come onnn friday!

by Janetha on August 6, 2009

in meals,moves

hi friends! i am going to keep this one short(ish) due to the marathon post yesterday.

i am really excited for friday to come, i am taking off early from work and going wakeboarding with my mom and my bestie~should be great times. my mom is a rock star on the wakeboard! and that just starts the whirlwind of good times lined up.. i will also be going to a little spot called wendover friday night, the ghetto fabulous version of vegas that is a short 90 minutes away from me.  it is to celebrate a friend’s birthday.  guess how we celebrated his birthday last year?? we were in hawaii:

l_e28ac1d6ecdf616ed79d6eabea87771b

birthday boy in the middle. in fact a year ago today i was packing up for my hawaiian vacation! makes me sad.

bah, i guess wendover will have to do!  and then saturday is tramp camp, about 18 fabulous females camping in the lovely rocky mountains.. no boys allowed!  should be good times.  and then sunday i plan to go to cirque de soliel since it is here is SLC for a few days!  good times ahead.

that is why i want friday to come sooner than later!

let’s get to it.

WEDNESDAY!

i think i left you hanging after the waffle extravaganza.  that was fabulous.

meals

lunch was also pretty dang amazing…

flat out+grilled chicken+sprouts+jalepeno goat cheese (from farmer’s market, so good)+avocado+annie’s horseradish mustard

i love that flat out wraps have 9 grams of protein.

squash+zucchini+4 colors of bell peppers+mushrooms+cukes+homemade hummus

the fresh farmer’s market veggies taste so much better than store bought, it is crazy.  i look forward to when i have my own place and can have a garden.  for now, i rely on other peoples’ gardens!

moves

my workout was intense~which is weird because my HR stayed super low~but i DEFINITELY have mayjuh DOMS already!

lower body workout

• 5 min warmup on treadmill (walk at 15 incline)

quads/abs

bulgarian split squats w/ dumbbells

• 12 each leg @ 15#
  • 20 bench tuck crunches
  • 10 each leg @ 20#
  • 20 bench tuck crunches
  • 8 each leg @ 24#
  • 20 bench tuck crunches
  • 6 each leg @ 30#
  • 20 bench tuck crunches
  • 12 each leg @ 20#

ball-against-wall squats

• 12 reps w/ a 12 second hold at the end

hamstrings/abs

barbell dead lifts

• 12 @ 25#
  • 30 standing side crunches w/ 25# plate (15 each side)
  • 10 @ 30#
  • 30 standing side crunches w/ 25# plate (15 each side)
  • 8 @ 40#
  • 30 standing side crunches w/ 25# plate (15 each side)
  • 6 @ 50#
  • 30 standing side crunches w/ 25# plate (15 each side)
  • 12 @ 40#

stability ball hamstring curls

• 15 reps

calves/lunges

standing weighted calf raises

• 12 @ 20#
  • 20 alternating lunges (10 each leg) holding 10# weight with side twist
  • 10 @ 40#
  • 20 alternating lunges (10 each leg) holding 10# weight with side twist
  • 8 @ 60#
  • 20 alternating lunges (10 each leg) holding 10# weight with side twist
  • 6 @ 80#
  • 20 alternating lunges (10 each leg) holding 10# weight with side twist
  • 12 @ 20#

single leg calf raises (body weight)

• 12 reps each leg

lower back

back extension w/ 10# plate

• set of 15 straight up
  • set of 15 with twist to the left
  • set of 15 with twist to the right

abs

so i put my legs up against the wall so my feet were in the air and my body made a 90 degree angle and reached for the ceiling.. what are those called? i did 2 sets of 50.

also did 2 sets of 50 floor crunches.

and 2 sets of 30 flutter kicks.

the end.

i think this was 45 minutes, max HR 152 ave HR 119 calories burned 250.

meals

dinner was with the girls at a spot called citrus grill and i had a cobb salad with a side of bad lighting~

i also finished off my gallon of water while chatting it up with the ladies.

