a quickie from busy janetha b.

by Janetha on June 24, 2009

in meals,moves

sooo, i have a lot to do and not much to talk about, that works out to be pretty nice for a quickie (TWSS).

TUESDAY!

meals

lunch was not your average salad.  i had some leftover spaghetti meat sauce. i thought to myself.. i have had a burrito salad and loved it. i have had a hamburger salad and loved it. i have had a sloppy joe salad and loved it. so… why not a spaghetti sauce salad? sure, ok!  i kept the sauce cold. it was really good, i promise!

meals 195

then i worked my little heart out for a few hours before breaking down and needing a snack.. i picked greek yogurt+PB2+dried strawberries & nanas.. i would have liked fresh fruit but i didn’t have any at work.

meals 196

looks like a disaster, tastes like a miracle. PB2 mixed with greek yogurt is something words cannot describe.  try it, i dare you.  i actually hadn’t had this forever, but when i had my tonsils out it was something i frequently enjoyed. when i ran out of snacky food at work i used what i had on hand.. and now i remember why i love this combo so much.

after work i devoured some unpictured broccoli, cauliflower & hummus but you all know the looks of that likely snack.

then i worked out!

moves

upper body workout

i did a body for life style upper body workout yesterday. i needed to feel the burn. this is how it went down.

dumbbell chest press:

• 12 reps @ 24#
  • 10 reps @ 30#
  • 8 reps @ 40#
  • 6 reps @ 45#
  • 12 reps @ 24#

dumbbell flyes:

• 12 reps @ 16#

single arm dumbbell rows:

• 12 reps @ 15#
  • 10 reps @ 17.5#
  • 8 reps @ 20#
  • 6 reps @ 25# (to which a girl said “woah, really?”.. um yeah, they are just rows
  • 12 reps @ 15#

bent over barbell rows:

• 12 reps @ 30#

seated shoulder press with dumbbells:

• 12 reps @ 20#

• 10 reps @ 30#
  • 8 reps @ 35#
  • 6 reps @ 40 #
  • 12 reps @ 30 #

dumbbell hammer curls:

• 12 reps @ 20#

i also did some crunches, other ab work and jumping jacks between all these sets. weeee. DOMS in the chest and tris today! yes!

back to the eats!

meals

well originally i was going to use my blackberry reduction to pair with a crusted chicken but i left the sauce at my office in the fridge so i made something totally different, breakfast!

meals 199

i made a batch of protein pancakes using my usual recipe:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 scoop protein powder
  • TONS of cinnamon
  • generous splash of vanilla
  • squirt of agave

and then i added spinach to the mix, a tip i saw on april’s blog! i served the pancakes with an egg+1 egg white scrambled as well as two essentials for the topping..

meals 198

naturally more peanut butter & crunchy almond butter

yum!

then i did some baking & non baking.. it is what i do.

i made blueberry banana muffins

meals 200 meals 201

meals 202

and then i made no bake chocolate oatmeal balls meals 203

meals 204

hope the vegan dudes love them!

WEDNESDAY!

meals

i fulfilled yesterday’s craving this morning with some peanut butter banana protein oats

meals 206 meals 205

i used PB2, that is why there is a lack of creamy PB $hots here. on k’s blog today there was talk of if she mixes her PB2 straight into her yogurt or adds water. as for me, i mix the powder straight into the greek yogurt as well as right into my oats without the added water. the only time i add water to the PB2 is if i am eating it alone, which is not very often since i have 17 other nut butters to choose from when needing an apple topper. ja know?

lunch was good! bbq chicken & pepperjack wrap, veggies+hummus (duh):

meals 209

to make the wrap, i took some chicken i had previously boiled & shredded and i added some annie’s bbq sauce to it, chopped up an ounce of pepperjack and melted it all in the microwave then wrapped it up. lemme just say i am not a fan of the annie’s bbq sauce. bummer, cause it was expensive, and i thought i would like it. but the flavor was just not my thang. oh well, it was still tasty, just not phenomenal like the whole food’s brand of bbq sauce i usually buy (but they were out of).

