good times have been had!

by Janetha on July 1, 2009

in meals,moves

hey everybody! i haven’t posted in a minute and i have let my google reader creep up on me, but i have lots of pictures to prove i have been too busy for blogland.. heaven forbid.

before i dive into all that, i want to send out a really gigantic THANK YOU to each and every one of you who posted a comment regarding my shameful falling of the workout wagon post.  you guys have no idea how many times i smiled every time my blackberry made the UFO noise (means i have a new email) and it was a comment from one of you fantastic ladies encouraging me to be ok with what has happened and to be motivated to change the pattern i’ve fallen into. I LOVE YOU GUYS. f’reals.

ok ok mushy part over.. promise.

now grab a snack, this is gonna be a lonnng one. kind of like randy the basset hound.

randy

circa june 2007.

TUESDAY!

breakfast was a parfait ala k minus the fancy glass but plus some baskalicious sunlight..

6-30-09 001

this bowl had fage, banana nut vitatop & glob ‘o’ PB

6-30-09 002

yummalicious!

okay, moving onto lunch. you are going to think i am some strange freakish child.. which is probably true.. but i literally had nothing to work with from the work kitchen when lunch came. i went to the freezer and found some TJ’s turkey meatballs so i broke 4 of those up, chopped up some orange cauliflower and stirred that together with a laughing cow light wedge and also some TJ’s red pepper spread.. heated it all up and mixed it together into a hot mess:

6-30-09 003

seriously this looks horrible, right? well let me tell you what.. it was defreakinglicious!!! who knew?

6-30-09 004

6-30-09 006

yep. ugly lunches sometimes taste the best.

then i went home early (only worked 6 hours and was off by 2) to change for lagoon! which is the only amusement park here in utah.

while at home, i ate two 30 calorie popsicles because it was 98 degrees outside..

6-30-09 019

can’t you see the heat penetrating through the door? penetrating is such a good word. i think i had some mixed nuts and calcium chews and a few PB filled pretzels while at home too.

got to lagoon and hung out for awhile, rode some rides, ate this bad boy.. or bad girl, perhaps:

6-30-09 052

it was absolutely melted.

rode some more rides, cringed in pain as my sunburned back rubbed up against the seat back of the jerky rides, won some stuffed animals for the kiddos, got mega hungry and found the only healthy option in the park..subway!

my mom and i split a 6” soo i had a 3” double turkey on wheat with mustard, vinegar, s&p and allll the veggies available

6-30-09 053

my bro in law wanted to take a photo of me stuffing my face. sure, ok.

6-30-09 054

hey guys, i can fit my fist in my mouth. true story.

then we went on the ferris wheel.. here are some shots from above, just for kicks

6-30-09 058

6-30-09 060

i rode in the gondola with my brother and niece

6-30-09 056

his moustache is so creepy. he thinks it is rad.

then guess what? i did something crazy. well, maybe you don’t think it is but i sure did. fun and crazy. some weird slingshot thaaang. my dad paid for all of 6 of us grown up kids to do it. sooo let’s see, that added up to $120 of crazy. thanks daddyo!

6-30-09 064

my sister and i getting ready.

6-30-09 069

and then they shoot you a million miles into the air. it was fun. but the upside down spinning part made me a little nauseous. maybe i am getting old? but it was fun! and my sister was screaming the whole time, i was laughing hysterically!

as if that was not enough fun.. my mom decided to pay for us to do the skycoaster.. i had done this one 3 times before. love it. but one person who hadn’t done it was my 8 year old niece, kaylee. but she is brave and decided she wanted to do this. it pulls you up 150 feet and you have a 60 foot vertical drop at 55 mile per hour. swwwweeeet!

6-30-09 082

6-30-09 085

my sister, brother and bro in law also went.. you go 3 at a time.

this is when kaylee started saying “nevermind, i changed my mind, i don’t want to do this!!” and she was crying, it was a little sad. it would be ultra scary for an 8 year old.. for sure.