then marshall and i caught up on the latest episodes of true blood- um it is getting a littttle freaky, no?

after the 2 hours of my guilty pleasure i had a little snack with a new friend:

picked this new brand of greek yogurt up at whole food’s awhile back for a pretty penny, i don’t recall exactly how much.  but it is 6 oz and 17 gs of protein! WOWZA! i like that. and only 6g carbs.. IMG_2759

i actually used 2 tablespoons of this container in my hummus i made the other night so i ate the remaining portion with some peaches and cinnamon:

the verdict? loved it.  if you are into really, really tart, strong-tasting greek yogurt then try this brand!  it was ultra delicious.

fun game: put naturally more PB on your dogs’ noses while your boyfriend makes a PBJ

IMG_2766 IMG_2764 IMG_2765

i really should have taken a video to capture the whole experience. i do this from time to time and it is so funny. they think if they crane their necks back far enough it will be easier to get the PB! poor pups. do you see the bit of PB that is up on penelope’s right eyebrow? haha. we are cruel parents.

THURSDAY!

meals

breakfast was late~not until 10 AM.  busy morning at the office!  but i ended up with a parfait a la k~

in a glass a la ellie~ellie where are you? it has been a minute since you posted.

nature’s path multigrain flax cereal, vitamuffin (blue bran) and fresh blueberries, fage mixed with PB2

good stuff.

katharina mentioned she always finds out about the food holidays a day too late!  so here are a few food holidays to know about~

• today is national root beer float day
  • tomorrow is national raspberries’n’cream day
  • saturday is national zucchini day AND national frozen custard day
  • sunday is national rice pudding day
  • and monday is exciting~national banana split day! and national smores day! i am thinking miss broccoli hut has some fabo recipe ideas for this day, no?

it has been awhile since i did this sooo..

in other news!!~~~

• april recently did a great video on ab moves, check it out here.
  • i saw a link on michelle’s blog regarding a horrific gym shooting in PA the other day, read about it here, this is so tragic.
  • jenn held a great interview with hungry girl, lisa lillien, you can check it out here.

well that is it for me~i am debating the free concert tonight (q tip) at the gallivan, but i may just lay low and take it easy with the poochies after my HIIT.  i kind of want to make something new for dinner.

questions.

1. favorite calf exercises? i am getting bored with mine.  also do you work out the front of your lower leg~the muscle along your shin? what do you do to work this part out?

2. what were you doing a year ago today? sure wish i was going to hawaii again!

3. what’s for dinner?

Tay August 6, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Wow that wrap looks soooooo good!! I’m hungry right now, and you’re not making it any easier ;-)

1. I never do usually work my calves – running usually did all the work for me! Occasionally I’ll do calf raises with a weight. Boring!

2. Hmmm…I was definitely home and not at school by now. I think we might have been on vacation in LA/San Diego area for my brother’s baseball tourney.

Michelle August 6, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Mmm Hawaii! I would LOVE to go there! I guess the less you go, the more special it is? Haha, we’ll go with that :-P

1. I don’t really have calf exercises lol. Maybe I should get on that!

2. A year ago today…I was getting over the biggest broken heart that had happened the day before :( Luckily, after 9 months, other relationships, and a lot of self-reflection, we are back together :)

3. Dinner! I think I may be making a polenta dish! But I really just want something warm with peanut butter hehe ;)

julie August 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm

whoa you are going to have a cuhRAZY weekend! how fun :)

I lovee stability ball calf raises :) they’re kinda cool!

a year ago today..uhh working in the city!

dinner…hmm good question!

Michelle August 6, 2009 at 2:29 pm

The muscle on the front of your shin is the tibialis anterior… try walking around on your heels. Or if you have a thera-band or some other kind of elastic you can wrap it around the top of your foot and have someone else pull it away from you (so your toes are pointing), then pull against the resistance to point your toes up toward your nose.

