sick? really?

by Janetha on July 8, 2009

in meals,moves

i thought that getting my tonsils out would stop these sore throats.. um. went to bed last night with a sore-ish throat.. woke up this morning with a full blown one. grumble.  the weird thing is, after my 5k i got sick like this as well.. right when i should be in prime health BAM i get some gnar sore throat. what gives? maybe all the stress i have had, all the crying i have done, the lack of sleep.. dunno?

let’s talk meals and moves, shall we?

MONDAY!

meals_thumb

breakfast was at the usual monday morning sales meeting..i got egg beaters+onion+ham, 3 silver dollar whole wheat pancakes & coffee

meals 065 meals 001

missed the pancakes photo but i ate them dry.

ummm let’s see if i can remember, lunch…

veggies & hummus

meals 066

yapple sauce (greek yogurt, apple sauce, enough cinnamon to make k blush)

meals 067

meals 068

work work work.. lalala.. work was hell, it is hard to act like you are fine when you are not. it is weird.

post work and pre workout i had some natures path optimum whole grain flakes + almond milk

meals 069

and a protein shake made with almond milk+EAS chocolate protein powder. that is it. i freaking love the taste of that protein powder. people think i am crazy.

meals 070

hummmm then what? yes, my workout!

moves_thumb

i did a lower body workout body for life style:

warm up 5 min treadmill

hamstrings & abs

• dumbbell deadlifts
    • 12 reps w/ 30#
    • 50 ball crunches
    • 10 reps w/ 40#
    • 50 call crunches
    • 8 reps w/ 50#
    • 50 oblique twists on stability ball holding 10# medicine ball, arms stiff
    • 6 reps w/ 60#
    • 50 oblique twists on stability ball holding 10# medicine ball, arms stiff
    • 12 reps w/ 20#
  • stability ball hamstring curls
    • 12 reps

1 minute jumping jacks

quads & abs/lower back/butt

• bulgarian split squats holding dumbbells
    • 12 reps each leg w/ 10#
    • 50 bicycle crunches
    • 10 reps each leg w/ 15#
    • 50 bicycle crunches
    • 8 reps each leg w/ 20#
    • 50 butt lifts with shoulders resting on stability ball
    • 6 reps each leg w/ 25#
    • 50 butt lifts with shoulders resting on stability ball
    • 12 reps w/ 15#
  • squats w/ dumbbells on bosu ball
    • 12 reps w/ 15#

1 minute jumping jacks

calves & abs

• single leg calf raises w/ dumbbells
    • 12 reps each leg no weight
    • 25 bench tuck crunches
    • 10 reps each leg 5#
    • 25 bench tuck crunches
    • 8 reps each leg 7.5#
    • 25 bench tuck crunches
    • 6 reps each leg 10#
    • 25 bench tuck crunches
  • seated calf raises
    • 12 reps @ 170#

the end! i worked out in my mom’s gym so penelope was attacking my pony tail and laying on me every time i laid down to do ab work! it was hilarious, i probably burned more calories laughing at her than by doing the crunches!

this took me about 45 minutes and i burned around 270 calories, i can’t remember the exact numbers.. my max HR was only around 160 and my average HR was in the 140s.. need to kick it up a notch during the strength training. this can be done with step up/bursts next time.

back to eats!

meals_thumb

too tired to make a recipe page so i will later, but i made mexican lasagna & rice+black bean pilaf..

meals 090

this was dank. so so dank.

the layers consisted of:

layer 1: whole wheat tortillas

meals 078

layer 2: turkey burger+onion+green pepper+green chile+corn+cumin+corriander

meals 079

layer 3: tomatillo+avocado+garlic+jalepeno+honey sauce (that i made with my new food processor!)

meals 080

layer 4: colby jack

meals 082

times two, baked, not fried.

meals 086

the pilaf had rice, black beans, seasoning, diced tomatoes.

meals 084

‘twas good eats. garnished it with some olives, lettuce & SC.

meals 089

my family loved it and my nieces loved helping me make the meal!

meals 081

i really wish they lived here.

and i got my gallon of water in. booya.

