a new tradition.

by Janetha on August 12, 2009

in meals,moves

top o the morning to you!  so i am slowly trying to rearrange my posting so i can just post one day at a time with ALL 5/6 meals in the post and my workout for that day.  but honestly i am on no normal schedule with anything let alone my blog posting, so we will see how it turns out!

thanks for the compliments on the last post, you guys are sweeties, and apparently i look real good when posing with a protein shake so i am going to carry one with me at all times from now on ;)

i have a busy day here at the office so in the interest of time, let me dig right into the eats!

TUESDAY!

i left you guys after my lunch, which was a little late at 2 pm.  i am still trying to get back onto the eating every 3 hours schedule but sometimes work makes that tricky.

at 5 i did manage to whip up my snack before heading home from work~i stayed late yesterday to decorate my boss’ office since today is his birthday! balloons, banners, gifts.. the whole 9 yards (another one of those weird sayings that make no sense at all!)

meals

meal 3 @ 5 PM: 2 wasa crackers, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 slice turkey, black pepper

this snack clocks in at 230 calories, 25g carbs, 26g protein and 3g fat.  PERFECTO. and delicious.

i went home an immediately changed for the gym.  i had to hurry and do so or i knew the velour couch would suck me in for all eternity and my HIIT would not get done.  i changed and drove to the gym~giddy that my newest issue of oxygen magazine had come in the mail!  best magazine ever.

moves

my HIIT yesterday was on the treadmill and instead of increasing the incline this time i did something i have done before and at each new interval i increased the speed between each minute:

• 1 min @ 5.0 (warmup)
  • 1 min @ 5.5 (warmup)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.5 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.0 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.5 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.6 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.2 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.8 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.7 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.4 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 8.1 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.0 (level “6” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 6.8 (level “7” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 7.4 (level “8” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 8.3 (level “9” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 9.5 (level “10” RPE)
  • 1 min @ 2.0 (cool down)

do you guys know about your RPE??  this is your rate of perceived exertion and it is crucial in HIIT.  a level 1 on the RPE scale would be sitting on the couch watching TV.  a level 5 would be walking up some stairs.  a level 10 means you are giving it everything you’ve got and there is no way you could do anything (like talk, check your watch, etc) except that physical activity~in my case, running.  level 10 is epic for me.. i have to psyche myself up for it usually.. i put on the same song every single time during that one minute of level 10.  i talk myself through the minute, saying “OK janetha, 30 more seconds”.. and at the end of the minute i let out a big sigh and everyone at the gym looks at me like i have 3 heads.  and i don’t care because i am there to push myself as hard as i can, not to impress them.

i love hitting my 10!

after my HIIT i rode on the stationary bike for 20 minutes casually and started reading my oxygen mag.  such a good issue!  i will include some bits and pieces of it in some of my upcoming posts, but there is A LOT about mixing things up, breaking through a routine where youa ren’t seeing results and changing the way you do things. wow, was it written specifically for me?

stats: duration=41:52, max HR=184, ave HR=148, calories=312

after the gym i wanted to eat my arm so i munched on some almonds i had in my automobile~

i swung by barnes & noble and snagged some gifts for the boss (along with a cool book on london for myself, i couldn’t resist, i miss it so)

meals

and came home to make dinner!

meal 4: flat out+tuna salad (broccoli slaw, cottage cheese, annie’s mustard)+sprouts @ 8 PM

IMG_3289 IMG_3284

this tuna is where it’s at.  100 calories, 20g’s of protein.. i am all about the albacore.

the more sprouts, the better.

i then allowed myself to get sucked into the velour couch, turned out america’s got talent and spent the rest of the night lurking on your lives. no shame.

before bed i had a lovely little snack, meal 5: 5.3 oz oikos+small peach+cinnnnnamon+squirt of agave @ 11 PM

i also ended the night with 160 oz of water, 3 calcium chews, 2 doses of CLA, fish oil & multivitamin.. yes, got it all in! (TWSS)

WEDNESDAY!

i had to snag two dozen fresh donuts this morning for the boss since it is his birthday and all.  i don’t LOVE donuts but the smell of hundreds of freshly baked donuts in the morning infused with the aroma of steamy coffee really does a number on my nose.

i resisted the temptation of the sugary devil in the form of a donut and went for what i had planned for my breakfast, a protein waffle!

susan has dubbed every wednesday waffle wednesday and so i had to celebrate.  i think i will make it a tradition!

meals

meal 1: protein waffle + PB2 @ 8:30 AM

i find it amazing that this:

can so quickly and easily turn into this:

i would like to thank the little people appliances.. thank you magic bullet and waffle iron for making waffle wednesday a success!

i need more coffee.

okay, i am not rambling much in this one since i have work to do.. i do have a few points worth mentioning :)

• booked my flights (for me and marshall) to seattle! we are going on september 17th to a friend’s wedding, not sure if i mentioned that yet.  i haven;t flown anywhere since mexico in april so i am stoked.  airplane tickets=adventures.
  • as tall as lions & dredg tonight! hooray, haven’t been to a show since isis.
  • tomorrow is national filet mignon day for all you carnivores out there.

