this little blog of mine.

by Janetha on July 15, 2009

in meals,moves

happy wednesday everyone!

hump

i am going to take care of some much postponed business, the award that ellie gave me the other day!

award_thumb

Noblesse Oblige Award

The recipient of this award is recognized for the following:
• The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervade amongst different cultures and beliefs
• Their Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage, and offers solutions
• There is a clear purpose at the Blog: one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Cultures, Sciences, and Beliefs
• The Blog is refreshing and creative; and The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking

The requirements of the person receiving the award are as follows:
• Create a post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award
• The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post
• Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older posts as support
• The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions- Blogger must display the Award at any location at their Blog

thanks ellie!  i have seen a few other bloggers receive this award, and i gotta say.. i don’t think my little blog is quite worthy of such a thing, not compared to all your amazing blogs!  haha.. mine is basically just rambling and life and food.. nothing too deep and no real advice.. but i like to keep it casual.  perhaps one day i will dig deeper into my thoughts on exercise and eating but for now i just like to roll with the punches and talk about them as they come along.

i first want to start out with the story of why i started my blog.  i went to mexico the first week of april this year.  although i was not looking bad, i was not looking my best in my bikini.  my muscles were not what they used to be, i had lost a lot of strength and gained some fat from slacking at the gym and eating the same foods my million-calories-a-day boyfriend was.  not a good combo!

i came home from mexico bound and determined to start up another body for life challenge because i know that works for me.  i was browsing around online and i remembered i had book marked a girl’s page once, kind of a random story, i was looking for a photo of an omelette pan to show my mom because i had purchased it.  when i did a google image search, it took me to her blog.  i book marked her blog because it looked interesting but i never went back.  as i was perusing the internet i went back to her blog and read more.  i saw a bunch of links on her side bar and started clicking them.  i had never seen a food blog in my life until this moment.  i didn’t even know they existed!  i was a big reader of cooking blogs but never had i seen a blog where people take photos of what they ate and talked about it.  some may come across our community and think we are a bit odd, but i immediately dug it! i started clicking and clicking and reading and readdding.. so many of your blogs i immediately fell in love with!

i decided that starting my own food blog to become accountable for my actions was a great idea!  i started this blog for me, i didn’t care if i had one reader or 100 readers.. and that is the attitude i have about it today.  don’t get me wrong, i LOVE that you are all reading my blog.. but i never care how many comments i get or how many page views i have, that is not an issue to me. originally i was going to call the blog “vanilla bean and everything in between” because vanilla bean is my absolute favorite~both smell and taste-wise.  but then i realized i also wanted to incorporate my workouts on the blog so i dubbed it “meals & moves” which is something a friend of mine on body for life tracker came up with to keep our team in check.  so yes, thanks kimberley for helping me come up with a blog name!

my first post was just about water because i usually try to concentrate on drinking lots of it.  the second post was my first post with actual food photos and i felt really silly! but i took my photos and laid out my posts in meal number/time i ate format.  this worked well for me since i was doing strict body for life.  i also had my workout posts and eating posts separate, while now i have them combined.

my strict body for life eating habits were thrown out the window when i got my tonsils out on may 5th. eating was a bit crazy for a month and exercise was non existent!!  i eventually recovered, for the most part, picked back up my healthy eating habits and in the meantime i turned 26. a month later i ran my first 10k. and that brings me to today!  ok, ok, so a lot more happened between then and now, but this was getting pretty long!

one more thing i wanted to touch on was the fact that reading food blogs has opened me up to a whole new world of ideas!  i discovered my love for a parfait ala k, got an amazing bloggie bday gift from danica, ate my first breakfast cookie, and participated in some fun challenges! i have also created a long list of recipes for my blog.

i know some people still think i am weird for having this blog, namely my brother and some select friends, but i really don’t care.  i love writing this blog even though it doesn’t have any phenomenal information in it, i ADORE all of your blogs and the people i have met through blogging are all first class amazing people, i have fun experimenting and trying new things and i love to document my meals & moves so i can stay accountable and keep track of where i’ve been, where i am at and where i want to go.

thanks for reading this little blog of mine, it may be a little boring and whack at times, but hey.. you have managed to come back time and time again so i guess i am doing something right! :D

so!

what was yesterday…?

