i am a word geek.

by Janetha on August 13, 2009

in meals,moves

good evening to you guys! TGIAF!  another acronym for you.  i actually didn’t realize it but i use acronyms more than i thought.  in my last post alone i had at least 3 and my girls angharad and muffy pointed out that they had no clue as to what i was talking about.  for all you guys know i just have some random obsession with typing weird combinations of letters in all caps.  i promise there is meaning to the madness!  so sorry if you don’t understand me sometimes, just ask, i am bound to tell you.  or you can google it, right? gots to love technology.

oh and i am surprised none of you were caught off guard by my palindrome in the last post (go hang a salami, im a lasagna hog)~did you all just think i was babbling about my obsession with italian cuisine? although i do love a nice plate of steamy lasagna, i merely mentioned that phrase because i have a never ending love for palindromes.  some other faves of mine include “murder for a jar of red rum” and “yo banana boy” and “dr awkward”~ i am certain i have talked about this before, but probably before anyone even read this blog of mine. and now i probably just lost a whole bunch of readers because you all think i am clinically insane.

oh! answers to yesterday’s questions rocked my face off.  so many of you are multilingual! i am sooo impressed, smart ladies :D

also it was fun to read what piece of gym equipment you would want in your home, lots of you want ellipticals!  but the winners for best answers were jenny who wants a yoga machine and coco who wants a machine that morphs into every piece of weight equipment.  geniuses i tell you!

should we talk about food now?

oh wow! my first time recapping a WHOLE DAY from start to finish! this should be nice. no wondering where i left off or where to pick back up or worrying if i left anything out.  i am giddy at the thought.  ok, maybe not that excited, but it is legit. too legit to quit.

hey heeeey.

meals_thumb

meal 1: protein oats @ 10:00 AM<—omfg. (another acronym..)

ten? why did i eat so late? well me and momma b were at a mega sale this morning! the doors of marine sports products opened at 8 AM and we were in the commotion of it all so my mom could purchase a baller new wakeboard!  yes, she is just that hard core.  and it just so happens i am her same size, convenient, no? i also snagged a billabong skirt, volcom shorts and a rvca tshirt all for 50% off. well worth the delayed breakfast.

although i read on olga’s blog yesterday that you are 43% more likely to become obese if you wait 3 hours to eat after waking up (and i woke up at 7 today) criminey!  never again will i wait so long to eat breakfast, you have my word.

BUT let me tell you how i made my oats! i used lainie’s method i saw the other day~use two whole cups of water for just my usual 1/3 cup oats.  okay, this took a century and a half.  i mixed the oats and the water, turned the stove on high until the water overflowed it came to a boil and then let it simmer for what seemed like a lifetime.  once the water was almost all soaked up in the creamy pool of oats i stirred in a scoop of protein powder and took them off the heat.  holy volume!  this made my usual little bowl of oats at least double in size but for the same exact amount of calories.  well worth the time it took.
topped it with some (ok, half a bottle) of cinnamon and a squirt of agave and i was in business. so dang creamy.

meal 2: fish taco & fruit @ 1:30

sooo because of the late bfast i didn’t have my lunch until 1:30 today but when i had it i fell in love with TJ’s peach salsa all over again.  it has been awhile since i have had it due to my lack of a trader joe’s in utah but whenever i have the chance to go to one i snag this salsa.  buy it, i dare you.

i used my almond & panko crusted salmon leftovers from last night to make the taco.

step 1: lay down broccoli slaw on don pancho high fiber low carb tortilla

step 2: add leftover salmon

step 3: douse in salsa

step 4: eat

my boss got an edible arrangement for his birthday so i was a sneak and stole some.  although my tortilla was technically considered my carb for this meal, it only has 10g so i figured a little fresh fruit would do no harm.

is that kale i see in the middle of the arrangement? maybe i should have stolen that too. i guarantee you it will not get eaten.  bet you a million and a half.

pretty fruit.

so i loved how i took my italian~ish meal from last night (the fish had italian seasonings on it) and turned the leftovers into a mexican inspired lunch.  this was delicious and creative. toot toot, yes, i am tooting my own horn here.

by the time i left work i had downed 96 ounces of water and usually i would have had 3 meals down the hatch, but since my timing was way skewed today it didn’t work out that way.  i had HIIT scheduled and i do not like to do HIIT right after eating.  since my meal time would have landed at 4:30 and i was off work at 5, i decided to wait until after my workout to eat.

i did have a calcium chew and a few spears of asparagus along with a handful of almonds en route to the gym.

moves_thumb

same exact HIIT as tuesday!

except i maxed out at a higher speed, 10.0 MPH.