meals 207 meals 208

gooooey innards!

meals 210

i could never be vegan because i could never ever give up the cheeeeese. for reals.

ok well that is that! i am 6 minutes late as of right now on the good old agenda, so not time for small talk!

question for the vegetarian & vegan readers: what made you decide to be vegetarian/vegan?

i love hearing the reasons people have behind these diet choices. and i want to get to know you better!

and i suppose i better ask something for everyone else too, right? if you were to become vegetarian or vegan, what would be the hardest thing for you to give up? my answer is obv.. cheese!

xoxoxo!

ksgoodeats June 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Here’s your stinkin’ comment ;) I keed, I keed!!

You know I love that Greek/PB2 combo! Haha to the girl who said ‘woah!’ Your Jay Robb biceps must be bursting at the seams now!

Yum to the baking! If the vegan dudes don’t like them I’ll take them!

Powder is the WAY TO GO! I learned my lesson and will never ever try experimenting again!

As for me being a veggie – never liked meat, raw meat skeeves me out, & ethically I can’t imagine eating it any more based on what I’ve seen.

What I couldn’t give up – CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE and Greek yog. Oh and cottage cheese ;)

Emily June 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm

awesome workout!! love some DOMS.

I’m vegan because… it just makes sense for me? I gave up dairy and meat a looong time ago; the last thing I gave up was fish, little over two years ago. all of a sudden FLESH just didn’t appeal to me. giving up dairy was seriously an epiphany; I was never lactose intolerant or anything but my body just felt so much cleaner and happier without it. but I’ll make meat and dairy stuff for the hub. I’m a liberal vegan :)

PB2 totally intrigues me. I’ve never tried it, but I’m PBcurious…

gymratfoodie June 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Hello
I <3 your blog and today I delurk.
I love that you lift heavy. For the most part, I don't think females lift heavy enough.

Hearts,
Rosalie

Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 24, 2009 at 6:06 pm

dude – spaghetti salad? genius!!!

I’ve been on/off vegetarian for years at a time pretty much since I was 14. The last time I did it (around 2 years ago for about a year) it was because I had just been to S. Africa on safari and was amazed at how thoughtful animals were. (Also because they were serving game meats like kudu and warthog and I just couldn’t go there.) I loved being veggie, b/c my husband has been most of his life, but I found myself breaking into a rash sometimes. Turns out I’m slightly allergic to soy and the daily increase in it doesn’t sit well with my skin. So now I try to eat mostly vegetarian, but when I’m not with my hubby I try to get some chicken or fish for protein.

Anne K. June 24, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Love the spaghetti salad idea! And your greek yogurt mix looks so yummy. It looks like a fluffy marshmallow! I love mixing pb2 into greek yogurt.

Love your dessert creations! Those oatmeal balls look delish, and so do the muffins.

I couldn’t become a vegan, cause I’d have to give up greek yogurt! I don’t think I could do it!

Kailey June 24, 2009 at 6:45 pm

protein pancakes + muffins = great eats!!!
The hardest thing to give up if I became vegan would be greek yogurt. Love my Fage 2%

burpexcuzme June 24, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Oh man. spaghetti sauce salad? you’re amazing.
And lol, you and I are the exact SAME. I could NEVER ever become a veg…I can’t imagine life without cheese! Same for yogurt!

snackface June 24, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Ok, I was stoked for the PB balls, but I must answer the Qs!

So, I’ve recently made the switch from vegetarian to vegan. First off, I’ve never liked meat, ever since I was little. Just gags me, and now even looking at it makes me gaggy. Then dairy started to upset my digestive system in high school, so I cut out milk and replaced it. I’d still eat yogurt occasionally, which is really the last thing I had to give up. That and cheese. But there are so many alternatives, and I was never a huge cheese person anyway. I love goat cheese and feta (which I haven’t found vegan versions yet), but gooey cheese pizza or cheese in sammies was never my thang. But I’ve had some rockin’ vegan melty cheese.