Q’s!

1. where is the first place you traveled to on an airplane? how old were you? i went to disneyland in 6th grade. before that we drove on ALL our fam vacations!

2. favorite appliance?

Angharad August 12, 2009 at 9:59 am

Hey girl! I’m so happy that you are planning on daily posts! I love your gigantor recaps but I also miss you when you’re gone :(

Way to avoid the donuts – I find that SO HARD at work especially. The tuna wrap looks good – you’ve reminded me I haven’t eaten that stuff in forever. The boy complains it smells like cat food and makes him wanna puke so I tend to avoid it…

Oikos cinnamon love looks goooood. Want some.

1) I didn’t fly anywhere til I was 12 and went on a school trip to Italy – I was way over excited! When I was little we used to sail to France/Netherlands every summer :D Happy memories. YAY for booking your flights = super exciting!

2) I don’t own appliances. Seriously. None :(

Check ya later!! xx

Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate August 12, 2009 at 10:10 am

That tuna wrap looks amazing! Waffle Wednesday sounds like a great tradition to me!

I think the first place I went on an airplane was New Jersey. I don’t know exactly how old I was but I know I was under a year.

My favorite appliance is either my Magic Bullet or my Kitchen Aid mixer. I love them both equally.

Danielle C. August 12, 2009 at 10:12 am

I love a good HIIT workout as well. :) Oxygen is such a great magazine.

adayinthelifeofc August 12, 2009 at 10:15 am

i am also at work and super busy (obviously not too busy to check my reader!) but just had to comment– totally blew my mind.

Yesterday I booked my flight for me and my roomie to go to Seattle on Sept 17 too!

Totally tripped me out (my fav saying!).

ok back to work- have a great day!

Alison August 12, 2009 at 10:17 am

Hey your Chicken of the Sea expires on my birthday! WOOT!

First place on airplane was DW in 5th grade! So close to matching your experience!

Fav appliance? Probably the food processor but the juicer is close behind.

Lainie August 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

Can I just say I think you are one of my all-time favorite bloggers?! You are always so funny, and the comments you leave are always so sincere and thoughtful – love it!

My favorite appliance is, hands down, my food processor. Love that bitch.

Anna August 12, 2009 at 10:30 am

What song is it that you listen to during your minute at level 10? Just curious!

Graze With Me August 12, 2009 at 10:32 am

I am making that waffle!!! YUM! I love that u magic bulleted it too, I will do that as well. I hope you see imitation as a form of flattery!

1. I was like 6 months old my first time on a plane, don’t remember to where. We flew all over the place when I was growing up and I’ve always loved airplanes.

2. I would go insane without my blender. Especially in summer, I use it daily.

have a great day!

buffmuffy August 12, 2009 at 10:41 am

mmm cottage cheese sammich :)
beautiful pic of the almonds! though an eaten arm might have done the trick, it wouldnt have had enough healthy fats in it. mostly protein and such. good choice with the almonds instead. lol!
1. my first airplane ride was to washington dc with my grandpa, grandma, and cousin. it was so fun!
2. fave appliance … do i have to own it? bc … i would have to say that I love my blender but i wish it was a vitamix. and i wish i had a breville juicer. wahhh!!! :( lol!
-muffy

Michelle August 12, 2009 at 10:50 am

Nice job resisting those donuts! I’ve never been a huge fan of them either to be honest. But the smell…to die for! Sounds like you’re right on track with the meals…good for you!! That waffle looks mouth wateringly good (especially bc it’s almost lunchtime and I”m hungry LOL)

1. My first (and only as of yet!) time on an airplane was in the 7th grade for a family trip to DisneyWorld! I had an amazing time, but I think I’d appreciate any sort of vacation much more now that I work all the time! :)

2. My favorite appliance…definitely my blender!!

Becky August 12, 2009 at 11:06 am

Yes, post everyday so I can keep stalking your blog :) I love Oxygen mag too! Just the pics get me motivated to work out. I am too adjusting to the small 5-6 meals a day. It is hard to do at work! The protein waffle looks yummmmy. Can’t wait to keep reading, you’re doing awesome!

julie August 12, 2009 at 11:36 am

hellllz yeaah 10 is a sick feeling girl! WAY to go :) I do the same thing with my “pump up” song. Surprisingly for a little while in my life it was “space jam” hahahaha I”m embarressed to admit that. I’m past that stage now.

you add cottage cheese to tuna? thats very cool! just like instead of mayo or whatever else would go in? I’m faheelin that idea!

Taylor August 12, 2009 at 11:48 am

I had a tuna sandwich today! I like the idea of adding broccoli slaw in it!

My first trip in an airplane was to New York City. It was my brother’s senior family trip. We are 11 years apart, so I was 7 years old. I could have gone somewhere earlier, but thats the one i remember! I love me some NYC!

