

i was a slacker and used this:

meals 293

it turned out super delicious though!

meals 298 meals 297

and that wraps up the eats of today. only 4 meals but my goal was to not use protein powder today and get all my protein from actual foooood:

• meal 1: cottage cheese & egg whites=25g
  • meal 2: turkey & flat out wrap=29g
  • meal 3: greek yogurt=22g
  • meal 4: chicken=30g

106 grams of quality protein today. not that protein from protein powder is not quality.. i just used it way too much yesterday so i wanted to counter balance it today. ja know?

ok! so i mentioned today had a perfect ending, didn’t i? here is why:

1. read the first half of my new issue of real simple~i have a subscription to oxygen and this.. i look forward to their arrival monthly :)

meals 299

2. watching season 3 of weeds right now

weeds3

3. these two are next to me:

and i saved the best for last…

4. marshall got me these new pumas because of the whole 2-years-since-mabes-died thing.. awe. he is a sweetheart.. he was there the night i found out, i would have died without his support. f’reals.

meals 308

cute!!!

ok so i partially think the only reason he got these for me was to feed his addiction to buying pumas. check out his collection.. all puma:

meals 300

the boy has a mild obsession.

well i am going to turn off the old laptop now.

i have LOTS of online catching up to do.. tomorrow will bring:

• replying to all the questions i have received this week on the blog, i haven’t forgotten!
  • conquering my ever-growing google reader, sorry i have been MIA

yep, a list with only two bullets.. but those two tasks alone should take a nice chunk of time. bear with me. or is it bare? i never know. also i never know if it is “donned on me” or “dawned on me” hmmmm…

Qs

1. what mag subscriptions do you have? or what is your favorite magazine? i already said up there, but i also like transworld snowboarding, shape and the good old cosmo.

2. do you collect anything? marshall “collects” pumas ;)

xo. janetha b.

Julia September 2, 2009 at 11:38 pm

I used to have a subscription to Real Simple, but it ran out sadly. I LOVE that magazine, it’s the only one I read regularly.
Aren’t hummus and veggie wraps amazing. I don’t know what I would do without them!
As for collecting things…Tyler and I have a pretty ridiculous collection of DVD’s, including a lot of seasons of different shows, Friends, House, Seinfeld, Simpsons, and now Weeds! I can’t wait to watch more of season 1 this weekend!

mayapamela September 2, 2009 at 11:47 pm

That Puma collection is seriously ridiculous! I love Weeds and that adorable Silas.

I love Vogue, Self, Bon Appetit for the Molly Wizenberg column with the occasional Vanity Fair thrown in!

Megan September 2, 2009 at 11:53 pm

hahaa the puma pic is hilarious!! i love it!

and i have a subscription to runner’s world and women’s health.. my 2 favorite magazines of ALL time. i save them for my boring elliptical and stationary bike rides though.. makes time go by so much faster!

Deb September 3, 2009 at 12:16 am

You’ll look like Kermit the frog with more lunches like that :-D

Deb September 3, 2009 at 12:18 am

PS. How many g of protein is the max that the body can absorb at once? I’ve looked but can’t find the answer definitively.

Mag subs: Oxygen, Clean Eating, Fitness (I don’t ever get to the last one). Then I buy Fitness Rx and M&F-Hers, and any oxygen special issue they may have. LOVE magazines!

Deb

insideiamdancing September 3, 2009 at 12:44 am

Glad your day ended so well! LOVE the Pumas! Where do you get maple almond butter? Sounds pretty amazing!

1. what mag subscriptions do you have? or what is your favorite magazine? I love Fitness and Shape…occasionally Cosmo or Glamour. My mom just gave me a copy of Clean Eating which I loved, and I like Woman’s Health and Oxygen. Also dance magazines :D

2. do you collect anything? Anything that is 50’s style American stuff… I am doig my kitchen up like an old-school diner :D I also collect postcards with inspirational quotes, and t-shirts with funny slogans :D

Tay September 3, 2009 at 1:09 am

LOL I always find it hilarious when guys have a shoe addiction. How nice of him though :-)

1. I love Runner’s World, Shape & Self. I also love Clean Eating and Rachel Ray. But I only have subscriptions to RW & Self.

