porch sitting post!

by Janetha on May 29, 2009

in meals

well.. y’all are freaking geniuses because you are smart enough to pronounce my name!  but i kid you not, just today i had not one, not two, but three mispronunciation/mishearing incidences involving my name.

1. i went to the tonsil doc (everything checked out A-OK by the way!) and the nurse called me back.. “ja-NEH-tha”. wrong.

2. i left a message for a customer at work stating my name, very clearly. she called me back. she asked for denise. um, way wrong.

3. i was on the phone with one of our financing companies and the man i was talking to called me “JAN-a-tha”. wrong again folks!

i made my mom give her name with our lunch order. you can’t mess up “sue”.

that is why i was so surprised and very pleased to see you ALL know how to say my name.. ja-NEEEEEE-tha! holler! my favorite comment was k’s suggesting i may be chaneling my inner viking and pronouncing the J like a Y.. my norwegian friend tonje does that with here name and i think it is adorably perfect.

last night was ultmatey fun! i danced my face up and stayed up way too late and had to work bright and early.. i guess that is what birthday season is all about though, right?? and i am only halfway through it.. ay ay ay!

oh crap, this morning was SUCH a nightmare at work. usually fridays are super mellow and not a lot goes on so i can read blogs catch up on paperwork and quickbooks.  not today! 3 upset customers before i even had my coffee. ugh. and i had a doc appt at 11:15.. guess what? the first time i ate anything was while driving to the doc at 11:00. so it had to be portable: fuji & almond butter!

i had never tried this almond butter.. it can count for my new foods challenge! i really loved it. the flavor was perfect and the creamy factor made me smile. i want to get more so i can try it in some oats!

so after the name malfunction (fail) at the doctor and a clean bill of health, mom and i went for some much needed lunch! at first we tried to go to a place called the himalayan house which has epic indian cuisine.. but after a 15 minute wait we realized time was ticking and we bailed.  not before snapping a photo of my mom in front of her perfect parallel parking job though! yes, you can see where i get my trait of getting joy out of the little things in life :) too bad i dont have said photo, it was on her camera!

so we headed to a quicker lunch spot, a place called caputos.. it is an italian market that also serves sandwiches and salads with a hot daily special.  i went for the greek salad and i added turkey for some protein. mega delicious!

my mom got the broiled salmon salad and this photo does not do justice! it was a bad angle and i think people may have been staring ;)

thanks for lunch madre! xo.

then it was back to the grind for a few more hours.. more drama.. more work.. stayed a little later to get things done. oh–since it is friday i took a bunch of the food i had at work home with me so i could eat it over the weekend, including my newly found delicious hummus!!

soo i went home, found my friends doing some porch sitting and so i joined them on the spot, set my bag of food down and was just chatting away when i look over to see ronin the shiba inu from hell going to town on my beloved hummus!  and not only that, he managed to spill the delicious garbanzo tahini goodness all over the rest of my food. grumble. so yeah, i am out of hummus again! such is life.

my friends had got some items for grilling and i couldn’t be more appreciative! first we grilled some corn on the cob just by coating it in olive oil and some seasoning salt and grilling them in their husks..

it was absolutely amazing! hooray for my first cob of corn this summer!

i wonder why it is called a “cob” anyway? i mean.. why not a core or something?

anyway, i had a few bites of my quinoa & black bean salad i got from WFs yesterday..

and then i made a hamburger salad!

this included:

• spinach
  • 7 lettuce blend
  • black beans
  • cucumber
  • 1 grilled hamburger patty
  • 1 round of babybel cheese
  • plethora of dijon mustard & low sugar ketchup

i was a little bitter about my lack of hummus, since it would have been amazing in this salad. sigh.

then i was craving a little something sweet so i followed susan’s example and had a cinnamon wasa!but i used agave instead of sugar. only got the refined white stuff in the house.. blech.