This is going to sound bizarre, but I’m going to share anyway. We got a dog a few years ago from a pet store. They were about to send her to the pound, but she was so damn cute and sweet that we snagged her. When we got her home, she didn’t know how to walk. She’d been kept in a crate far too small for her for far too long. She is the most loving thing in the world and I can’t imagine not having her. So now, when I think about eating meat or consuming dairy, I think, “I would never want to hurt my dog by eating her or stripping her of her babies to take milk from her.” I’d never want to hurt her or my other pup in any kind of way, and because I’m uber sensitive, I don’t want to do that to other animals, either.

WHOOOAAAHH that’s what working at VegNews does to a girl, eh? Sorry for leaving a novel! We actually just talked about all this at lunch today.

Anyway, have a lovely night and wonderful Thursday!

broccolihut June 24, 2009 at 10:45 pm

No doubt: cottage cheese!

California Game Design College June 24, 2009 at 10:53 pm

when I think about eating meat or consuming dairy, I think, I would never want to hurt my dog by eating her or stripping her of her babies to take milk from her..I’d never want to hurt her or my other pup in any kind of way, and because I’m umber sensitive, I don’t want to do that to other animals, either.

homegirlcaneat June 24, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Dude, love those oatmeal $$ shots. Das what I’m talkin’ about shawty!

I was a vegetarian for a year because I read The Jungle and was unbelievably grossed out by the meat companies out there! I loved being a veggiewoman..I felt so clean and cool! :) I started eating meat again for no reason..just because I like it occasionally! I never eat it at home or make it but when I go out, I do love me some grilled chicken! YEE!

insideiamdancing June 24, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Greek yogurt would be the hardest thing to give up for me- and also milk. I haven’t found a way to put soy milk in coffee without curdling (but it works in tea- weird!)

I am so excited that my PB2 and protein powder is on the way! Do you cook the protein in the oats or add it afterwards?

have a fabulous Thursday!

mayapamela June 25, 2009 at 1:35 am

I became a vegetarian when I was little, about 4 years old. I ate meat before and my mom said one day I just refused. She thinks I realized what the meat on the table actually was. Sounds like I was just a picky eater–but it really did become about ethics, I used to love hot dogs but didn’t know they were meat and my parents didn’t tell me. When I was 5 my friend told me the truth about hot dogs and I haven’t had one since even though I used to eat them at least 3 times a week. I’m so used to being a vegetarian that I don’t even think about it–but this year I did add fish to my diet. When I come home I plan on cooking more vegan friendly foods.

Susan June 25, 2009 at 4:34 am

Oooh, I like the spinach in pancakes idea!

I was a vegetarian for 8 years, mostly because the idea of eating dead things grossed me out. But as I got older, I started to get used to the idea. I started eating fish again a couple years ago and poultry this past fall. Still not eating red meat yet though. I was also a vegan for a month and it was the most nutritionally devoid month of my life. And expensive. I got really sick during the vegan experiment and couldn’t eat for a few days. When I got my appetite back, all I wanted was a fried egg sandwich with cheddar cheese. So that was the end of that :P

jaime June 25, 2009 at 6:18 am

I have been vegan on-off this year, and made the move to do it as I have very bad dermatitis, and became convinced that dairy was part of it. And, although I do enjoy eating meat occasionally, I usually feel it’s too heavy, and I like to eat lighter meals. I sort of gravitate towards meals which are vegetarian, though not purposely!

I found eating vegan has helped clear up my skin, and I actually feel a lot healthier too. It’s hard at first, cutting out the dairy since i LOVE dairy products far far too much, but I find once I get in a certain mindset, it’s way easy.