6-30-09 092

6-30-09 100

pulling us up to the top! and then when we got to the very tip i pulled the rip cord and we went plummeting to the ground, and then swung back upward right before hitting the pavement.

6-30-09 101

flying!

that was sooo fun. thanks mom!

and then we went on some more rides and i ended the night with one of my faves..

banana split dippin dots!

6-30-09 115 6-30-09 118

it’s the ice cream of the future, ya know.

WEDNESDAY!

woke up today with a new mission. new goals. new attitude. new outlook. time to whip my butt back into shape, time to look like i did on november 22, 2008. when i could run for a minute and a half at 10 mph with my shortie legs and i could squat my own weight for 10 reps..

inspiration ugh

this photo above has been my laptop desktop background since last april. haha.. visual motivation works well with me!

this is how i am looking now. i am posting this stuff because it keeps me accountable.

1-5-09 006

*edited to add* no,  don’t think i look bad or fat or anything negative in this photo! i am a hell of a lot better looking now than i was when i was 25 LBs overweight. i am simply posting this for myself, as a motivational factor to get back into working out regularly and eating clean 6 days a week (i always take a free day to eat whaevs).. plus when the jeans i bought in november do not fit me.. that is how i know it is time to do something about it. i dont use the scale and i dont care how much i weigh, but i do care if those $100 jeans don’t fit! so that is my reason, thanks for the nice comments so far, i didn’t want you guys to get the wrong impression and have me thinking i was down on myself for how i look. totally not the case, i just want to get back into prime running, lifting and jeans-wearing shape!

anyway.. today was a new day and i had the decision to eat clean and go to the gym or to eat cake and ice cream and go straight home afterward. you will see what i picked when i get to tonight.. but first, today’s other eats.

breakfast was unphotographed because my camera was MIA for the first part of the day. but i had a bowl of protein oats with 1/3 cup oats, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, water, splash of almond milk, 1/3 a banana and some PB2. delish!

when lunchtime came i had to go to the store. i was out of frozen protein options, out of produce, out of errrything! so i went to whole foods, did a little shopping, got a few sale items like annie’s mustards and oikos greek yogurt.. but for lunch i grabbed a salad

7-1-09 002

• chicken
  • cabbage
  • celery
  • sunflower seeds

topped with this stuff:

7-1-09 001

and some balsamic vinegar as well

7-1-09 006

i was a little let down to find the whole foods salad bar was out of cucumbers, mushrooms, beets and some other main staple veggies.  but it was still fab!

i worked long hours today to make up for the missed work monday and tuesday. i was at work until 6 PM.. i had a snack to tide me over:

7-1-09 007

pink ladies are so nom nom nommmmmmmm.

and then i went to my friend’s little girl’s first birthday partay!

7-1-09 014

7-1-09 021

wanna know what is weird? i wore this volcom dress to work today, totally unplanned, but the first day i met this little girl in the hospital i was wearing this same dress! weird! and i haven’t worn it since last summer. random. here i am last year in it:

kaia

time flies!

i had a chicken kebab, veggies & camera shy chips & salsa:

7-1-09 008

and then we did the whole gift opening thang. and then the cake was busted out along with the ice cream.

7-1-09 026

as much as i wanted to stay and enjoy some vanilla bean ice cream.. since it is “national creative ice cream flavor day”.. i passed and headed to the gym instead!

yess. good job janetha b!