TUESDAY!

meals

i am just going to fly through these meals right quick since this has become a longer than intended post.

breakfast=no bake cookie protein oats

(oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, almond breeze, PB)

lunch=cauliflower, stoplight bell peppers, jicama, mushrooms, hummus & a mini pita filled with cottage cheese & sprouts

then it was time to get my hair done! i went from this

to this!

hoooray for no more roots! hah.

and by the time my hair appt was over i was starving so i had a

braeburn apple

ok, stop, collaborate and listen.  do you see the mealy-ness of this apple?!?! it was not crisp or crunchy or anything, it was mealy, not mushy but real grainy.  and i just barely bought 5 of these.  um.. does this ever happen to your apples? am i going to die because i ate it anyway? it was gross, but desperate times called for desperate measures!

i also had a luna cookie pre workout. i don’t really dig the stats on these but i DO dig the taste and i had one in my car so i went with it

gym time!

moves

i went for an upper body workout yesterday. here is the rundown:

5 minute warmup on elliptical

• 8 reps @ 35#
  • 6 reps @ 40#
  • 12 reps @ 24#

dumbbell flyes

• 12 reps @ 15#

shoulders

dumbbell shoulder press (seated)

• 12 reps @ 15#

5 minute cool down on treadmill

duration: 53 minutes

max HR: 166

ave HR: 130

calories: 351

whew, radtastic!

then i went to whole foods & sunflower market because my SIL is wanting to get some extra, easy on-the-go protein options incorporated into her diet.  she was looking for both bars & shakes and so i bought a plethora of choices for her to try out and decide what she likes best:

mojo bar, 3 luna bars, odwalla bar, 2 balance bars, kind bar, 3 perfect foods bars, zone bar, 5 spirutein packets, 3 rice protein packets, 2 jay robb packets and 2 containers of UVAB for mixing.  i also am giving her some of my EAS chocolate triple combo protein and vanilla triple combo protein and some syntrax roadside lemonade whey protein. hoping that with all these options she can figure out what pleases her palette the most.  each item ranges from 10g up to 27g protein each.

i also got her some greek yogurts to try:

i was really stoked when i saw whole foods had four new brands of greek yogurt! i bought a couple of them, that top one siggi’s in blueberry, brown cow now has greek yogurt i got her in strawberry, a peach fage and a plain voskos.  i also got myself some plain 0% in the siggi’s and brown cow brands.. i don’t do the flavored greek yogurts, too high in sugar and i prefer to add my own natural sweeteners like fresh peaches!

meals

well yesterday was national macaroni day so i whipped up a quick dinner to go along with it.

i used this:

notice the tab where you open it, sooo cute, i get kicks out of that sort of thang:

and i mixed it with some turkey burger+cajun seasoning:

to get this:

marshall was quick to point out that those were shells and not macaroni. i didn’t have any annie’s mac on hand, so i improvised! haha at least i tried, right?

i had some steamfresh veggies on the side

alllls together!

it was actually really, really, really good! and super quick.

after dinner marshall and i watched the last 5 episodes of season 1 of weeds.. onto season 2 next time! seriously, TV series on DVD is ruining my life. i was up until 1 AM again. ugh.

i had a clementine x 3 for dessert:

they are so cute and little and edible!

well friends, that is all from me for now. at least i only had to recap one day, but this still turned out to be a massive post! thanks for hanging out with me for a bit of your day, now back to your regularly scheduled blog reading work day.

questions!

1. favorite summery salad? (i am asking this because i have ulterior motives..muhahah)

2. favorite food thang you have picked up since reading blogs?

xo! janetha b.

Kellie July 15, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Janetha,
I stumbled across my first food blog a few months ago on a Weight Watcher board. I am hooked. I have even started my own blog, but have a really hard time making the time to post… too busy reading all the other blogs LOL
The food blogs have gotten me to be more adventurous…. I really like almost anything and my eating has become much more varied. I know that is good for my health!
My favorite “salad” is black beans, onion, tomatos, avocado and a little salsa. YUM. this I eat alone or on top of a bed of spinach…

insideiamdancing July 15, 2009 at 12:17 pm

LOVED reading this- I had seen your name in comments for a while, but only started reading recently…though being the true stalker that I am ( :P ) I went back and read some old posts. I LOVE your attitude and the way you write and approach things- seriously, you crack me up with your posts and your comments on my posts always have me grinning. Like this -> :D I’m glad that blogging has been such a positive experience for you!

Mealy apples are the worst- that’s what happens when you buy out of season :P Kidding, but seriously- when I lived in the US last summer, I stopped eating apples completely because they were so nasty. I don’t have that problem here for some reason. Maybe because it’s colder? I keep mine in the fridge which helps but who knows if where you buy them from keeps them cold enough. Microwaving with cinnamon masks the ick factor! Luna cookies are z-bars to me. I liked the PB chocolate one- what happened to the tea cakes? They were pretty cool. Though by no stretch of the imagination were ‘cake’.

