here comes the sun! (do do do do do)

by Janetha on June 19, 2009

in meals

yes that title is a direct reference to the beatles song, so go ahead and sing along.  today it is FINALLY SUNNY!  after weeks of rain, i think there might be hope for summer just yet.  after all, sunday is the first official day of summer.  and it is also father’s day.  and it is also my friend/roomie jessica’s birthday. and it is also national peaches and cream day.  get stoked.

first off i loved reading all your answers to my questions yesterday! i am curious about a couple kinds of hummus i have not tried and it looks like sabra is the most popular vote. i do love me some sabra. nut butter was the most popular mix in for oats.  duh!

i am in a much more chipper mood today! despite the fact that i am stuck inside an office with no windows (and i manage a company that builds and installs windows—irony at it’s best here people) and the sun is out and i am missing it.. i am ok with that, because it is FRIDAY and i am free in a little over 3 hours!

i guess the retail therapy i just went through didn’t hurt much either.  you guys ever shop on dogfunk.com or backcountry.com?  well, i do.  the warehouse is based here and a slew of my friends work there.. each employee has a “bro code” which they are able to give to their friends, me, and i get super sweet discounts on errrything.  also, they have a few deal-at-a-time websites that are always a great bargain.. they just sell one thing at a time for ultra cheap.  these are them:

• whiskeymilitia.com – this is skate/surf/snowboard brand items..clothes, accessories, bags, glasses, etc. on there right now is a pair of sunglasses.
  • steepandcheap.com – this is more outdoorsy items.. tents, trail running shoes, camel backs, sports bras, etc. on there right now isa women’s hiking backpack
  • chainlove.com – this is bike items, on there right now is a pump
  • brociety.com – this is snowboarding items, on there right now is a snowboarding coat

anyway, if you like a good deal, check out those websites. i am constantly clicking on them throughout the day because the deal changes every 20 or 30 minutes. gotta love the shortcut tabs on firefox.

this is what i got from dogfunk today..

rvca skirt with pockets. anything with pockets wins at life.

skirt

rvca tshirt, it was only ten bucks.. how could i not? rvca is my favorite brand right now.

island

nikita dress.. again with the pockets. love.dress

enjoi tshirt, another cheapy.. i love enjoi products too.enjoi

this shirt was a splurge. it was like $30 for just a tshirt, after my discount, it was like $47 originally! but i am getting REALLY into the brand (insight) and they have the most random garb.  i love this shirt..so different and plus it has a unicorn :)

insight

okay, enough about clothes.. you probably don’t care about all that. how about some food?

sure!

THURSDAY!

last night i was going to make dinner at marshall’s, so i didn’t want to spoil my appetite.  after my snack from yesterday (avocado pita & PB pita) i got a little hungry before the journey to his house (he lives 36 miles from me, yes it sucks.)

i had half of this little number:

meals 065

meals 066

have you guys had the luna cookies? this was my first time. luna cookie virgin right here ladies! i do love luna bars, but these cookies were on sale for like $0.89 so i went for it.  they are 150 calories for two tiny bars of cookie.

the taste was not bad, it was good for sure, but nothing to write home about.  and for 75 calories for one tiny bar (it was probably 1.5” long and 3/4” wide) was not impressive.  i prefer the regular luna bars over the luna cookies. but it was a nice way to tide me over.. just sucked that it was over in two bites.. and it was 75 calories of basically just carbs.  11.5g carbs, 3g fat, 2g protein and 1.5g fiber to be exact.  nothing too amazing there.  oh and 5g sugar.

anyway, moving onto dinner!  i took my fancy knives to marshall’s in the handy carrying travel case. love my knives. they are my babies. haha.. penny and randy might get jealous!

it was already NINE by the time we started cooking, so we went with something simple (and jarred)..

chicken picatta & salad..

i ate all the salad plus more, i ate half the chicken.

meals 054

i pounded the chicken thin with a hammer because marshall has nothing else to pound chicken with.. oh well.. and dredged the chicken breasts in flour and sprinkled them with peppercorn and basil and then sprayed some olive oil pam on a pan and cooked the chicken on either side until it was almost done, then i dumped a bottle of trader joe’s picatta simmer sauce on top and added mushrooms.. yum.  have you guys tried the sauce? sorry, i didnt take a photo of the jar.