Michelle August 6, 2009 at 2:30 pm

P.S. your wrap looks amazing, and I love the list of food holidays! :)

Allison August 6, 2009 at 2:55 pm

LOL – you are mean ;) PB on their sweet little noses? ;P

ksgoodeats August 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm

So much excitement! Tramp camp and cirque?!

That is one MAYJAH! work out and I’m all over the parfait ;)

When I have to give the brat her allergy pills I use PB. Well sometimes it gets on her lower lip and she can’t lick it off – poor thing! It’s HIGH-larious though!

1. favorite calf exercises? the only calf exercise I’ve done is calf raises. I found this though: http://www.hyperstrike.com/my_lab.aspx?page=0&musclegroupid=114&searchtype=dropdown
2. what were you doing a year ago today? Nothing exciting because I can’t remember!
3. what’s for dinner? You’ll have to find out tomorrow but it’s something new :D

Anne K. August 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm

wakeboarding sounds so much fun! and it’s totally almost friday now :)

ooh i love that siggis yogurt! it’s the creamiest, thickest yogurt ever! it’s so expensive here, though :(

Your parfait looks so good! I love all the layers.

1) I don’t work my calves that much–the only thing I used to do was calf raises. Running can do a pretty dang good job of tearing em up!

2) I think I was at a harp summer camp, haha.

3) good question! I’ve been asking myself that, too…

Coco August 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Your weekend sounds awesome!!! I wish I was back home in Sun Valley and could go on a tramp camping trip!!! I went backpacking with a good group of friends though which was great!!!
I love that skyre yogurt. it’s supah good and supah pricy. I love your parfaits so I might copy you hahaha.
Your workouts sound intense!!! Work it girl! I wish I could find flatout wraps somewhere here…they look bomb.
Have so much fun this weekend!!!!

1. calf excersizes- can’t help yah there hahaha, I know none.
2. 1 year ago I was home sweet home right now! Living it up and floatin the river.
3. Din Din tonight is leftover turkey balls!

lookingforserenity August 6, 2009 at 4:22 pm

YUM! your yogurt parfaits look sooo good! I really want to try one- i think ill put that on my menu :) haha

Kailey August 6, 2009 at 4:52 pm

root beer float day!? for real!? yumm.
okay your parfait looks so pretty – mine never ever look like that! haha
lovely wrap too!

April (Foods of April) August 6, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Your wrap looks soo good! I love the spicyness!

Thanks so much for the shoutout! That makes me extremely happy haha!

And I don’t really work my calves… but jumping rope and jumping lunges make them BURN!

Matt (No Meat Athlete) August 6, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Wow what a fun blog this is! It’s like there’s a party goin’ on over here. And that’s a short post?

Your blogroll is awesome too; I’m definitely going to make good use of that. So glad I found you.

Answers:
1. Walking around on your heels is good for the front muscle, I used to do this all the time before and after runs when I shin issues.

2. Welcoming my new (rescued) dog into my house on her first night.

3. Veggie chips and salsa with pineapple-papaya smoothie from Thrive.

Susan August 6, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Oooh, you have such a fun weekend in store!! I’ve always wanted to see Cirque de Soleil, I’m a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I SO wish I could get Greek yogurt here, that’s crazy protein!!! Oh and that close-up of the wrap has me drooling.

1. Cycling! Seriously, my calves are usually my most sore muscle after a bike ride. You should look at a cyclist’s calf muscles sometime, they’re chiselled out of stone.

2. I haven’t a sweet clue. Probably working. Probably covering some lame sity council meeting…

3. In my belly!! Another random pan creation with cabbage and tofu. T’was quite delish actually…

I have a normal-person weekend this week! So I’m with you on the TGIalmostF!!!

carolinebee August 6, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Oh u know i’m allll about hangin with the momz :D Have fun this weekend!

jenngirl August 6, 2009 at 5:53 pm

You have such a fun weekend ahead!! And I’m thinking Monday I’ll need to invent a banana split-s’mores creation…I’ll let ya know ;)

1. yikes, no clue.