TUESDAY!

like i said, woke up sick. WTF?

meals_thumb

breakfast was a bowl of oats i shall now refer to as no bake cookie protein oats.. yes i cooked them but they tasted just like a no bake cookie..

meals 091

in the bowl:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
  • splash of almond milk
  • 1 Tb PB

mixed all together it tastes like a big cookie.

meals 092

lunch was going to be leftovers but i was feeling sorry for myself and my mom, sister and 3 cute nieces came to my office for a visit.

so we decided to go to joni’s deli for lunch. home of the very best philly in the SLC. at least i got it sans cheese and mayo, right? ;)

chicken philly

meals 093

i ate every last bit of the white breaded monster. looks big, eh? it was probably 6”long. (TWSS? haaa)

my dessert:

meals 094

blah. feeling ill. didn’t take photos of my grazing eats the rest of the day. i just felt too crappy and didn’t even have a proper meal to photograph. i just grazed until the cows came home! some things included:

• fuji apple
  • PB puffins+nature’s path optimum flakes
  • PB&A nut mix from TJ’s (thanks danica)
  • veggies & hummus
  • few bites of turkey burger spaghetti sauce straight from the pan (my mom made it for the kiddos)
  • handful of kashi go lean
  • 17 pounds of watermelon
  • 1 slice of bread
  • 30 calorie popsicle

hmmmm.. that seems like a long list. whatevs. it was not a lot of food though.. ha!

then i wanted to work out SO bad.. went down to my mom’s treadmill..

moves_thumb

i walked for a mile at 10 incline most of the time. took about 16 minutes. exercise fail. meh.

then my mom and sisters went and saw my sister’s keeper.. it was good, not as great as i had heard.. but i am not a crying type at movie’s and that type of movie is just kinda whatevs to me. i liked it, but wouldn’t see it again.

came to marshall’s to find his roomie drawing me an owl! i am stoked to see how the painting turns out. i have been wanting an owl to hang in my room for awhile now. yay!

also found out his other roomie who is getting hitched in seattle in september is getting us all tickets to see the get up kids the night before the wedding. holler!

oh and i was a little hungry when i got here so i had some:

• bites of leftover mexican lasagne
  • 1/4 piece of naan
  • ONE piece of chicken tikka masala..that is what marshall had.. he saved me ONE 1” square piece. hah. thanks babe!
  • one bite of a vegan peanut butter bar that i made on the 4th

here i am. i only had 72 oz to drink today.. it is so hard for me to chug water when my throat hurts :(

hopefully tomorrow brings better health and a good upper body workout! i am back on the weight lifting wagon..i’ll be damned if a sore throat stops me ;)

questions!

1. who is your favorite person to cook/prepare meals/bake with? i am digging my nieces’ help lately! 3 good kitchen helpers!

2. have y’all seen the preview for julia & julie? looks so cute! food blogs and cooking and oh me oh my!

ok so that wasn’t really a question but hey, worth mentioning!

xo, janetha b.

Emily July 8, 2009 at 6:33 am

Oh dear, I hope you are feeling better! Being sick in the summer is the worst. Get some rest, drink some tea.

I always loved to cook with my dad. He would be in the kitchen all sunday afternoon, making tomato sauce, caponata, meatballs, all that stuff. Fond memories!

emilydh211 July 8, 2009 at 6:57 am

hey hey girl!
sooo sorry that you are feeling sick again, you would think that since you are tonsil-less you would be able to avoid the nasty sore throat thing.

I have not seen the preview for that movie, but now that you mention it, I guess I will just HAVE to youtube it and get back to you on the one!

Oh yeah, and am I imagining it or do you love owls as much as I do?! They are totally my fave and I have been wanting to get a tattoo of one soon…Im jealous that you have an artistic friend to draw you a cool one. I wanna see pictures of it!

Hope your having a great day <3

Holly July 8, 2009 at 7:41 am

yapple sauce? i could not love that MORE! that lasagna casserole looks mighty fine too – just like that awesome workout of yours!

sorry you are feeling sick – you take care of yourself dear and get bettah.

is it weird that i like cooking by myself? haha. cooking with mom is good too (when we clearly define our roles so no fights ensue :). i want to see julie & julia sooo bad – haven’t seen previews but lookin’ forward to it.

happy humpday girl!