2. Umm I collect polar bear stuff since it’s my fave animal! And pink & orange colored stuff for my room :-)

Tay September 3, 2009 at 1:10 am

omg and is that JUSTINS’ maple almond butter? woweeee best stuff. Addicted.

Lara (Thinspired) September 3, 2009 at 3:22 am

LOTS of greens today! :D
I love Real Simple. I had a subscription at like, 14, and I remember all of my friends teasing me. I don’t subscribe to any since I’m living abroad, but as soon as I get back, I’m sending in for: Real Simple, Clean Eating, and Women’s Health :)

Lauren September 3, 2009 at 5:03 am

Aww, bummer on the waffle flop, but at least it still tasted good.

Wow, dinner looks spectacular tonight!

Hmm, magazine sub. include mostly cooking magazines. (Cooking light, Foodnetwork, Food and Wine) but I also have Runners World and Self. I love magazines but I never know what to do with them when I’m done. I just can’t seem to part with them. ;)

Abby September 3, 2009 at 5:44 am

Ummm…perfect ending for sure! Purple is my favorite color ever, so the Pumas rock. As for magazines, I get Real Simple, Rachael Ray, ESPN and Sports Illustrated.

I also skim through the New Yorker for the cartoons, Vegetarian Times and all the other cooking magazines at the bookstore without having to buy them. (Plus my own, of course, but I’m sick of reading them by the time they come out.)

And people actually ask you to make them breakfast at work in the morning? For serious?

RunToFinish September 3, 2009 at 6:05 am

good call on making sure you get some protein from natural sources, I think it helps the body to provide different varities of nutrients!

i have long thought of subscribing to real simple, but just haven’t done it yet

ksgoodeats September 3, 2009 at 6:10 am

Viva Vanilla! I have a pair of Pumas and I adore them (despite the fact they gave me shin splints)! They’re much more stylish!

1. Subscribe to Vegetarian Times but buy Glamour and Clean Eating
2. I collect digits! ;) Just kidding!

Emily (The Experimentarian) September 3, 2009 at 6:15 am

Ok, seriously. My mail man steals my mail and this is just further proof! I can’t wait until we move and can work with a more ethical postal representative. I get Real Simple, too, and about 6 other magazines, but they are always suspiciously like 2 weeks late. Mutha-fer.

Allison September 3, 2009 at 6:24 am

Weeds is the BEST! love it! how sweet, those pumas are kick ass :)

hayleycepeda September 3, 2009 at 6:49 am

You must be a sleepyhead! I was tired just reading your post. Those Pumas are SOO COOL!! Marshall is so thoughtful…how nice. For some reason that Oikos/peach/almond butter mix looks extremely yummy today. I am hitting the store after work for sure.

You could tie in questions 1 & 2 together when I tell you how many magazines I subscribe to: People, Shape, Fitness, Men’s Health (that one was free, but there are lots of good exercises!), Oxygen and I used to get SELF (that was a bday gift). I’ve been subscribing to Fitness for so long that now it’s super cheap and Shape offered me a $12 sub for 12 months…so I couldn’t pass it up. I am a magaine JUNKIE! :) I love People and Oxygen.

I do collect thimbles from all the places I visit though. I have two thimble racks full. :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 3, 2009 at 6:51 am

I’m loving your Pumas!! I’ve never seen that specific color, but they look so cute! Love ’em!

1. I subscribe to Runners World and EatingWell…but I need to start getting Real Simple because I buy it off the shelves anyways. :D

Kristin September 3, 2009 at 7:04 am

Lots to say… hmm…

#1- LOVE the pumas! I have 2 pairs myself, but nothing as cool as those rockin’ purple ones ! I’m jealous!

Great job on getting your protein in without powder, and great job getting the workout in even though the enthusiasm was down!!

Chicken cacciatore looks fab, and even I (the chef-to-be) rely on canned sauces when theres a time crunch (aka I’m starving or lazy!)

And les questiones…
1. I subscribe to Self, Women’s Health, Fitness, Cosmo and C00king Light. But I LOVE Oxygen as well and want a subscription!!

2. I collect shot glasses- I have them from all over the country/world! All my friends & fam buy them for me wherever they go. I have some pretty darn cool ones!