OH! i finally got my heart rate monitor that was on back order from my birthday! i got a polar f7 thanks to anne’s suggestion!

since it was already 9 PM i just did a 20 minute high intensity interval session on the treadmill and tested out the new monitor! i had never used one before. this is my summary:

duration: 22 minutes

distance: 2.23 miles

calories burned: 162

average HR: 146

max HR: 177

so i have no idea what the average and max HR significances are.. i have never monitored my heart rate before.. i usually just work out and call it good. it is nice to know how many calories burned, but if anyone has any tips on how i can learn about what the significance of my HR is.. that would be rad. i know my max HR is 220-26=194.. and i should work out between 65%-80% of that.. but that is as far as my knowledge goes!

when i got home from the gym i waited a bit and then had a protein shake with

• UVAB
  • chocolate protein powder
  • 1/2 banana
  • ice

7-1-09 039

yep that is the radical shirt i got at strut your mutt in may.

i also made a goal to get back to my drinking a gallon of water a day.. i hit my gallon today thanks to my contigos.

and now i have just been typing this marathon of a post for like an hour! whew! if you got all the way through it pat yourself on the back cause that was looonnnnng!

since you made it this far, i must tell you about some giveaways!

and i know this blog is SO long, i do have some questions to answer from a few posts ago that i spaced.. yeah, i asked you to ask me questions and then i spaced the answers! but i will save it for a day i have nothing to talk about :D

as for now.. i ask you this:

4th of july plans?!

the weekend is almost here! i have friday off so tomorrow is like my friday. super stoked! what are you all getting into this weekend? do you have friday off? any fun plans??

oh and happy canada day to my canadian loves! even though the country hates me and deported me in february 2007.. but that is a story for another day…

LOVES! xo janetha b.

mayapamela July 2, 2009 at 1:10 am

Damn girl, don’t stress you still got abs! That lunch mess, though not particularly photogenic, does sound delicious, I definitely want to try and throw laughing cow, sauce, and veggie burgers in a bowl now.

Banana split dippin dots…it’s been too long. I’ll have to reconnect with my futuristic ice cream love!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) July 2, 2009 at 1:40 am

Janethaaaaaa!!!! Is that a before and after shot??….because you look incredibly ripped, cut, clean, etc in BOTH!! Whatever you do is working just fineee, do NOT beat yourself up! :)

And that mess of a lunch actually sounds pretty tasty! What wouldn’t be tasty with some laughing cow cheese, veggies & balls?!

PS- That parfait a la k picture is making me drooooooool, looks so good. Damn EXPENSIVE vitatops.

Kailey July 2, 2009 at 5:13 am

I still think your in fabulous shape!! If I had your abs I would be sooo happy :) haha

sounds like you had a great time at the amusement park! love those dip n’ dots type ice cream!

virginia July 2, 2009 at 5:19 am

i still think you look hot so don’t beat yourself up like that! seriously! we are our own worst critics, ya know. you look great! if i had your body i would jump for freakin’ joy!

what a cute baby!!

Susan July 2, 2009 at 6:07 am

You HAVE to share your Canada story some day!!!

Okay, first, I honestly thought that second body shot of you was from the same time period. You’ve got a rockin’ bod Janetha!! I think it may be one of those instances where no one can really notice the difference but you. However, you gotta do what makes you feel great, and I know there is no better feeling than a day of clean eating and a tough workout :)

You’ll know what to do with the max/avg HRs as time goes on and you get more used to seeing the numbers. I was kind of lost with it at first too, but I can now recognize how hard I’m pushing based on my HR. It’s different for everyone.

Some other random notes: LOVE the Randy picture. Basset hounds are heavy as hell, I can imagine that wasn’t comfy! Your friend’s kid is SO CUTE. I just “awwed” out loud. Baba ghanoush is awesome, almost as awesome as hummus. And just looking at your pictures from the theme park made me nauseous. I bet I would have been screaming/crying more than the 8 year old.

Emily July 2, 2009 at 6:12 am

Wow! You still look amazing! I say, if you can eat all the ice cream you want and look that smokin’, aint’ nothin wrong with that! How in the world did you manage to wrangle Trader Joe’s stuff here in Utah–you must be a travel shopper like me :) And p.s. you are crazy!! Never in a million years would you get me on either of those freaky-ass rides at Lagoon. I would wet myself!

