running behind, running on empty.

by Janetha on July 10, 2009

in meals

i feel like all these posts lately are catch up posts! i can’t manage to post daily, but that is ok because not a lot has gone on with me being sick and all.  i came home from work early today, yep.. went home sick. i sound like a man, i can’t hear anything, can’t taste anything, can’t smell anything and swallowing is out of the question. woe is me!

i will stop raining on the blogging parade and put an end to my pity party and dive right into the eats as of late.  mmmk?

WEDNESDAY!

i woke up on wednesday in rough shape so i called in sick. this is not a regular thang for me, i usually go to work sick.  but i couldn’t hang dudettes.. there was just no way.  i did have my taste buds working on wednesday though, luckily, and i had some unphotographed eats. i couldn’t muster up the energy to go to my car and snag my camera. meh. breakfast was a bowl of some mixed cereal, eggs & a slice of bread. boring.

i also snacked on a new bar sometime between ten and two (yep that is where you should have your hands on when you are driving) it was a perfect foods peanut butter bar

7-8-09 006

i only ate half of this beast because it is a whopping 292 calories for the whole thing! way too filling for just a snack for me.

7-8-09 008

7-8-09 009

good amount of protein, higher in fat than i usually do but the fats come from good, healthy sources so i was ok with it.

7-8-09 007

the taste? brilliant! i loved the texture, it was a bit crumbly but still dense. the peanut butter taste was really there and i enjoyed the honey/peanut butter combination that was so strong in the bar.

would i buy it again? maybe. it was over $3! pricey. but really good for a bar, i was impressed. if they were on sale i would buy them again!

i went to the grocery store sometime around two o’clock.. i came home and baked some vegan chocolate chip banana muffins:

7-8-09 011

7-8-09 013

7-8-09 015

7-8-09 016

7-8-09 017

they were bangin. a little while later i found an appetite and had some grilled ham & cheese w/ tomato soup:

7-8-09 023

i like chunks in my tomato soup so i took this:

7-8-09 018

and added some of this:

7-8-09 019

perfecto. and then i made my grilled cheese with some orowheat bread and some ham and medium tillamook cheddar all in the toaster oven:

7-8-09 020

it was good!

7-8-09 021

7-8-09 027

wrapped up the night with these two characters:

7-8-09 037

7-8-09 038

THURSDAY!

i managed to make it to work thursday, a tad late but i made it. i had a vegan chocolate chip banana muffin on the way to work , so i waited awhile for breakfast and had some no bake cookie protein oats around 10:

7-9-09 003

delicious, as per usual. 1/2 cup oats, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder, more than a splash of almond milk and spoonful of PB!

7-9-09 002

still had my taste buds functioning when lunch came around.. i had veggies + hummus and a bagel+turkey+cheddar sandwich

7-9-09 004

7-9-09 008

before leaving work i snacked on a braeburn

7-9-09 010

and then i went to my mom’s.. we had takeout from the best chinese spot in utah.. the mandarin.

the taste buds failed me. i couldn’t smell a thing or taste a thing. why did i even eat?! i have no idea!! i should have just had something healthy since i couldn’t even enjoy this. but  ate this anyway.

7-9-09 014

that looks bigger than it is. this was actually a small salad plate. let’s take a closer look.

char shu (pork) with spicy sauce. i could kinda taste the sauce.

7-9-09 018

spicy garlic chicken

7-9-09 019

szechwan chicken with noodles

7-9-09 016

beef with beans

7-9-09 015

fried rice

7-9-09 017

i am sure it was all delicious.

i had a thermometer for dessert. with a side of thumbs down.

7-9-09 012

100.5 degrees. fever.

and i had a fortune cookie.

7-9-09 020

here’s hoping!

i went back to marshall’s and made a batch of vegan banana cherry muffins.. but i can’t tell you how they taste.

FRIDAY!

no taste again today. so i had a protein shake w/ chocolate protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 cup almond milk

7-10-09 002 7-10-09 001

and then i came home. yawn. sick sick sick.

i was sitting here reading blogs and a miniature blue pinscher came walking into my open front door! don’t know whose he is, where he came from, his name, nothing..nadda. he looks expensive! he has a collar but no name tag.

7-10-09 006

who are you little guy? where do you belong??

7-10-09 008

our grass is dead. we rent, not our problem…

7-10-09 007

he is tiny!