I LOVE the fage twin pots- I cook up some oats, then stir in the yogurt and leave it in the fridge overnight. It’s like pudding :D The cherry one is really good too.

Woah, holy long comment batman.

1. favorite summery salad? the one I made the other night! Spinach, butternut squash, roasted asparagus, grilled portabello mushroom, alfalfa sprouts, strawberries, goats cheese and balsamic dressing.

2. favorite food thang you have picked up since reading blogs? dude, where to begin…nut butters, hummus, lara bars, pumpkin, BBQ sauce with hummus, crack wraps, baked oatmeal, spaghetti squash…should I stop? :P

Erin July 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Janetha, your blog is truly one of my favs!

And you have THE most gorg head of hair!

Fave summer salad = spinach, goat cheese, tomato, cranberries, spicy pecans, rasp vinagrette.

Food blog technique = smoothies!

buffmuffy July 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Wow huge diff on the hair! looks great!
-muffy

julie July 15, 2009 at 1:05 pm

i love love loveeee this post! (and your hair looks fab) it’s fun to see how other people came across blogging!

my brothers make fun of me ALL the time for blogging but I dont care. They know they’ve reaped the benefits too because I’ve caught them eating some of the free samps.

I love making salads with LOTS of salsa on top :)
And my favorite new food love from blogging HAS to be green monsters!!

Anne K. July 15, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Aww, cute blog award! And I always love reading your blog. You are so cute and hilarious, girl :D

Your hair looks gorgeous! It’s such a pretty color.

Eew, I hate mealy apples. I don’t think it’ll hurt you or anything, they just taste kinda icky.

I love that siggi’s yogurt! It’s the creamiest, thickest yogurt EVER but it’s really expensive here :(

1) Fave summery salad? Hmm. Ok here we go: Romaine lettuce, spinach, sprouts, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, fresh basil from the garden, and either goat cheese or crumbled fresh mozzarella cheese, with a strawberry balsamic dressing.

2) Oh my gosh, there are so many. I’ve discovered so many new recipes and food combos. I’d have to say breakfast creations: stovetop oats, overnight oats in greek yogurt, and parfaits :D

Katharina July 15, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Clemetines are super cute! Even their name is cute!

I got a sample of that Luna Cookie and it sounded good :) Assuring to see that someone likes it.

1. Hmmm.. summery salad. My favorite? Well there’s this recipe and you could mix it with cold israeli cous cous or quinoa:

2. Trying out more foods… and different nut butters lol. I also like trying out the different ways people have of eating things. Like parfaits with yogurts, cereals, and fruits… oatmeal cookies, soft-serve banana! The list could go on..

Hi, I’m Katharina by the way :)

Angharad July 15, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Loved this post! There are defo some people in my life who would find my blogging about food super weird and super OCD but I don’t care!

1) The Spicy Black Bean Salad I’ve been rocking all week! Spiciness is so good when it’s hot out and it’s so colorful and versatile. Yum. I recommend!

2) I’m still relatively new so my list isn’t that long…Almond Butter for sure! I have a bunch of stuff I wanna try though; I’m just trying to pace myself!

Don’t forget to try the tortilla thang! x

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) July 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm

oh my lil’ j-girl…i loved you even more after this post! i started blogging for some of the same reasons (accountability, most of all), and now looking back – it’s awesome to see all that progress documented online.

you are so friggin funny and seem to be such a joyful soul. i’m pretty sure if we lived in the same place, we would def be friends.

your hair is adorable, berry salads (with strawberry, blueberry, walnuts & EVOO/honey) are da bomb (did i really just recycle a 1994 clueless line?) and the one thing blogs have turned me onto that i couldn’t live without anymore is TJ’s raw AB! love it!

have a good day dear :)

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 15, 2009 at 2:58 pm

blogs have truly changed the way i eat oats!

katecooks July 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm

i love your uber blonde hair! my roommate keeps lightening me little by little but im scardd to take the plunge!! also, all my friends already have super light hair so i am trying to be original (???) with the honey color. at least, so i tell myself :)

lookingforserenity July 15, 2009 at 3:11 pm

YUM! Annies mac and cheese is my favorite :)

Susan July 15, 2009 at 3:20 pm

…ice is back with a brand new edition…

Ahem…I couldn’t help myself :P

Food blogs have totally influenced my eats. I’d never had PB and oatmeal until I saw it on a blog. Can you imagine?

