if you don’t have anything nice to say…

by Janetha on June 4, 2009

in meals,moves

…then don’t say anything at all.  that is how the saying goes, right?  well i like to look at the cup half full, the bright side of things and i really have an optimistic way of seeing most things in life.  so basically, i think we should revamp the saying to be: “if you have something nice to say…say it!” all too often i am thinking something nice about someone, sometimes a stranger and other times someone i know.  i find myself constantly thinking of nice things about people when i see them, but i rarely spit it out unless they are someone i know.  yesterday i was sitting on the patio of cold stone (more on that later :)  and a woman walked by in a super cute outfit.  usually i would think to myself “wow, i love her outfit. and her purse. and those shoes rock my face off.” and that would be that. but instead, i simply told her. she seemed ultra giddy to get a compliment from a total stranger.  my goal from now on is to tell people what i am thinking when i think it instead of keeping it to myself. who doesn’t love a compliment? it is simple, free and makes someone smile.  and it is genuine.  :D

that is my feel good thought of the day.  now i have a lot to talk about!  i have been turbo busy, going full speed ahead.. honestly i am pretty beat but since it is only thursday i have to keep on keepin on and make it to the weekend!

yesterday i bolted home really quick-like, packed up my stuff for working out and for getting ready today since i stayed at marshall’s. before bolting out the door to head to b.town (aka bountiful aka my home town aka where my parents reside) i decided i HAD to have a snack pre-workout.

apples & PB on the go!

my mom bought me those cute silicone cups, they are meant to use in cooking and baking but i have found they serve as an awesome little nut butter dish to dip my apple wedges in!

classy on the go snackin’!

i got to my mom’s and we did the shred.. it was day 2 for me and day 3 for her.  basically she is ready to throw the dvd out the window.. no..not because it is hard.. but because she can’t stand listening to the same commentary one more time! i don’t blame her.  i think i will have to throw some tuneage on and put the DVD on mute when i shred it up today!  do you guys listen to it over and over or do you put jillian on mute?

after the shred it was time for ICE CREAM!  basically one of my top fives.  my top five foods of all time are, in no order:

1. ice cream
  2. cereal
  3. burritos
  4. hummus
  5. this one i leave open for debate, because i can never decide.. it changes from time to time.. it has recently been sushi, bagels and peanut butter.  don’t hate on the indecisiveness that is janetha b!

so i decided i had to get some running in!  it was national running day, after all! so i hit the ground running.. from my mom’s casa to.. yep, you guess it, cold stone!

it was a quick 2.2 miles and it took me 18 and a half minutes.  not the fastest but for sure not the slowest! i felt fanfreakingtasic afterward!  and i definitely deserved what came next.

love it sized cup of half sweet cream/half coffee, raspberries, almonds & brownie.  yep. i really indulged.  you only turn 26 once, right? ;)

well i was absolutely appalled because i couldn’t finish my ice cream! if you know me, you know i can eat (literally) a half gallon of vanilla bean in one sitting.  i am not joking.  i guess ice cream immediately after a run is not in the cards for me.  but we really had no choice but to get the dessert at 7 pm before the little kiddos (my niece and nephew) had to get to bed!  so it was a backwards way of doing things but i didn’t mind.. ice cream time is anytime!

a lot of my fam was there, we sat outside and enjoyed our treats and my brother and i got some birthday presents! his birthday is two days after mine but he is three years older. i’m the baby. where do you fall in your sibling tree?

birthday kids…i look extra haggard from my sweaty run!!

my stinking cute niece.. she has houndstooth kicks! I AM OBSESSED WITH HOUNDSTOOTH!

yes she dresses herself in car PJs for ice cream dates. she’s so stylish!

my awesome nephews were reeeal excited for their cotton candy cups of goodness!

loving it

i got some fun trader joe’s loot from my sister.. my fave cereal and some corn salsa (i was out!! yes!)

and my mom got me a bobby flay cookbook!  i love that guy.  and also she got me a shirt and threw in some restaurant coupons in a card. she is so funny.  she was like, “they are good coupons! i knew you would use them and i wouldn’t!” haha.. she is right. i am thrifty!

but the BEST GIFT OF ALL came from my parents and was my brand spankin new CAMERA!!!!! YAY!  i have been needing a new one since mine broke in february!  she got me the most amazing canon powershot SD780 IS.. it is 12.1 megaPz and it is solid black and it is insanely tiny.. STOKED TIMES INFINITY PLUS ONE!!!!

thanks mom and dad!