7-10-09 003

i hope someone comes looking for him soon!!

well that is all from me for now, i am going to go pound some nyquil and curl up and die.

hope you all have a fun weekend! and i hope i get better.. ha.

questions!

1. do you say something after your fortune from a fortune cookie? we say “in bed”..it makes all the fortunes better.. so mine would have been, “you are in for a very pleasant surprise in bed”.. yes!

2. what is your favorite kind of takeout? i do like chinese, but my favorite is probably pizza to be honest with you.

ok.. BYE! xo

snackface July 10, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Janetha! I’m sorry you’re feeling like poo! Have you ever had sinus issues before? Because the not breathing, hearing, smelling, tasting + sore throat sounds a lot like a sinus infection or something, especially if things aren’t coming out of your nose when you blow. It could be post-nasal drip that’s running down the back of your throat, thus causing the soreness. Gross, I know, but as one who had her tonsils removed and still got sore throats, I discovered that was the problem–silly sinuses!

Fortune cookies…I’ve never said anything afterward, but I do always try to make sense of them. And fave takeout? I don’t really get takeout, but I’d have to go with Panera. Does that count :D. Maybe sushi? I’m such a priss, it’s obnoxious.

BABY PUPPY!!!! Ahhh I’m freaking out! How long will you keep him? So freakin’ adorable. I’ll take him!

Okay, feel better! And if it’s sinuses, get yourself some ibuprofen+pseudoephedrine (I get generic drugstore brand, often labeled for Cold and Sinuses). That should help! Ciao for now!

Erin July 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Oh hun, I’m so sorry to hear of your illness woes. Keep an eye on that temp, but it seems to be normal for a stupid virus. I bet you’ll be feeling better by this weekend, yes?

I don’t do that with fortune cookies but my husband does!

My favorite take out is Thai curry. Love.

insideiamdancing July 10, 2009 at 2:14 pm

the bar looks awesome! I guess for $3 if it’s big, you are kind of getting 2 snacks out of it :) I always crave grilled cheese and tomato soup when I am sick…and muffins, but nobody gives me those :( (woa is me- I need a muffin pan STAT!) Sorry about your tastebuds! That drives me NUTSO! Hope you are feeling better soon- you still at home resting and getting some TLC

Puppy cute beyond words…mysterious though! I wonder where he came from! (the fortune cookie people?!)

. do you say something after your fortune from a fortune cookie? I have never heard of such a thing. Crazy Americans :P

2. what is your favorite kind of takeout?
CHINESE! Though the options where I live are Chinese, Indian (also amazing), fish ‘n’ chips or pizza so not much choice. In NY, it was impossible to choose- there were SO many options. I want to try Mexican, but yeah…sticking with Chinese. And deli-chicken salad sandwiches.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 10, 2009 at 2:20 pm

brilliant! i love adding chunkiness to soups….in bed….

Kailey July 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm

wow that bar looks like a soft baked cookie :) I’ll be on the lookout for it!
my favorite take out is thai food!

kristi (sweet cheeks) July 10, 2009 at 2:39 pm

hope you feel better VERY SOON!

buffmuffy July 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm

tomato soup and grill cheese… mmm im hungry now!
-muffy

Susan July 10, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Awww, I’m sorry you’re feeling so sick :( Take the weekend to rest up so you can start to feel better :)

That bar looks really, really good. I agree, a little too calorie dense for a snack. But I bet paired with some veggies or fruit it would make a great meal in a pinch!

That is the best looking grilled cheese and tomato soup I’ve ever seen. You are welcome to come cook for me the next time I’m sick :P

Favourite take-out = garlic fingers. If I’m going all out, I might as well skip the pizza and go straight to the garlic fingers and donair sauce.

jenngirl July 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Sorry you’re still not feeling well, hopefully you get well soon!!

haha that’s a funny idea for fortune cookies, I have such a dirty mind, I can’t believe I’ve never thought to do that! Now I will ;)

My favorite take-out is probably sushi or Japanese habachi…or chicken teriyaki…mmm

ksgoodeats July 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm

FEEL BETTER PLEASE!!!! I don’t like it when people feel icky :(

That bar sounds yummy but what a calorie whopper!! Grilled cheese and soup = best sick food!

Your muffins look yummmmmm! You HAVE to do the ‘in bed’ with the fortune cookies – I’m glad I’m not the only one! It makes them 10x better!