Em July 2, 2009 at 6:38 am

Holy Crap-ola those are some killer abs girl! You should start your own workout videos, like John Basedow…even if the workout was a load of crap you could still sell people with that picture as the DVD cover. haha

Those rides look SUPER scary, but SUPER fun. I love stuff like that, have you ever tried sky diving?!

You + Kids lately = super cute. where do you find all these adorable children to pose with you in pictures?!

Ok thats enough random a$$ comments on this post for now, i suppose. Hope your having a wonderful day.

P.S. I want my comments to come to my blackberry! how do you do that?! Is it only a wordpress thing? I’m looking into it…

Sarah W. July 2, 2009 at 7:08 am

I’m amazed that you still have your abs – you’re def not far off from Nov at all – esp since you’ve maintained your abs and we all know abs are made in the kitch! I hear ya on pants not fitting – that is my current goal – down about 4lbs in 2.5 weeks so I’m pretty happy with that pace! Just need to keep it up – this LOSE IT app for the Iphone is my FAVORITE and I think it tracks my cals (I’m a calorie counter) way better than nutridiary.com did – obvi since I’m making better progress. At the very least it makes me concious about what i’m eating, and how many cals that adds up to! As a short chick, 5’4″ my dieting cals are way low, so if I want to eat more, I know I need to workout – not a bad thing at all! love love love this app!

I also am a weigher, but I know not to take what the scale says to heart, to much. I just like to see the number go down, b/c I KNOW I can (and need to) lose SOME lbs at least – but you’re right – the way the clothes fit matters more. just shooting to get back into my size 6/4s so that I don’t have to BUY more clothes – I can be a little green and save some green at the same time :-p

Sarah W. July 2, 2009 at 7:09 am

Oh, let me know how you like your HRM and if it does the job…I’m thinking about asking for one for hanukkah – I’d like to know how many cals I burn doing particular exercises just so I can see how “off” my lose it app is in estimating cals burned for a particular exercise :-p

carolinebee July 2, 2009 at 7:22 am

dude u look GREAT woman :D I understand your desire to get back in “running shape” and just for your personal well-being, so good luck!

ksgoodeats July 2, 2009 at 7:30 am

AWWW the droopy eyes – I LOVE IT! The parfait, the hot mess, I’m all over it!!

Not gonna lie, the word penetrating is one of ‘those words’ that make me cringe. Oh my gosh, I would have peed my pants on those rides. No kidding! Heights and K are like oil and water!

You’ve got a rockin’ bod! Seriously!! That little girl is SO CUTE!!

4th: it’s my bday so BBQs and parties will fulfill my weekend :)

insideiamdancing July 2, 2009 at 7:47 am

Those rides look so cool :D I think I’d be scared for sure, though 10 years ago wouldn’t have hesitated!

YAY for going to the gym- i think you look awesome in the pic! Your niece is so adorable too :D My brother used to have a goatee and thought it was the coolest thing ever- boys/men!

Loving the pink lady, your parfait and that lunch combo!

No idea about heart rate beyond if it’s ticking, you are alive. Sure other bloggers know more about that than me :P

No 4th July plans- my excuse being that I am in Scotland so it’s just another day… ;)

jenngirl July 2, 2009 at 7:55 am

You’ve had a full, fun couple of days! And I must say, I love Subway solely because of their amazing variety of sandwich veggies! :)

I think you are still lookin’ great, I think you have a great mindset, and I have no doubt you will accomplish the goals you set for yourself!

And about the HR thing, I don’t pay it too much attention, I like to keep mine in my “working zone” which is somewhere above 140, but other than that, it doesn’t impact your calorie burn or quality of your workout significantly. It’s a nice base to have, and it’s also good to make sure you don’t go too high.