ALSO.. as an added bonusable sidenote.. i have a Polar F7 heart rate monitor on the way! it was back ordered. i can’t WAIT to get it and start using it!

i wanted to say thanks to all my readers who suggested various cameras and HR monitors to me when i was asking.. i took all your thoughts into consideration and i am pretty excited with what i ended up with!

later that night i headed to marshall’s and made dinner.  yeah, dinner after dessert.. it’s casual.  marsh was craving stir fry and since i love to cook.. stir fry he got!

this included:

• chicken
  • eggs (for national egg day!)
  • brown rice
  • broccoli
  • asparagus
  • water chestnuts
  • bamboo shoots
  • green beans
  • green onion
  • bell peppers
  • carrots
  • purple cauliflower!

yes that is right folks, i finally crossed over to the purple side of life and got some of this goodness! it is so pretty :)

the stir fry was the perfect lighter dinner for me since i was not all too hungry from my ice cream extravaganza earlier.  i spent the rest of the night learning about my new camera while marshall read the fourth book of those crappy twilight novels ;) i can’t hate on them, i’ve never read them, so obviously i am just kidding around.. but i definitely have NOT jumped on the all-the-rage bandwagon that is twilight. meh!

ahem!! question about photographing food..

• what ISO do you guys find is the best for food photos?
  • if i have no natural light available what setting should i use to get the best shot?
  • any other camera setting tips?

i have a lot to learn. i haven’t had a good camera since february (it was also a canon power shot) and back then i didn’t ever even THINK about photographing my food.. in fact if you told me back then that in a few short months i would be posing my food for a close up, i would have looked at you like you had three heads. for reals.

so yeah, any tips?

THURSDAY!

breakfast=clean version of the mcmuffin..

double fiber EM + LCL + morning star sausage patty + 1 egg + 1 egg white.. whew.. long title for such a little sandwich!

delicious. and i also did my part in celebrating national cheese day with the LCL!

insert work, work, work, lots of coffee, lots of water chugging (it is thisrty thursday after all) and lots more work here. then i was hungry again!

alternative bagel (my last one!) + LCL (yes again) + turkey + cucumbers + romaine & cauliflower + carrots + sabra!

my boss looked at my plate and was like, “you’re going to eat ALL THAT?!”.. um yeah.. you eat mcdonalds every day of your life and you are hating on my huge pile of noshy goodness? i think this plate of vegetabley love is quite appropriate for a gal like me, thankyouverymuch.

i licked the hummusness clean. what?

OH i have BIG NEWS! well, big news for me.  i have a PACKAGE AT HOME from miss danica’s daily herself :D  and now since the clock has struck 5 i am going to go get all giddy over my special delivery! stay tuned to see what it contains!!!!!!

no time for other news, i have some giveaways to shout about and some other random riff raff to bore you with.. but it is quitting time, so i leave you with a top five question of the day!

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP FIVE FAVE FOODS? pretend like someone is holiding a gun to your head. yes, you must pick. ;)

oh and if anyone can please answer my camera Q’s up there that would be rad! thanks!

xoxo.

Mom June 4, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Totally LOVE the post. I will do the top fave 5 foods but have to run to Farmington, the photos look BEAUTIFUL!! xoxoxo

Megan June 4, 2009 at 7:27 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I love Coldstone.. and your birthday is definitely the best excuse to indulge in it!! I love the pictures.. your hometown looks so beautiful!!

Kristie June 4, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Aww that’s so sweet. I rarely give compliments, I guess I feel awkward about it? But it’s so true, so often you see things about other people you admire etc etc… why not tell them? Have you ever seen someone freak out from getting a compliment? Probably not. I know I always feel ultra special getting a completely random compliment, especially from a stranger. And often you never forget them!

I definitely have those little silicon cups. I love em! They are SO convenient for dips.

I only have one other sib (bro) and he’s the youngster so I’m the oldie of the family!

AWESOME bday gifts. Polar and CAM!! How adorable is that, it really DOES look insanely tiny. Perfect from totting around eeeeeverywhere :)
In terms of setting tips, I’d say just mess around with all of the different settings and see what works best. I change mine all the time. Always the macro setting fo sho for food though. And I change my ISO a lot depending on the lighting available but most often I have it set at 100. Higher if it’s darker but that makes it grainier so I try to get more lighting first. But seriously, just play around! You can’t hurt it that’s for sure haha.

Just five foods, seriously? I don’t freaking know, I LOVE all food! But some that are UP there are: sushi, yogurt, SQUASH, bananas and cereal!