Sarah W. July 8, 2009 at 7:41 am

wow your workout looks like it would take more than 45 mins to complete! but if you’re doing it in your own gym then I supopse you could be faster than having to work around ppl in a crowded gym :)

I’ve been doing weight circuits w/ 5 min cardio blasts inbetween. so basically I do 5 min warmup, 1 set, 5 mins, 2nd set, 5 mins, 3rd set, 5 mins, then 30:60 HIIT x 10, 5 min cooldown.

LOVING it :) I actually need to think of a new weight plan come July 20 to intertwine with my upcoming series of 4-10mi trail races beginning Oct 11 so Lara and I are gonna start “officially” training on July 20 – eeeeeek. I think I’m gonna try to do 2 upper and 2 lower days but who knows……hrmph!

insideiamdancing July 8, 2009 at 7:44 am

sorry you are sick! I’d get checked Janetha- I had my tonsils out and they grew back. I kid you not. Weird bodily parts that have been yanked out should not re-sprout, but there ya go :P

The lasagne sounds great! Your niece is so cute helping :) And those oats are ON MY LIST to make, pronto. I finally got a Hugh Jass tub of vanilla whey and am psyched to try some jazzy experiments.

1. who is your favorite person to cook/prepare meals/bake with? my mommy!

2. have y’all seen the preview for julia & julie? no- what? I need to google this…I don’t have a TV that works, never mind one that shows American TV!

carolinebee July 8, 2009 at 7:53 am

Aw i hope u feel better! I totally JUST saw that blender/shaker thing at my health food store and i was gonna ask if any bloggies have tried or used it! I must have one :D

jenngirl July 8, 2009 at 8:09 am

hope your throat gets to feeling better!!

I’m so impressed by your workout/lifting session, hardcore indeed ;)

I love to prepare meals for my family, mainly because I can fix healthy things for them that they never think to eat!

I haven’t heard of Julia and Julie?? Sounds interesting :)

ksgoodeats July 8, 2009 at 8:32 am

Booooo to the sore throat!! Have some whiskey ;)

Oh girl, you know how to lay down the cinnamon! It makes me so proud! Your Mexicano dinner looks bueno! I need to try those oats – no bake cookies are so good!!

1. No one! The kitchen is ‘my’ place and I like to just get in the zone.
2. I’ve seen one preview but I’m kind of excited to see Bruno ;)

Susan July 8, 2009 at 8:32 am

Ha, I just wrote about stress events and getting sick. It’s no surprise you’re feeling crappy. Make sure you get lots of rest, sleep and good food! You’ll be feeling better in no time ;)

That Mexian lasagna looks aaaawesome. I’ve only just discovered those things and need to try making one.

I love your body for life workouts! My HR is always low for lifting workouts too – especially since a lot of it I’m sitting or reclined, which immediately drops my HR by at least 20 bpm. But don’t forget the afterburn! :P

Omg, I freak out everytime I see the Julia Child preview. I can’t wait to see it!!!

Erin July 8, 2009 at 9:09 am

I did see that movie preview and it looks interesting. I’ll pretty much see anything Meryl Streep is in tho.

I like cooking solo unless DH wants to help chop veggies. I’m impatient and I rush. He’s patient and does a better job than me.

And honey, feel better! Eat more of that Mexican lasagna loveliness!

Angharad July 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

No doubt. That lasagne thingy looks so bloody good! I need to make me one of them pronto!

Sorry you’re feeling poop. There’s nothing worse when you want to work out/bounce around the place like normal and your body is all, “um, no”. Rest up!

I like preparing meals with the hub. Don’t love cooking with him though since our kitchen is matchbox size and it gets waaaay stressful. I prefer sitting in the living room suppin wine and chopping while he works his magic!

Have seen the previews – well excited! I saw the preview during the trailers for My Sister’s Keeper which was so meh that I wished I was watching J&J. Food blogger must-see!

Hope you feel better soon!

Anne K. July 8, 2009 at 9:47 am

Sorry you’re feeling sick. Sometimes such an intense exercise program or hard effort (like a race) will weaken the immune system temporarily. Also, stress and trauma can have something to do with it too. Hang in there, love <3

That yapple sauce looks delish! I have to try that. Love your mexican meal, too.

Ahaha, an owl? That's cool! I wanna see a pic of it when it's done :D

1) I love making meals with my sister

2) No, I haven't heard of it! I need to check it out :)

Feel better soon!