2. I think I was at the beach!? Fam trip.

3. lots oh steamed veggies- broc, zuc (celebrating early), sweet potato…and some protein thrown in thurrr.

lookingforserenity August 6, 2009 at 6:02 pm

haha as much as it will suck growing out of all my jeans (that I JUST bought btw) I can eat whatever I want :)

peanutbutterprerogative August 6, 2009 at 6:24 pm

mmm jalapeno goat cheese…jealous! and i always love your parfaits…i wish they sold vitatops here! any suggestions for substitutes? have fun at the concert if you end up going!!

snackface August 6, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Whoah. Just did some may-juh catching up. All I need to say is: FOOD PROCESSOR!!! I’m so jealous! I’d totes make my own hummus too if I had that. Glad your discovering the joys of one!

I totally thought today was friday until about 3pm. I hope you have a blast this weekend, by the way!

Oooh Q’s!
-Calf excercises- I don’t do any. Dance background, elliptical, 4-inch heels and running keep them surprisingly toned. And good genes maybe.
-Oh my gosh. A year ago today I was in Ohio, being a server at Olive Garden. Wow.
-Dinner? Vegan sammiches at this killer place called Ike’s. We haven’t left yet, and I’m starving already. I may have had some crackers. Whoops.

Later love!

burpexcuzme August 6, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Oh, I can’t wait for Friday to come too, so I can read your blog abt it! Sounds fantastic.

And I HATE doing calf exercises. And a year ago…well, I was starving myself to death >:-( Stupid me.

elise August 6, 2009 at 9:24 pm

one of these days ill find flat wraps. grrr.

a year ago today i was browsing food blogs for the first time evah!!!

broccolihut August 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I once had a really interesting/odd convo with some guy near the dairy case at WF as a result of that Siggi’s. He told me all about Iceland’s economy and newly elected female president. Oh, the people you meet at WF.
Whoa! I am so psyched about Monday. I might have to make a s’mores flavored banana split!

Lainie August 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm

1.) I don’t know!
2.) I don’t know…again!
3.) I had a hamburger :)

Let me know how the wakeboarding goes! It’s something I’ve always wanted to try but haven’t had the opportunity to do so yet.

Katharina August 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Hey girl! Thanks for the heads up about the holidays. I’ll be in New York starting Saturday for a week.. so you know I can find a place to celebrate each of these holidays – especially frozen custard.

My old roommate got some of that Icelandic yogurt. You should try the other flavors too :) And I had no idea that flat-out wraps had that much protein! Which one do you recommend?

1. I’d like to read some of these answers. My calves are so skinny, no thanks to genetics!

2. I was… I’m not sure what I was doing. Probably something around Richmond and thinking about the semester starting up again.

3. Well I’ll tell ya what I made for dinner last night. I made a lentil bolognese over pasta and kale chips on the side.

p.s. I got the plate at TJ Maxx over a year ago, but I still see at stores.

WholeBodyLove August 6, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Dinner: Amy’s Indian, celery+Naturally More mixed w/ Maranatha… Easy peasy after a hectic day ;)

buffmuffy August 6, 2009 at 11:31 pm

ooo that parfait looks good!

1.fave calf exercises are just the raises on that machine that you stand on the ledge with your toes and with the thing … that you put your shoulders under and lift … LOL.
2. one year ago today… i was moving in or unpacking! and working. and preparing to go to school. blah!
3. dinner i had like 7 hours ago :) it was cottage cheese with apples and a brownie .. LOL

-muffy

Jessica (jesslikesithot) August 7, 2009 at 1:35 am

JALAPENO goat cheese?! Um, I need that!

But since this girl needs to go to sleep soon (waking up at 7 for my arizona road trip) …i’m gonna get to the q’s!

1. I didn’t even know you could work out the front of your shins! I learn something new everyday. ;)

2. I was at home, getting ready for my FIRST year of college!!! But a month before that, i was in cancun….dancing with tourists and drinking mint mojitos by the pool….ahhhh love.