I hope you find the pupperoons home! Then yell at the bad pet parents ;)

April (Foods of April) July 10, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I hope you feel better soon! Zicam seems to help if you can find that at the store!

I am trying those protein cookie oats asap!!

Sarah W. July 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I’m sorry you don’t feel well. You what I hate worse than being sick, ONLY having a 100 degree temp – WTF is up w/ that?! I feel like 100 is just a “slight” fever but man it can make you just feel like utter dog shit. the worst! lots of liquids and tylenol girlie

burpexcuzme July 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Oh, poor Janetha! I hope you wake up with fresh and rejuvenated spirits the next morning!
… and that PB bar looks amazing! though 292 calories does seem quite hefty!
Oh, and wonder what pleasant surprise that cookie is talking about…? Hope it comes your way soon!
FAvorite take-out food…sandwiches!

Anne K. July 10, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Aw sweets, I hope you feel better soon! You poor thing :(

That bar looks really yummy, but wow that’s caloric! Sounds delish, though. Your muffins look so good!

MAN I want a toaster oven sooo bad! Haha, I’ve been totally wanting one for a while, and seeing yours reminded me!

So sorry you’ve temporarily lost your senses :( Eating is no fun when you can’t taste food! Feel better soon, girl!

broccolihut July 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Whoa! Those muffins look crazy good! I’ll take two dozen, please;)
My sister ALWAYS says “between the sheets” after fortune cookie sayings. No matter what, it’s always funny.

Angharad July 11, 2009 at 12:31 am

So sorry you’re feeling like poop! That sucks love. Grilled cheese and soup + muffins sound like the perfect antidote though. Mmm, banana and chocolate muffins…

All your eats look ace. Sad face that you couldn’t taste the chinese…

Thanks for the props on the comment box – I feel exactly the same. I can never remember what I want to say without scrolling up and down the post! Tabouli: I dunno, it just adds some goodness I can’t put my finger on. Love cottage cheese instead of mayo; must try. Also, wtf is LCL?! Am I an idiot??

Sometimes when you’re sick, I truly believe in pushing through and drinking alcohol and eating bbq. It might be just the ticket. I am not a doctor though and there is a reason for that. I just hope you get to enjoy the weekend – you picked the wrong end of the week to get sick. Boo.

Also, that bar looks a little out of control aka like a cake. Woah.

Feel better love!! x

Emily July 11, 2009 at 11:01 am

I’ve been wanting to try those Bumble Bars for a while now–glad to know they’re worth the investment! I’ve seen that they have “light” versions, too, which could be better for a lighter snack.

janetha July 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm

these aren’t the bumble bars–i have been wanting to try those actually! these are perfect food bars, they both have a bee on the packaging so they are easily mixed up i am sure. i picked this bar up at dan’s on wasatch blvd!

Coco Knudson July 11, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Girl!!!! I hope you feel better. It’s never fun to be under the weather!. Keep your belly happy with some more of that awesome looking ham and cheese sandos with tomato soup.mmmmmm.
I love your protein oat concoction. I gottta try some! I hope all is well!!!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) July 11, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I always play the “in bed” game too, it definitely makes all the fortunes sooo hilarious, agreed! And hmm, favorite take-out would have to be mexican? Or pizza maybe!!! You know I have serious love for hot tortilla chips, guac and salsa!!!

And yum, the mid-stir baking shots look amazinggg….send me some of those vegan muffins, please?! :) I’d make some myself….but i’d probably mess SOMETHING in the recipe up.

Ohh, and what kind of bagels do you use again!? I always love your bagel sandwiches!

Meredith July 11, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hope you’re feeling better!
That bar looks really good.

Rosalie July 12, 2009 at 7:51 am

“in bed” or “in my pants” are always fun additions to fortunes ;p

my favorite take-out is probably pizza too!

Lara (Thinspired) July 12, 2009 at 2:22 pm

OH. My. Goodness. I can’t look at those Chinese food photos for too long. It is my absolute weakness! It looks so incredible. Definitely my favorite takeout!

Danica July 12, 2009 at 8:15 pm

YUM to all your eats and chinese food! I do love won ton soup when I am sick.

Hope you get better soon!

Sweet and Fit July 13, 2009 at 7:24 am

1. yes! I say “in bed” hehe

2. m fav kinda takeout it sushi and miso soup

3. your vegan choc chip banana muffins look amazing!