Danica July 8, 2009 at 11:14 am

That sucks that you are getting sick but I hope you feel better soon – sending get well vibes your way. I am sure it’s a combination of everything and stress does make your immune system weak.

Fantastic Mexican lasagna recipe – was drooling all over my key board.

Your workout kicks butt as usual!

julie July 8, 2009 at 11:19 am

girl you KILLED that workout!

umm so when are you cooking Mexican lasagna again..because I’m coming for dinner haha.

I wanna see Julia & Julie! …they wrote it about me…
haha i wish..

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm

that mexican lasagna looks amazing! feel better soon!

Kailey July 8, 2009 at 4:42 pm

gahh im sorry about your sore throat!! those are never fun to wake up too!

mm tuesday’s breakfast is totally making me hungry!

Lauren July 8, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Hope you’re feeling better!

The “yapple” sauce is genius… great combination of flavors.

Your mexican lasagna looks incredible as well – I love the tomatillo/avocado sauce!

Graze With Me July 8, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Hope you feel better. I just perused all pages of your blog and holy crap girl! You are BUFF. I’m jealous. Crazy x ray pic of your arm too, damn…

LOVE that mexican lasagna too – great idea!

kristi (sweet cheeks) July 8, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Hey! I just recently stumbled upon your blog and am in love with it! Your Body For Life progress is so inspiring!! Keep up the awesome work! :D

burpexcuzme July 8, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Oh, you poor girl, Janetha! I do hope you feel much better today! *HUGS*
but on a brighter note..that mexican lasagna looks freaking amazing, and so does and rice and beans pilaf!
And truthfully, I don’t like cooking with other people…I like my own space when I’m cooking, and unless the person knows what she/he is doing, I find I have to spend a lot of time explaining and end up spending double the time and energy in the kitchen!

gymratfoodie July 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm

:D That lasagna recipe looks great. Loved that your nieces helped you.

(I totally have nights when I just graze before, during and after dinner. Hahaha.)

I like cooking with my mom! She’s really unpicky and will eat anything I make.

April (Foods of April) July 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I hope you feel better soon!

Awesome workout! I HATE working my legs.. so your pretty much my idol! haha

P.S. Your on my blogroll now!

broccolihut July 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Impressive Mexican casserole!
Feel better soon.

Tina July 9, 2009 at 1:16 am

Purple cauliflower is tha bomb! Ok, seriously, you have to tell me how you do that!

Hope you get better soon, the weird thing is that everyone seems to get sick when it starts getting warmer :S

My favourit person to cook with is…uhm… I’ve never cooked with anyone before.. oh wait, I have baked a couple of things with friends. That’s always fun.

Take care, sweetie xx

Lara (Thinspired) July 9, 2009 at 2:40 am

Oh, I’m so jealous that you got a food processor!
I’m so sorry about the sore throat. That is my “weak link,” too. It’s always the first thing to start whenI get sick. Keep guzzling that Airborne, girl. I believe it works!

CaSaundra July 9, 2009 at 9:16 am

Hey! Just found your blog–you seem like such a fun lovin’ girly! Looking forward to reading more posts =)

homegirlcaneat July 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm

oH NOOOOO I hope you are feeling better today! Hit up bitch loads of Emergen-C!

However, that Mexican fiesta dish looks simply amazing! I want to make it! I want to make it!

Your nieces sound adorb. I love little girls! They are so innocent and just look up to older girls so much for guidance!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) July 9, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I hope you are feeling better today, get some CITRUS in yaaaaa…it always gets the job done!

But that mexican dish with the layered whole wheat tortillas and side of mexican-style rice looks amazing. I don’t mind seeing some of those leftovers hahahah!

And hmm, gotta mix the apple sauce & greek yog soon. I’m sure it’s good if you loveeee it!

Katie July 9, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hope you feel better soon! I’m also without tonsils, but I tend to get icky sore, scratchy throats when certain allergens are in the air.

Cooking with your nieces looks like so much fun. I bet they loved it, too.

runningyogini July 10, 2009 at 8:43 am

Sorry you’re sick :-( I hope you feel better very very soon!!! I use airborne too!! I recently tried elderberry extract and I think it helped a lot!! I can’t remember the brand right now…hmmmm. Oh and that bake looks CRAZY good!!!