I’m going to Washington DC tonight for the whole weekend!! Open bar partayy on Saturday, uh ohh ;)

Julie July 2, 2009 at 8:52 am

Your bod is sick girl! How in the world did you get ripped like that!? tipssss pleaseeeeee

That amusement park looked rockin! glad you had a lot of fun there :)

Emily July 2, 2009 at 8:59 am

You should have no problem getting back to the prime shape you want to be in! Looks like you do not have far to go at all!

Ooh, is that grilled pineapple on the kebab? Love.

Hubcap and I both have a long weekend for the 4th, but no special plans. Some beach time must be had, I think. Have fun yourself! Enjoy your faux-friday :)

gymratfoodie July 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm

:D OMG APPLES + PB = best combo evarrr

I completely understand the constant quest to be better faster stronger fitter more muscular. me too :D though currently I look nowhere as lean as you do! I wish you good luck in your goals!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) July 2, 2009 at 1:44 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE amusement parks! and you have a rockin’ bod girl – but if one of your goals is to even better, i say you go girl!

umm…i think the cutest kids awards go to you – between your nieces and the bday party – adorable. that baba ghanouj is also looking pretty adorable too!

Leah July 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I’ve done that rip cord thing! Ah, what a rush it is!!!

Love the photos… you know we’ve talked about BFL before… are you jumping back on that wagon? It works soooo well for you. You look rockin’ now but I completely understand the want and need for a little extra motivation!

You can do it girlie!

Thanks for all the support for my half :)

Courtney July 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm

WOW, RIPCORDING looks amaazzzooor!

Erin July 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Love the shot from the ferris wheel! Aw, ferris wheels are SO fun. Looks like a cool time at the park.

Girl. Is your hair naturally that white? It’s beautiful. And the abs are slammin!

Anne K. July 2, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Love your breakfast! Those banana nut vitas are yummy.

Oh my gosh, that skycoaster looks so much fun!! I wanna go! Haha. And ohhh dippin dots. So awesome.

Dude, you look awesome! You have a great stomach– hello, abs!

Those max HR formulas aren’t that accurate. I know that when I’m working hard, my HR is around the 170 range. At the end of a 5k (when I’m seriously about to throw up and die), my HR has reached 199. An easy effort for me is about 150. So, I’d just experiment with perceived effort and see what works for you, and figure out those ranges.

4th of July plans… a picnic and fireworks with the fam :D

Mom July 2, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Love the photos of you and Boodle, and the same outfit, go figure! Neat Lagoon pics as well. Boo hoo, it is dark and rainy again! Glad you shared some sunlight with us……and yes, you are awesome lookin, i am motivated to find my way to the gym again…..xoxox

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Girl, your body’s bangin just as is! Please remember that no matter what the mirror says to you, you are more than just your body – beautiful as it is. I love that pic of the basset hound – my hubby used to have 2; they are such sweet beasts – and the total opposite of the current whirlwind of a dog i have right now….

tessa July 2, 2009 at 8:09 pm

first off you look amazing right now! but i understand, when i haven’t worked out or eat right in awhile i feel like shiaaat.
but more importantly… can i get at those dip n dots? :)

April (Foods of April) July 2, 2009 at 8:41 pm

For eating ice cream those ab’s are amazing!!

Delicious eats as usual..especially dippin dots!

And you are so brave trying those carnival rides.. you won’t catch me in any of those I’m totally a chicken!

burpexcuzme July 2, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Dang, girl, that is some serious abs. I’m envious!
And what a fun day you had! dipping dots…and all those glorious food! :-)
btw, have you tried the flatbread in subway? They’re SO good.

broccolihut July 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Dippin Dots!! I haven’t had those since about 8th grade. Man, they didn’t have such fancy flavors back then. Sounds like you’ve been having a blast, my dear.

Danica July 5, 2009 at 6:36 pm

You look fantastic in both pictures, but, I absolutely know what you mean….visual motivation does amazing things. You can do it!

I have always wanted to try baba ganoush because I LOVE how it sounds…..but I am not an indian food person….is it good?