meals 051

the sauce is soo good, i stock up on it every time i am in cali at a TJs.  it is only 50 calories a serving and it has capers in it and a delicious lemony flavor.. if you like picatta and are lazy, for sure snag this simmer sauce!

meals 055

the salad had butter lettuce, romaine, cucumbers, red peppers, avocado and mushrooms.  i topped mine with balsamic vinegar and marshall used a delicious but fattening greek dressing he picked up from the local authentic greek place we go to often.

meals 056

he made the salad :) i think he just wanted to use my new knives!

meals 053

marshall secretly loves my food blog, even though he constantly makes fun of me. he even asked me to take a photo of his food so you could all see how much pasta he eats.. he ate all this and then finished all mine because that was just too much breast for me (TWHS)

meals 058

when we got done eating he asked me how many calories i thought he ate, with his soda i estimated at least 1000, but probably closer to 1200 because of the salad dressing.  he grinned.  he loves to rub it in that he can eat 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day and still be lean, cut, etc.. sigh.. he ALSO has krohn’s though which means he is often, uh, getting rid of those calories quickly after eating them (sorry if that is TMI!) so i wouldn’t trade his metabolism for mine!

FRIDAY!

yes, we made it to friday!  i have only had breakfast today.. well i did polish off that other half of the luna cookie while en route to work..

then when i got to the office i had a busy morning because everyone is off today except me!  yeah, one boss in newport, other 2 bosses fishing with the 3 sales reps, one office girl at the amusement park today and the other office girl did not come in until later. what a crappy morning.

i finally managed to get some coffee and make a egg sandwich around 9:30! i was SO hungry by then!

meals 062

• double fiber EM
  • morningstar sausage patty
  • 1 egg+1 egg white
  • LCL wedge melted into the eggs

and some of my buddy here:

meals 064

made for a good sandwich!

meals 063

i just wish those morningstar patties were bigger around, ya know?  oh well, they taste good. plus they are sold at costco an di am a big advocate of buying in bulk :)

okay well this post was only 2 meals but i managed to make it a novel! i better cut myself off before i ramble any longer!

what are you doing for your pops/boyfs/hubbies for fathers day?!

oh and if you haven’t yet.. check out caitlin’s operation beautiful! sooo amazingly rad.

runningyogini June 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I absolutely LOVE that unicorn shirt. It is SO unique!!! This is my first time dropping by your blog :-) Love it! Have a great day!

insideiamdancing June 19, 2009 at 1:29 pm

happy friday/peaches and cream day/start of summer Janetha!

LOVING that dress and t-shirt- pockets are a must, for sure.

Haven’t tried the Luna cookies (did they replace the tea cakes?)- not really a Luna fan :/ Clif/balance bars are my thing. Or real cookies :D

“it was good for sure, but nothing to write home about” TWSS!!!

Boy has Crohn’s but can eat pasta? Or do you use a different one? The chicken looks deliciouso- I’ve never had piccata but chicken marsala rocks my world. Not very often though cause I can’t cook it (aunt’s homemade- can’t be beaten!)

I think Costco also sell veggie burgers in a bigger size for catering purposes- maybe just Boca or Gardenburgers, but worth checking out!

Hope your day is as fab and groovy as you- I’d go nutso in an office with no windows!

Doing nada for Father’s Day- my dad has been living in Italy for 3 years and was supposed to move back today but his passport was stolen so his return homw has been postponed. On the plus side, it means I can get a father’s day card in the ‘reduced’ section next week :P

Run Sarah June 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I love your long posts! I’m glad there’s some sun for you…our weather forecast is rainy and it better not rain on my wedding day next weekend, ahhhhh! I love your morning star breakfast sammy…we don’t have morningstar here :( I need to try them out when I visit the US!

Coco Knudson June 19, 2009 at 2:03 pm

WAGAMAMA WAS UNREAL. So making that place a regular visitation! I got the chili chicken ramen bowl and it rocked my taste buds right off! I thought of you while I ate it!!!!!! Ef Yes on the bomb ass looking home-made egg mcmuffin!!!

Susan June 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm

That is my favourite Beatles song, ever. Please send some of that sushine this way, it’s currently downpouring here!!

LOVE me some pockets too! I have a no buying clothes or food online rule though. It’s a slippery slope I don’t need to go down! :P

My boyfriend does’t let me tally up his calories anymore after I ruined his favourite breakfast. Stupid male metabolisms indeed!!

ksgoodeats June 19, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Retail therapy is ALWAYS welcome in my world! I’ve had those tea cakes before but I like Zbars better even though they’re basically the same thing.