• 1 min @ 5.0 (warmup)
  • 1 min @ 5.5 (warmup)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.5 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.0 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.5 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.6 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.2 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.8 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.7 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.4 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 8.1 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.8 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.4 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 8.3 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 10.0  (level “10” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 2.0 (cool down)

the end.

stats~ duration=20:50, max HR=186, ave HR=152, calories=156

meals_thumb

meal 3: zucchini and squash “pasta” with ground turkey marinara @ 7 PM

to whip the sauce up i used 1 lb. italian seasoned ground turkey, 1/2 a red onion, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 14 oz can of no salt added diced tomatoes and a little can of tomato paste.  a little fresh ground black pepper and some Mrs. D and i called it good!

for the “pasta” i grated a zucchini and a squash and then microwaved the combo for 2 minutes~easy peasy.

such a good dinner! it was funny, i made this at my mom’s because my sister and her family are in town. they all snagged dinner from a burger joint but as i was cooking, not one, not two, not three but FOUR of my family members came in the kitchen and said, “crap i wish i had known you were going to cook dinner!”

i had some blurry grapes for dessert~this times like.. five.

then it was hang time with the fam! oh and since marshall and i live so far apart and don’t see each other every day, i don’t always see my dogs. technically, penelope is my dog and randy is his dog~but the two of them hate to be separated so we keep them together. consequently, i haven’t seen the puppers since monday! :( but we were reunited tonight! here are a few photos so you dog lovers can get your pooch photo fill..

my sister got the dopest new camera. jealous.

well eating late today has thrown my whole schedule out of whack! i did eat a bigger portion of dinner since i only fit 3 meals in today and i probably will have some greek yogurt before bed. for now, marshall and i are watching season 2 of weeds.

oh and i finished my gallon of water. that is at least 6 gallons in 6 days!

friday tomorrow! finally, this has been a long week.  does anyone else feel that way?

P.S. my friend’s facebook status tonight was SHIT<—acronym that he elaborated on: So Happy It’s Thursday!  that is a new one.

1. are there any leftovers you morph into something different than what they were originally? i loved doing this with my lunch~it was the same food but tasted totally different and i would love more ideas!

2. how long are you awake before you eat breakfast usually? most of the time i eat when i get to work which is one hour after i wake up. yes, i get ready quick!

3. if you are a huge nerd like me and have any favorite acronyms or palindromes, do share :P

xo. janetha b.

Katharina August 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm

1. Yes! I did that today actually :D

2. Umm… depending on the time I wake up because I usually get hungry around 9. So usually like an hour or so.

3. racecar hehee

Maya August 14, 2009 at 2:48 am

Definitely love to morph leftovers! I like the culinary challenge haha.

I’m a huge word geek too. I may or may not sometimes drop words that make my friends to “say whatttt?

Alison August 14, 2009 at 4:18 am

My fav palindrome would of course be AVA – who has luck would have it was born at 7:47!

I usually wait til I’m hungry to eat breakfast, which doesn’t take long! Interesting statistic.

Kristin August 14, 2009 at 6:29 am

Insane, maybe, but also incredibly entertaining. jk!
but seriously, your posts always make me laugh =)

Ok, food-wise- LOVE edible arrangements, my mom got me one for my HS grad a few years back and it was probably the best present I recieved (and I got a laptop that year, hehe)

Fish tacos rock my socks off as well. Peach salsa sounds divine right about now!

The turkey pasta sauce looks yummy as well… damn I am so hungry now!!