Fav. appliance is my magic bullet!

ksgoodeats August 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday to your boss!! Way to dominate level 10! I do that song thing when I run too, I’ll push myself and think, “okay just finish this song!”

1. where is the first place you traveled to on an airplane? how old were you? St. Louis and I’m not sure how old I was…I was definitely a “tween” though

2. favorite appliance? Coffee maker? Does that count?!

Meredith August 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I try to develop a regular schedule with blog posting but sometimes it just doesn’t happen. Just go with the flow and try not to stress about it — we’ll be happy to read whatever and whenever you post!

Coco August 12, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Eff Yes!!!! Dredg is awesome!!!! I saw them so long ago. I wanna get myself a magic bullet! Where did you get yours?
1. First flight I went on was to Positano, Italy for my mom’s work – I was like 1 years old.
2. panini maker and I really want a magic bullet.

Rose August 12, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Oooh I love that wrap. You just gave me an idea for lunch tomorrow, and I totally have not been inspired for a while.

SHE-FIT August 12, 2009 at 1:53 pm

The first place I went to on a plane was to Texas. We go back every year for thanksgiving.

Love the flatout bread… I just discovered them :)

Therese August 12, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I love wasa crackers and cottage cheese! Such a good mixture…

What do you put in your waffle batter? Just curious.

My favorite appliance is definitely my food processor :) It’s a blender/ food processor duo and it works wonders!

April (Foods of April) August 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Yay for daily posts!! That waffle looks so interesting! what is in it?

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 12, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I love the Magic Bullet and Vita-Mix I DON’T have :)

I’ve always wanted to visit Seattle–sounds like you’re gonna have a blast!!

Susan August 12, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Do you have a wafflemaker in your office!?!? That’s a thing of beaty right there… Waffle Wednesday is a glorious day indeed ;)

And yay for hitting your 10!! I know the people at the gym think I’m crazy when I do HIIT. Especially because the machines get really loud when you go super fast, and a few grunts of distress sometimes escape from my mouth. They just don’t know what they’re missing :P Oh, and I need to check out Oxygen. I always hear great things about that mag.

1. My very first flight was to Montreal when I was 2. Technically it was a trip to Disney World, but we had connecting flights.

2. Toaster oven!! I hate turning the big oven on because it takes up so much energy and makes the apartment all hot.

Sarah (Finding My Balance) August 12, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Wowzers to that waffle. It looks tres delish.

1. Airplane? My mom has told me many a horror story about me flying on planes as a baby… Apparently I threw a hard boiled egg at someone once… But I guess my momma was crampin my style, because I started traveling alone when I was 5!

2. Best appliance? Toaster oven. For sure. I have a deLonghi, and I swear to gawd I could prepare a 4 course meal with it. It is the best thing ever.

carolinebee August 12, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Stellar day!! I went to switzerland when i was a wee little babe! I wish i remembered it! :(

mom August 12, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Good job on the eats and exercise, I’m still so proud of you! Be sure to read what Oxygen says about tuna……then call me. I am a loser in the HIIT category, but I’m working hard on the weights, just need to make a push for a lot more cardio in my life! You foods look simple and yummy, towanda, less is more!! xoxoxo

Mary :: A Merry Life August 12, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Love that wrap. Made something along the same lines for lunch yesterday.

First place I traveled on an airplane was from Memphis to LA when I was 18. My mom doesn’t fly so every family vacation was on the road. I was so excited to finally break free and get on a plane!

favorite appliance? Blender. The end.

burpexcuzme August 12, 2009 at 8:22 pm

YAY for daily posting! I hope you can do it, because I like my daily dose of the fabulous Janetha!
1. My first time on a plane was to Singapore from Korea..my family was moving to Singapore as a missionary family!
2. Spatula! Gets every crook and cranny of whatever I’m baking/cooking! I’m greedy! I want every scrap!

fearlessfabulousfulloflife August 12, 2009 at 9:14 pm

what amazing eats!! LOVE sprouts in a wrap! so good :) and love wasa crackers– thats so creative with the cottage cheese– what a powerhouse snack!!

i cant remember the first plane ride i took– it might have been just for fun in my dads plane when i was about 4– but then again i’m pretty sure i took flights when i was only several months old! i’ll have to ask my mum!!

xoxoxoxo j

broccolihut August 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Awesome protein packed meals!

Fave appliance right now is prob my hand blender. Instant hummus!

WholeBodyLove August 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm

My fave appliance has to be my magic bullet. Although there would be much more experimenting in my kitchen if I had a food processsor! I flew for the first time when I was 12. I went with my aunt to visit my “Nan” in Florida

Katharina August 13, 2009 at 11:49 pm

1. I went to Colombia when I was a few months old.

2. One of my old sculpture professors asked this to everyone – I said eggbeater, but really my favorite appliance is the stand-mixer.