I’m so jealous that you can buy four kinds of greek yogurt where you are and I can’t even find one!!

peanutbutterprerogative July 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm

hey, thanks for checking my blog out!!
1) that’s a tough one! i guess a salad with every fresh vegetable in the fridge AND every sauce…hummus, salsa, hot sauce, marinara, balsamic, etc etc
2) DEF sweet potato fries..i never knew they were so easy!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) July 15, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Craziness…..I was JUST thinking about asking for everyone’s fave summer salad on my next post!!! Beat me to itttt Janetha! haha!

That pita sandwich and the mac n’ cheese look soooo delicious. I always have to have mine with lots of hot sauce, a crumbled up veggie burg and brocc!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) July 15, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Oh, and my fave summer salad includes everything but the kitchen sink! ;) I love the salty/sweet combo. All the veggies possible + sesame sticks + avocado + strawberries/dried crans/etc + an annie’s dressing!

buffmuffy July 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I’m glad you like her :) I have posted a few pics of her before but not a ton. She’s not the most photogenic in the world LOL.

ksgoodeats July 15, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Congrats on your award!! Your lunch looks YUM-ME! Love the new ‘do!

“ok, stop, collaborate and listen” Hahaha! In all seriousness though – I HATE when apple pull that shiz on me!

Your protein haul looks faaaantastic! You got the good stuff for her!

There are way too many fav. food thangs! Just about everything is blogger inspired in one way or another.

My favorite salads: Mixed greens, sliced apples, toasted nuts, dried cranberries, and white cheddar with a raspberry vinaigrette. OR mixed greens, pineapple segments, mandarin oranges, strawberries, bluebs, and pecans with a raspberry poppyseed vinaigrette (aka the best salad from Panera ;) )

April (Foods of April) July 15, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I loved hearing your story! That’s too funny about how you came across the world of food blogging!

Why doesn’t my Sunflower carry those Perfect Food Bars?? No fair!

Your hair looks cute!!

broccolihut July 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Congrats on the award!
Yay for more Spirutein!
My fave thing I have picked up from blogging is probably my love of oatmeal and oat bran–I wasn’t nearly as obsessed with it before reading blogs.

burpexcuzme July 15, 2009 at 11:28 pm

lol, oh my dear Janetha, you don’t have to be preaching or all deep and philosophical to have a great blog! Ellie was wise to choose you, because the most important thing is what this blog did for YOU, personally. And you’ve got quite a story in your blog…it has given you pleasure, and it has helped you record some of the great (and not so great) moments in your life, and that is huge!

lookingforserenity July 16, 2009 at 7:02 am

noo I haven’t seen it! i think i’ll go check it out! thank you for commenting me back :) I love annie’s because there’s no trader joes/whole foods by my house! :( so I have to rely on organic brands from jewel! haha

Kailey July 16, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I love love love your new hair!! and pb luna cookie!? mm heck yes!

I love you transformed that Annies Mac N Cheese from plain jane to an amazing meal!

linds July 16, 2009 at 1:11 pm

neef, love the blog. maybe i can learn something. thank you so much for the protein items. i am enjoying a mojo bar right this minute. its pretty bomb. keep up the good work. your the best.

buffmuffy July 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm

ok i replied to you on my blog, but im unsure if people are getting my replys or not so let me know if you get notice about it!
-muffy

Lara July 17, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Awww… I just started a feature on http://sarahwithanhishealthy.wordpress.com and I’m sooooo excited! Other people to share my experiments, excitements, exercises and exclamations with! It will be lots of fun:-) I hope I inspire and give new ideas:-)

Danica July 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Ahhhh, I LOVED your story of your little blog and you know it’s funny. It made me realize I think I have been pretty much reading since close to the start of it – scary huh?!

LOVE the Annie’s mac creation. I used to do that all the time, I need to start doing it again – YUM!

Ana August 26, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Out of those protein products (the protien powders in particular), which one do you like the best?
How about your friend? Did she find one she liked?
And the syntrax protein powders….have you tried other flavors? The Vanilla one?

Omg, sorry! i bombarded you with so many questions, but i don’t want to spend my money on crap, ya know?

Janetha August 31, 2014 at 10:47 am

I replied to your other comment, but I like Plant Fusion, Onnit Hemp Force, and MRM Whey the best. This post is from 2009 and I honestly don’t remember haha. But those are my current faves.