3. dinner WAS green chile tamales, w/ lots of salsa, vegetarian refried beans and a salad! delicious.

xoooo J!

balancejoyanddelicias August 7, 2009 at 5:55 am

You’ll going to have such a fun weekend! Enjoy girl~~~

What I was doing this time last year? a hard question! oh… I was on vacation in China with my family and my dear Star! :)

What’s for dinner? Bengal, the best restaurant in Buenos Aires.

Michal Mymo August 7, 2009 at 6:52 am

That parfait looks dee-lish! I think im about to go make one myself :)

1. favorite calf exercises?
im a newbie to strength/weight training but i would love to hear everyone elses responses

2. what were you doing a year ago today?
i was at band camp marching around with glitter all over my face haha

3. what’s for dinner?
im going out with my mom to our favorite vegan resturant – but i have no idea what im going to get yet. its going to be delicious though whatever it is!

Emily August 7, 2009 at 7:05 am

Were you at Matsumoto’s in that picture?? If you were, let me just say that that shave ice is the bombest freaking thing ever. I would go back almost just for that!! I have no clue what I was doing last August, but I do know that in March I was in Hawaii–I’m sharing the blues with ya there, girl!

Leah August 7, 2009 at 7:05 am

Your workouts are always so awesome!! I love how much time you devote to them!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the support you’ve been giving me! I know I haven’t commented much on your blog lately but I have been reading!! Thanks so much Janetha!

Lara (Thinspired) August 7, 2009 at 7:57 am

I am dying to try Siggi’s yogurt! Everyone says it’s so creamy.
Dinner. Crap. Haven’t thought about it yet…I need to start planning my meals!
Happy Friday!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) August 7, 2009 at 8:53 am

shoop ba doop girl…you have an AWESOME weekend ahead of you. have i mentioned i adore your mom? not only does she leave the best comments but the woman wakeboards. i love it!

i haven’t tried siggi’s yet, but if it’s tangy, i’m there. love that thick and creamy glorious goodness (TWSS).

thanks for all the national holiday awareness…i will plan accordingly, and have a WONDERFUL weekend friend. i wish i could go to tramp camp :(

(1) calf exercise? my legs are naturally uber-muscular so i don’t really lift them at all otherwise they would be tree stump beasts.

(2) ahhh a year ago today…in a job i hated living at home with my parents. now i am starting a new job living alone…weird how things change!

(3) no idea. most likely subway on the road driving to WI…

SHE-FIT August 7, 2009 at 9:11 am

Have fun going wakeboarding
Calf exercises: Walking on my tippie toes
This time last year I was moving to Arizona after getting married
Favorite dinner: Any type of breakfast!

kristi (sweet cheeks) August 7, 2009 at 9:25 am

Ah, Hawaii sounds absolutely fabulous right about now doesn’t it?!?

1. I like calf raises.

2. Talk about bad memory…I really have no idea what I was doing a year ago. If I were to guess, I would say laying out by the pool.

3. I’m hankering for a stir-fry so that will probably be the plan for dinner tonight. Tofu + veggies + brown rice + soy sauce!

runningyogini August 7, 2009 at 10:00 am

1. favorite calf exercises?

Um…calf raises, but I don’t like calf exercises so I don’t think I can call them my favorite ;-)

2. what were you doing a year ago today? sure wish i was going to hawaii again!

Same thing. Working. Getting ready for school. Sigh. Next year I WON’T be doing the same thing!!

3. what’s for dinner?

Hmmm…Hubby got a gift card so we might go out to eat and if not, I’m going to roast some butternut squash and have a yummy wrap!

Angharad August 11, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Heeeeyyyyy! So much blogging love to catch up on from you so I will start here! That parfait looks bomb diggity for one. Nice. As does the yog/peach/cinn.
Also excited to check out the ab move video for some new tips! Thanks lady!

A year ago last Friday (when you posted this) hmmm I dunno but the weekend before I was in Chicago (weird!) for a wedding and city fun.
Ok – next post!