Anne K. June 4, 2009 at 8:28 pm

That’s so cool that you complimented that girl! I’m really shy and would be scared to do it, but random compliments are fun. Maybe I’ll try to get my courage up and give it a shot ;)

That ice cream looks delicious, and your nieces and nephews are so cute! Oh and so are you, of course! Cool camera, and that’s awesome about the heart rate monitor! I hope you like it! That stirfry looks fantastic, too :D

Ooh, only five foods? Okay here we go:
1) oatmeal
2) pumpkin
3) greek yogurt
4) bananas
5) peanut butter

umm…. aka breakfast! Haha! As long as I have my oatmeal or greek yogurt combo, I’m good :D

Oh my camera tip… I always make sure to custom set the white balance! If I don’t my food looks like crap. And that’s about the extent of my camera knowledge!

Have a great night, girl!

carolinebee June 4, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I suck at camera settings, I NEVER use a flash though i hate how the pics come out! Google some camera/food photography websites (at work!) :D What a fantabulous birthday those kiddies are so presh!

Fave foods are BANANAS holla, naan, cereal, ketchup and hummus!

broccolihut June 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Your niece’s shoes rock MY face off.

marisa June 4, 2009 at 11:22 pm

I wish I could have been at Coldstone. These posts make me homesick…but only in the spring and summer- not in the winter. I am glad I get to see pictures and feel like I know what I missed! I was at Costco today and the lady in front of me was buying a 12 or 24 pack of flavored Greek yogurt. Maybe they have it there? I’ll find out more details next time I go. And I’m the oldest kid in my family but not the tallest. I think we’re tied on that one.

Hangry Pants June 5, 2009 at 12:31 am

Happy Belated Birthday!

I love your spontaneous complimenting!!! I like to do that sometimes myself! It just makes people feel good.

Your niece and nephews are too damn cute!!! Your niece is such a sassy one – you can tell!

And I am 4 out of 5!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 5, 2009 at 1:38 am

Happy Birthday girl!! Your coldstone combo sounds heavenlyyy!! So happy that you got part of it in the coffee flavor!! Mmmm, my fave!

And you’re so sweet for wanting to compliment people more often, i’m always trying to do that as well….but sometimes I forget!!

Top 5 (in noooo order), IF I MUST! ;)…. peanut butter, english muffins, hummus, coffee/mocha flavored anythinggg (fro yo, ice cream, lattes..) and UHHH….salsa WITH chips!

Susan June 5, 2009 at 5:10 am

Aww, your fam is so cute!! I’m the baby too, got two older sisters who always complain about how spoiled I am. :P

I have a crappy Kodak camera, but a new one is pretty far down on the “things I need to buy list.” I have it on the automatic ISO setting, and always take pictures with the close-up setting, otherwise it won’t focus. Oh yeah, and I never use a flash, makes everything look like crap!!

LOVE that you ran to the ice cream store! I am ashamed to admit I’ve done that for pizza a couple times!!

Top five foods:
1. Peanut butter
2. Hummus
3. Apples
4. Pita bread
5. Oatmeal

Honourable mentions: cheese and eggs :)

cocoeatsandcritiques June 5, 2009 at 6:16 am

I freaking love Cold Stone, and good choice on the flavors and add-ins!!! I love how they mix it there right infront of you. I may have to venture there sometime soon after reading this post. Your five favs are sooooo up my alley. Love all of those!

cocoeatsandcritiques June 5, 2009 at 6:16 am

P.S. Up! was soooo good! I saw it in 3-D

ksgoodeats June 5, 2009 at 6:45 am

Compliments from total strangers are the best because they’re totally random – I’m sure you made that girl’s day!

You guys look cute at Coldstone! I’m a big fan of their strawberry blonde creation!! Tasty, tasty. SAW-WHEET gifts!!

Purple cauliflower is the best! My store was out of it yesterday :( I can only pick 5?!
1. Greek yogurt
2. Hummus
3. Apples
4. Peanut butter
5. Cheeeeeeeese!

jenngirl June 5, 2009 at 8:06 am

I love that “say something nice” mentality, so true! Compliments are fun to give AND receive :)

I’m the oldest, just one little brother who is 3 years younger than me.

Five favorite foods?? Peanut butter, plain yogurt, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and salmon!…Mmm now I’m hungry

Run Sarah June 5, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog – I am amazed at your transformation, WOW! If only I could have your abs ;) Happy Birthday – you got some awesome gifts!

Nicole June 5, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My top 5 favorite foods.. roasted brussel sprouts, veggie spring rolls, vegan sushi, fruit salad, aaaaaaaand grapes!