Have a great day!

xo
K

Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) September 3, 2009 at 7:09 am

Okay, so I don’t even like greek yogurt but somehow you always make it look delicious. I may have to give it another chance because I am always so jealous of your great yogurt concoctions! : )

april September 3, 2009 at 7:11 am

Oh my gosh that’s a lot of pumas!!

My favorite magazines are probably Oxygen, Women’s Health, and Shape!

Graze With Me September 3, 2009 at 7:57 am

Lol, “crunchy nuggets”…

I’m a grammar nerd so it’s “bear with me” and “dawned on me”. You asked! :)

Marshall’s shoe collection cracks me up!! Dave has 4 pairs of shoes. And two of those pairs are exactly the same brand/color.

1) I love Shape, Self and People. I don’t have any subsciptions personally but my mom signed me up for Taste of Home and Simple and Delicious cooking mags when I moved out 6 years ago and I still get them…

2) I used to collect chapstick and those little sand-filled cloth creatures (lizards, crabs, frogs…). I don’t really collect anything now. Dave collects cars….he has 6 and is currently pursuing his “Used Car Dealer’s License” so he can go to auctions and legally sell them.

Andrea@WellnessNotes September 3, 2009 at 8:33 am

I love Trader Joe’s simmer sauces for those days when I have no idea what’s for dinner or just want something quick & easy! :)

Love your Pumas! And I love Marshall’s Puma collection! ;)

I am taking a magazine break right now. I used to read Shape, Self & Fitness.

Holly September 3, 2009 at 8:40 am

janetha my love…uber good day of eats. loving all that natural protein goodness, esp that yog mess. mmmmm i need to restock on the Greek – my wallet hates it but my tastebuds can’t live without it!

i believe it’s “dawned on me.” i was a journalism major, so i hope that is right.

ugh…debating over foodbuzz in san fran. will get back to you.

my fave mags: shape, people, us weekly, ladies home journal, real simple, economist.

i used to collect trolls. no lie.

Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate September 3, 2009 at 8:44 am

Your waffle looks good even if it’s a little torn up!

Those pumas are super cute! What a sweet gift!

I don’t have any magazine subscriptions right now but I pick them up occasionally. I like real simple and Cosmo.

I don’t collect anything. I have a ton of t-shirts so maybe that counts?

balancejoyanddelicias September 3, 2009 at 9:05 am

woooooooo!!! that’s a really big collection of pumas!!! How often do you get use each of them?

I like to buy mugs from countries/cities that I go and display them.

I have subscription to fitness/health/self/real simple and some others that I can’t remember now! :)

Sarah September 3, 2009 at 9:12 am

The waffle looks like it worked out okay, even if it was a bit beaten up… I would eat it anyways, too :)

I have subscriptions to Shape, RollingStone, and Cooking Light. I like Self and Bust a lot, too. And the occasional Cosmo doesn’t hurt…

Therese September 3, 2009 at 9:18 am

Random Question: Do you ever feel weird dropping down at the gym doing a plank or crunch next to the machines? I’ve always wanted to do this but I’m too chicken…

Anyway I feel like I rely on powdered protein too much as well at times…good to know it can be done lol!

Danica September 3, 2009 at 9:19 am

Fantastic job for not having alot of energy – LOVE the workout and your dinner looks amazing.

I actually saw the Somersaults at Whole Foods the other day – first time I’ve ever seen them.

Marshal has a TON of shoes LOL….I thought my husband had alot :D LOVE how the puppy is resting with him.

Yeah for new magazines – LOVE REAL Simple too!

tessa September 3, 2009 at 9:45 am

hey woman!
i’m truly sorry about the pups. that’s sweet of the bf to get some fly kicks!

i wannnt that yogurt mess right huur, right now. that’s a shit ton o’ protein, i feel like i slack on that. mad props.
oh and doesn’t watching weeds always make you feel better?!

Sarah September 3, 2009 at 10:10 am

Oops! I forgot my collections. (I write them for you because I know you could not live without knowing!!)
Armadillo anything. My newest acquisition is an armadillo ring. Balla! I also have a purse made out of an armadillo. No lie.

When I was little, I used to collect soda cans from other coutnries, trolls, and My Little Ponies. And Beanie Babies. I had approximately twenty gazillion and four.

Emily September 3, 2009 at 10:44 am

I think Marshall has more shoes than me!

I know peaches are your fave- have you seen/tried o’henry peaches? I got some yesterday; they are amazing! had never heard of them before.