Virginia June 25, 2009 at 6:36 am

i became vegan very gradually. it all started when i needed to lose 75 pounds after having 2 kids. i just started eating healthier…more turkey, chicken, low-fat dairy, etc. then after i had lost weight i just wanted to be healthy in general, not necessarily wanting to lose weight. i started doing research and came to my conclusion that i didn’t want meat in my body anymore. we gave up red meat first, then white meat, then fish. after that, i decided to go all the way and become vegan! my husband has supported every step of the way. i know we will be like this the rest of our lives and i love it. i always thought i could never be vegetarian or vegan because i couldn’t “give up” certain foods, but i don’t feel like i am missing anything, i feel like i am *gaining* a lot of good things! we went vegan in January of 2008…the first couple of months we made mistakes like ordering a soup at a restaurant and not realizing there was chicken broth in it, etc….but no one is perfect. we learn new things everyday and are getting better at eating out as we go! =)

Lauren June 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

Unbelievably, I have yet to try PB2. I must find it, because all of these greek yogurt/PB2 combos sound so amazing!

Your bake/no bake goodies look amazing!

Chai June 25, 2009 at 8:22 am

Hi Janetha! I’m a new reader :-)

I am sure you have gotten this question a lot.. but.. can you tell me more about PB2? I looked up their website and I just can’t comprehend powdered PB! Can you tell me what it’s like? What you mix it with to make PB consistency? I am a big Peanut Butter fan, and so I’d love to know more! :-)

Love love loove the blog. I will keep coming back!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 25, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Janetha B! Ya never disappoint, ya never disappoint!

Soooo i’d eat those greek yogurt messes, the pancakes, MUFFINS, protein oats AND veg. version of that bbq chicken wrap….mmm it looks so good!

It was so hilarious last night (random story ahead), so I walked into my friend’s house and was like OMG what did you have for dinner??!….your house smells amazing….and they had had CHICKEN for dinner!! I’m a veg….i’m not supposed to think chicken smells amazing hahaah!!!

But i’ve actually been a vegetarian my whole life! My dad became one in his mid-thirties and raised my bros and I that way, and we’ve never changed our ways!

april June 25, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Where do I start?? Pancakes, yogurt, protein overnight oats, muffins, salads… those are my kind of eats!!

Erin June 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm

When I went veg, giving up bacon was THE hardest thing evah. I did it, but I struggled internally!
Now that I’m omni again, I still think pork is the hardest thing. I love Applegate Farms ham for lunch. and I’d never give up eggs. I’d never make it as a vegan, lol.

Sweet and Fit June 25, 2009 at 9:57 pm

ooooooooh! dizamn! spaghetti sauce salad!!!! Ah-mazing!

Katharina June 26, 2009 at 6:36 am

Let’s see… why did I become a vegetarian? I know that when I was in 9th grade I came across some disturbing videos and articles on animal cruelty. I was never a huge fan of meat anyway, but I did miss my salami! Salami and saltines were one of my favorite snacks.

Now after almost 7 years of being a vegetarian, I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ll ever give up this lifestyle. I think it’s delicious and it’s just right for me :D I don’t really like to impose my ideas on to other people, but I think by living through example (and cooking up some freakin’ awesome tasting vegetarian/vegan food) I can shine a positive light on vegetarianism. Someone also said that they think it’s wonderful that plants will continue to GROW after we pick off their goods hehe.

carolinebee June 26, 2009 at 7:49 am

fro yo!!! Couldn’t live without it :D Probably 90% of the other crap that has milk or dairy in it too that I am unaware of!

dailygoods June 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm

wow girl all your food looks to die for! you are quite the chef little miss :)

Bay Area Colleges August 12, 2009 at 7:03 am

It was so hilarious last night (random story ahead), so I walked into my friend’s house and was like OMG what did you have for dinner? your house smells amazing and they had had CHICKEN for dinner!! I’m a veg. i’m not supposed to think chicken smells amazing…Bay Area Colleges

Engineering colleges in india March 2, 2011 at 2:19 am

Hindustan University is one of the leading Engineering Institutions in India.The University offering undergraduate programs,postgraduate programs in engineering and technology,management.