As for your Q’s…
I love making a protein for dinner, like chicken or fish and making it into a wrap, salad or a sammie the next day! I also make loads of soup or chili so I can have leftovers for lunches/future “frozen dinners”

I usually very soon after I wake, around 1/2 an hour- right after my morning run

I love hearing about palindromes but I don’t know any more than you’ve mentioned…. but omg I use acronyms all the time! hehe

Have a great Friday!

xo
K

lookingforserenity August 14, 2009 at 7:12 am

I eat breakfast RIGHT after I get up! My tummy can’t wait !

Therese August 14, 2009 at 7:18 am

Aww so sad you don’t get to see the cute fur-babies everyday (and your boyfriend)…love their little faces!!

I need to try that grated zucchini and squash idea. I see spirilized veggies around the blog world and I am uber jealous, but that looks just as good!

1) I usually could for just myself because they hubs isn’t into my “bird food” (yet…I will convince him one of these days) so I generally just cook enough for that meal

2) My routine goes like this: wake up, shower, make lunch and snacks for work, then eat breakfast….so like 30-45 minutes?

Anne K. August 14, 2009 at 7:19 am

ahaha I love the palindrome sentences! Too fun. Your protein oats look really good! I looove edible arrangements! My mom got me one for my birthday, and the fruit is so good. I love that they’re pretty, too :D The doggies are so cute!

1) Mmm, sometimes I’ll put leftovers on salad, or use them in wraps. Like fish, or a grain mix or something.

2) about 30 minutes

3) i like palindromes, but I hadn’t known about the palindrome sentences before! I love dr awkward :D

ksgoodeats August 14, 2009 at 8:50 am

2. I eat breakfast within 20 minutes of waking up!

3. RACECAR!!

I don’t wake board but I do know that a sale on that stuff is a sale you MUST go to! I’m a sucker for fruit (pineapple and honey dew, hello!) and cute food so I probably would have just stolen the whole EA :D

So glad you were reunited with the puppers! SHIT? I love it!

Emily August 14, 2009 at 9:07 am

I’m a total word nerd too. Cause or effect of years of studying latin and ancient greek, I don’t know.

1. I’m bad with leftovers. Generally my steeze is put it on a salad. Or feed to the hub.

2. I wake, run (1 hr- 1 1/2 hrs), shower (15 min), primp (um, like 5 min; I’m easy breezy!), eat. So, maybe almost 2 hours, usually?

3. Hm, how bout another palindrome: dog sex, even if fine, vexes god.

Lainie August 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

OMG!!! Doggies…so freaking cute! You are too funny with your words…I love all the random sayings you have :)

Interesting tip about the breakfast (how you’re more likely to be obese if you wait 3 hrs after waking). So I have to stop typing…because I have to go eat, like, now. Yikes.

Susan August 14, 2009 at 9:49 am

As always, I’m oooh-ing and aww-ing over your dog pics, and completely jealous of your cutie pies!

1. My favourite is taking soup or chili leftovers and cooking it with quinoa, sometimes stuffing random vegetables with the mix.

2. Approximately 10-15 seconds. I would never make it to an hour let alone THREE!

3. No, but Dr. Awkard is awesome!!!

Angharad August 14, 2009 at 9:58 am

Heyyy girlie girl,
Your pooches are so pretty. The end.
Okay, not the end of my commenting though!
That peach salsa looks like something I should snatch up! I want to try the zucchini/squash ‘pasta’ too! Looks so good and easy. Easy is my friend.

1) Meh, I’m not that exciting but leftover bolognaise in a pita with some feta cheese is delish and turns Italian into a hot Greek mess!
2) Oh god. I eat straight away. Like, within 20-3 minutes otherwise my stomach sends a message to my brain to flip the bitch switch and all hell breaks loose. I guess on the weekends it tends to be MUCH longer but I normally drink tea and such to keep me going.
3) I think we all know now that I am a bit of a simpleton with the anacronyms.

Megan August 14, 2009 at 10:02 am

Totally LOVE edible arrangements! And yes you totally should have stole that kale.. I had no idea they used kale in those!

And surprisingly today I didn’t eat breakfast until 11am.. that’s what happens when you wake up at 8am and decide to go back to sleep ;)

Jenny August 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

i like to think of myself as tech savvy when it comes to the online lingo — i have been known to shorten words (and piss people off) in real life conversation. True story: just this morning I said to my pops “I def. want to go to Florida in Dec” to which he responded by just shaking his head in disgrace.. ah well :)

lowandbhold August 14, 2009 at 11:18 am

Great idea on the oats!