1. my dad has always gotten me a subscription to sports illustrated! I love it for that reason. me & hub also get rolling stone, a bicycle mag, a climbing mag, but I don’t remember ever subscribing to any of them.

2. I’m not a collector. clutter gives me anxiety; I just don’t like to keep things!

hope you get a break soon!

Alison September 3, 2009 at 11:01 am

That a mad crazy Puma collection! I love the ones he bought you though, that’s a great combo!

And I think it’s “dawned on me” too.

OMG I made waffles for the girls yesterday and had no idea it was Waffle Wednesday. GO ME!

I have a couple of mag subscriptions but my favs are Runner’s World and Vegetarian Times.

I don’t collect anything but posts in google reader! They keep piling up!

Susan September 3, 2009 at 11:29 am

I think your waffle fail still looks delicious! They look like little waffle bites!

Bahaha at that shoe collection. Boys are so funny. Chris pretends to be all macho, but he’s SO into cycling fashion, way more than I’ll ever be.

1. I have a subscription to Maclean’s, which is sort of like the Canadian version of Newsweek or Time (I’m a total news junkie). I also buy Runner’s World, Bicycling, Canadian Running and Triathlete magazines regularly. I should probably look into subscriptions on some of those to save moulah…

2. I collect elephant statues/figurines. They’re my favourite animal. I’ve been collecting them for years and have ones from all over the world. My favourite is an ivory one because it’s just like the one in The Secret Garden :)

jenngirl September 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I am the same way with my strength workouts sometimes…and somedays we DON’T need to wear the HR monitor, just go in there and tone! No biggie ;)

1. Cosmo, Glamour, Self and Women’s Health to name a few…

2. Unless we can consider my Google Reader a blog collection, then nope. But wow, I am jealous of your cute new Pumas, AND Marshall’s badass collection!

Angharad (Eating for England) September 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I believe it is “dawned on me”. Let’s see now. Waffles. I made some this morning! Out of a packet though so a semi-fail. But delicious!
Mmm that wrap and yogurt mess look hot. And your dinner looks bomb! Sometimes out of a jar the lazy way is awesome. You know it’s gonna taste good.
Real Simple sounds good. Maybe I should pick me up a copy of that. I KNOW Weeds is good. Don’t think I’ve mentioned that before…Dan and I were obsessed for a while. Then we found The Wire and lost like ten months of our lives :)
Marshall – what a sweetie pie for buying you shoes…the way to a girl’s heart.
1) I only have one that Dan’s dad got me and I LOVE with all my heart – Granta. It’s a British-published literary periodical which sounds stuffy and hoity-toity but it just has really amazing new writing and essays etc in it. I seriously am so happy when it arrives!
2) No. Do mason jars count? I kind of collect them but only for storage purposes :)

Love you!!

lowandbhold September 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Yuck, sorry for the off day. I hate those weeks where it seems like you’re always two steps behind. Luckily the weekend is upon us! Sounds like you deserve it.

The shoes are so cute, even if they were a means to feed his addiction haha. What a sweetie. And those two always look so cute all cuddled up like that.

1. I just let all my subscriptions run out. Haven’t really been reading that many mags lately.
2. Umm. I used to collect shoes and purses until I went broke, haha!

Tina September 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Green is good!

I’m subscribed to cosmo :D

And I don’t really collect things… uhm, perhaps dining experiences? :P If that counts…

If I were to collect shoes though, I think I’d be more of a ballerina girl… or all-stars..
Then again, if I’m completely honest; I do feel a vintage-thing coming on to me.. I’ve bought a couple of really adorable skirts from some vintage webshops!

Have nice day, sweetiexxx

April September 3, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Great eats! Way to get the protein in there :)

Oxygen mag is my fave, and I collect all things frog.

Is there such thing as a PA(Puma’s anonymous)?

Michelle September 3, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Love the Pumas!! I wore purple shoes today too, but they were not Pumas.

I have a subscription to Runners World because I am obsessed with reading about running things.
I don’t think I really collect anything anymore… except maybe dust sometimes because I hate cleaning.

Erika September 3, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Um, I think I collect magazines! Ready? People, US Weekly, Rolling Stone, Real Simple, Cooking Light and Cuisine! I used to love to read books but I find mags easier now.