What a great meal! Haha love the TWHS! My friend’s boyfriend has Crohn’s and is the same way – he’s super slim but eats like a horse!

I want that egg mcmuffin! Now I’m craving a breakfast pattie (ew, pattie is such a gross word), THANKS :)

Finally, Basha hummus is a local brand from MI. I haven’t seen it anywhere else but it might be sold under Garden Fresh Gourmet? I’ve heard they have it at Costco.

Danica June 19, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Yahoo for Friday – I totally agree! Ok – I am going to make an attempt to get caught up on your blog :) Work was too much this week – don’t they know a girl needs time to play!

Thanks for the luna cookie review, I’ve always wondered.

LOVE the way you tenderize your chicken – I was cracking up at that picture.

I LOVE Tapatio – it is my hot sauce of choice and the one I use in ALL my egg dishes.

Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 19, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I’m making that breakfast sandwich, and soon! I lovee the sausage patties but never really know what to eat them with!

It’s so adorable that your bf love/hates the blog, i’m sure you two make a cute couple! :)

And for father’s day my bro’s are all coming into town, so we’ll all play tennis and then chow on bagels!!!

happyvegetables June 19, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I for one love to hear about clothes! :) Backcountry & Moosejaw are my faves for basic everyday wear for hiking, camping, cycling, skiing… whatever! Love it!

Kristie June 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I love that song. It makes me think of the movie Parent Trap with the Lohan “twins”, which was one of my all time favourites when I was younger. An obsession almost.

I like seeing your clothing scores! I love clothes. I haven’t bought any in a while now and I’m feeling a little shopping deprived! Wearing a brand new shirt always makes me feel so spiff.

Hammer smashed chicken sounds mighty fine to me. As does being able to be a bottomless pit. Well except for the “side effects”. But seriously, even just one day of eating that many calories would be exciting times. If only haha.

My dad lives out of town so I think we’re going to go visit him and do dinner :)

carolinebee June 19, 2009 at 10:03 pm

LUna cookie are such a rip right!? I love your uber blonde hair so :D

broccolihut June 19, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Hehe, your post title makes me think of one of my favorite Free People T Shirts–it says “Aqui Viene El Sol” (Here comes the sun, in Spanish). Hope you have a great weekend!

Anne K. June 19, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Wow, I’m jealous! It’s totally stormy here. Cute clothes! I love getting great deals. It makes me so happy! Haha.

I love your breakfast sandwich! It looks so yummy. For father’s day, the fam is going up to see my grandparents/extended family. We’ll have a lunch/dinner (linner?) and hang out and stuff. It should be cool. I should probably bake my dad something, too :)

Have a great weekend!

Brooke June 20, 2009 at 1:23 am

Totally agreeing on the luna cookie things. They are TINY and I kind of wish they were round like a cookie. And bigger. OBVI! And I am digging on that pink skirt!! Reminds me of over priced American Apparel. Damn them and their non-usage of sweat shops…TOTALLY JOKING!

No plans yet for the pops day! We will see what shall happen!

snackface June 20, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Ahhh! Just caught up! You did tha damn thang with the banana slices! I just had some, actually.

So, my favorite posts of yours are ones that have pics of your man. Haaa I kid. Kinda. Thanks for the Crohns info. gag. Oh hell, I’d share that sh!t too. No pun intended.

Chicken piccata used to be my absolute favorite meal growing up! We never had it with pasta, or mushrooms, but with capers and the yummy sauce. Mmmm. Can I made tofu piccata? Seitan piccata?

That Luna cookie is something I’ve never had– for your exact reasoning. It’s just not worth it. It’s teeny!

I’m calling my pops. Other than that, I have no idea what to do. It’s a little late to send anything. Whoops.

Have a marvelous Saturday!!

Kailey June 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

im so jealous that its sunny where you are. its been raining for a good week here.
I feel like the luna bar pb flavors are mehh. they really let me down :
great eats though!

burpexcuzme June 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Sigh..the weather was getting a bit better over here, then it just suddenly got all moody. I seriously think this year’s weather has gotten bipolar depression or something.
Cute shirts! LOVE! And man…you’ve had some amazing eats!