1. Recreating leftovers is one of my fave pastimes. Does that make me a leftover nerd?
2. I’m the same as you. I get up get ready, make a smoothie, and eat it right when I get to work an hour later.
3. I don’t have any faves but have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible? One of the sister talks in palindromes a lot and it’s super interesting the way the author does it.

carolinebee August 14, 2009 at 11:41 am

i eat breakfast super soon too, right after coffee time :D

Julie August 14, 2009 at 11:48 am

1. salsa makes EVERYTHING better.
2. I MUST try protein oats.
3. sales rock my socks off and are worth pushing back breakfast. If it was me though I would have been a hangry biotch and murdered other shoppers who got in my way.
4. edible arrangements is the most romantic thing ever.

none of those are what you requested but I wanted to share them anyways.

Tiffany S. August 14, 2009 at 11:59 am

Your palindrome from yesterday AND today were awesome…so sorry not to have given them the proper gushing they deserved.

I couldn’t believe you flower cut your pineapple until I saw that it was pilfered from an arrangement – hilarious (and yes, I would have taken the kale).

kristi (sweet cheeks) August 14, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I totalllly need to try that peach salsa. Sounds SO GOOD!

And I am definitely going to try adding 2 cups of water for my oats. The more volume the better!!

I love using leftovers for lunches the next day…I’m already thinking up ideas for tomorrow’s lunch based on tonight’s planned dinner. Mmmmm!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) August 14, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I have to eat *right* when I get up. I pretty much roll into the kitchen as soon as I wake up, and guzzle water to satisfy while breakfast is in the making. I’m always hungry in the morning. :D

I absolutely LOVE the idea of your fish taco!! Sounds amazing! Oh, and those fruit arrangements are so fun. :D

burpexcuzme August 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I didn’t know abt the 3 hour thing…I think I eat about 2-3 hours after I wake up…I can’t eat anything anytime before that!
And hahaha! SHIT! I like that!

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 14, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I saw Lainie’s method of making oats on her blog, and I was going to try it, but you beat me to it! I’ll try it soon though! :)

Your acronyms are so funny. I don’t use a lot of acronyms and usually have a hard time figuring them out… My hubby loves them though (and the look on my face when I can’t figure them out…).

I usually eat breakfast pretty soon after waking up, maybe within 30 minutes. But if I’m not very hungry, or on weekends, it sometimes ends up being a few hours…

I love morphing leftovers into something new. I love turning grilled chicken into chicken salad sandwiches the next day.

WholeBodyLove August 14, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I have issues with waiting too long after rising to eat breakfast. By the time I get ready, pack my lunch and get Snuffy ready while letting the dogs out…time gets crrrrrunched!

Lara (Thinspired) August 15, 2009 at 3:43 am

Ok, I am in LOVE with that peach salsa from TJ’s. I bet that fish taco was the BOMB!
I eat breakfast probably within an hour of waking. Coffee buys me some time if I have to get ready first ;)

buffmuffy August 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm

lol j girl i often dont have time to google, and then i forget because i cant remember anything nowadays! I love you though, and i love your word nerdiness even if you are insane!
hey at least i know tons of them, not just the crazy ones you make up (lol). I make up mine all the time and I dont know if anyone would get them … atm is one …
give me credit tho girl i know what omfg is LOL :) i played WoW for so long that I know many, just not these TWSS crazy things you say lol lol lol :)
I love learning new things like that tho … and then having people look at you crazy when you say them irl (in real life).
haha.
i love the pineapple flower!

i think i have the same cam as your sis … i loves it!

1. cold pizza! oh wait …
2. maybe an hour. i try to eat it fast but i normally check my internetz first. 2 for school days sometimes bc i have to get ready.
3. ummmm see above? LOL.
bc, atm, irl, omg, rofl (obvi), brb, jw, bio (bathroom break – dont ask), omgwtfdairyqueenbbq (…wait what?)

Anyway. That is enough fun for now.