Becky September 3, 2009 at 6:34 pm

The pumas are super cute! That’s so funny that you make your co-workers breakfast, I’d be askin’ for tips ;)
1. Oxygen, Clean Eating, and some that I haven’t paid for but they keep sending me: Shape, Self, Glamour
2. I don’t really collect anything….I used to be all about hippie-type skirts but I’m out of that phase…

Katharina September 3, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Waffles! I seriously want to make some. I even made it my facebook status the other day lol.

1. I don’t have any, but my mom subscribes to Prevention lol. Maybe that’s why I know all these random health and nutrition things. Oh yeah also because my dad has an infinite knowledge database in his brain and he knows everything about every freaking thing. But I do go to B&N to look through my favorite mags like Allure, Gourmet, VegLife, and various decorating ones.

2. I collect things from monumental nights

Jenny September 3, 2009 at 6:39 pm

vanilla wins?! this can’t be! i demand I re-vote :(

haha I love that your boy offish has more shoes than me.. what a dude!

1. just people – though i often times buy the trashy ones in the grocery store.. I swear, they get me everytime!

2. does peanut butter count?

Meredith September 3, 2009 at 7:17 pm

That’s a good looking waffle! I was so tempted to buy a $7 waffle maker when I was at Target today, but I resisted!
1.) Self magazine! I also get the American Dietetic Association Journal.
2.) I don’t know that I have any collections.

Erin September 3, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I’m sorry you’ve had a stressful week honey.

Omagah at Marshall’s PUMAs! I’ve never seen anything like it.

Totally in love with the pup in his arms. To-Ta-Ly.

I collect nothing. I’m a thrower-awayer. And I subscribe to Real Simple and Cooking Light, at the moment.

mom September 3, 2009 at 8:58 pm

LOVE Marshall’s Puma collection, boy can I relate to that “shoe collection” thing!! But I WANT those darling purple Puma’s – Marshall is the BEST!!! :) That Peeps loves her dad!!! I love you xoxo.

Kristie September 3, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I only subscribe to Fitness. I wish I subscribed to way more but I know they would just pile up and take me forever to get through, especially once school starts up again… eeks.

As for collections, I don’t really do any now but I still have my old stamp and pog collection from when I was quite a bit younger. And my *cough*pokemoncards*cough* Ouch.

WholeBodyLove September 3, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Due to budget cuts, I don’t subscribe to anything anymore :( I do love Oxygen magazine and Eating Clean magazine (or was it Clean Eating?) I collect healthy blogger recipes!

buffmuffy September 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm

lol love your pumas they are sooo cute!
his collection is impressive :) reminds me of my shoe collection!
1. oh fitness mags and cosmo and such. i like fitness and women’s health.
2. shoes… yeah. i dunno what else lol.
-muffy

snackface September 7, 2009 at 11:09 pm

JANETHA!!! OK, so I did a technology detox for a few days and just now caught up with your life. I’m commenting on this one because I read them in reverse, or really, the order they’re in on the page. But that’s of no matter.

But I also LOVE what’s going on in this post. First about the nut “milks.” I once had a boyfriend not so long ago who thought it should be called almond juice and soy juice because I guess milk is from mammals and juice is from plants? Kind of makes sense.

And you have all of my favorite things in this post! Magazines, Weeds, shoes and a cute puppy+Marshall pic. Penelope is so freaking adorable I can’t take it.

My bro is the same way with Nikes. It’s ridiculous. When he starts making money he is going to have more shoes than I do, fa sho.

1. I read the following every month: VegNews (obvs), Glamour, Vogue, Food+Wine, Travel+Leisure, Real Simple. And Vanity Fair is really starting to call my name. And I have to at least look through W every month. And I have to look through any magazine that’s in front of me ever. Esquire is also a brilliantly designed magazine, so I’m contemplating buying it regularly. Can you tell I’m a magazine journalism major?

2- This actually goes with number one and comes as no surprise. I collect magazines. I can’t throw them away. I don’t mean to collect them, but they’re too beautiful and full of info and gorgeousness to throw away.

I feel much better now that I know what’s going on in your life, although I’m concerned that you’re not in a super fab mood tonight. I hope everything is OK!

P.S. I totes went to text you something the other day and was like, well shit, I don’t have her number.