yuhm! she was right, just like cinnamon toast :)

well now i am going to make like a raspberry and jam out on the front porch with the dudes and dudettes, they screaming at me to get off the laptop.. haha but hey, i knew if i didn’t get this up now i never would because ima be a busy girl tomorrow:

• strut your mutt dog walk/fundraiser/dog PARTY basically i cant wait! penny is missing dog class for this, she’s playin’ hookie!
  • costco for bday bbq items
  • clean the crap out of my 4runner
  • baking treats for the bday bbq
  • date night–yes.. i think we are on the mend :)

oh i have a question! i am having a bbq on monday.. and my vegan boys will be attending. in your opinion..what is the best vegan burger? i haven’t tried many.. im carnivorous ;)

have a great friday night everyone!! xoxo

Anne K. May 29, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Yay I had the right pronunciation! Oh, and that corn on the cob looks delicious.

I really like the Amy’s Bistro burger. It doesn’t pretend to be like a fake meat burger at all. It’s made of brown rice, pinto beans, mushrooms, and veggies. The box says they added a touch of bbq sauce to give it that “just off the grill flavor,” but I actually never noticed that. Haha, can you tell I grabbed the box and have it in front of me? I mainly just taste the yummy brown rice, and maybe the beans.

Anyway, it also has a great texture! It holds together and has a firm outside, but a soft and crumby chewy center. It’s also easy to break over salads. They’re 90 calories, non-dairy, and gluten free. I love them!

carolinebee May 29, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I heard Amy’s and sunshine burgs are boombb dot com, i need to jump on that! My friend’s name is Jenica, and she gets everything from Janiqua..to Janika, haha it’s v. entertaining for her friends at least :D

Em May 29, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I am so glad that I have been saying your name correctly this whole time, my world would have been turned upside if it was something different and I had to change the way I thought your name! haha

You do have a busy day tomorrow, but it sounds like a fun one! Good luck with your walk. Have funzz (the z’s were accidents, but I thought it was kinda cool so I left it) :)

Sarah W. May 29, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Amy’s California or Sunshine burgers are the best!

My mom put me in charge of obtaining veggie burgers for my dad’s upcoming birthday party so I’m going with the Amy’s because sunshine is pretty expensive and our party is big, so 2 boxeso f Amy’s should do me good.

they don’t have much protein, but they are soy-free and whole foods, veggies in the burgers, no chemicals and thats what I looooove

Sarah W. May 29, 2009 at 9:26 pm

not all the amy’s burgers are vegan so be sure to check the box to be sure – I’m pretty sure just the California burger by Amy’s is vegan

mom May 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm

mmmgood!! that corn on the core oops I mean on the cob :) looks so very inviting, we must have that on Sunday don’t you think? Glad everyone got your name correct, love and hugs. (can’t wait to post my rad parking photo!)

Caroline May 29, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Sunshine burgers!!
I did a post all about veggie burgers a while back, called “Burger Bliss,” if you’re interested.

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 30, 2009 at 12:14 am

If the Amy’s California burger is vegan, then get that!! Ahh it’s incredibly divine!

And I think corn isn’t called corn on the ….core, because that just doesn’t sound right! Haha, but that cinnamon wasa does sound like such a tasty snack, and YESS, whenever I read comments from you I always thought the name was read as you explained it!!! I don’t know how people could mess it up, it isn’t THAT hard! :)

Susan May 30, 2009 at 4:20 am

Woo! I’m happy we all got your name right!!! I also like the idea of changing it to yan-ee-tha :P

Hmm, I usually eat Canadian brands of veggie burgers, so I can’t be much of a help. I would advise against garden burgers though. The vegetable bits tend to crumble on the grill.

Cinnamon makes anything taste awesome, no?

ksgoodeats May 30, 2009 at 8:05 am

Denise – HAH! Glad everything is a-okay with the lack of tonsils :)

If my dog attacked my hummus – it wouldn’t be pretty! There would be lots of screaming involved!! You are more patient than I! YUMMMM to the cinnamon wasa! I need to try that stat!

I’m not good on the vegan burgs suggestions because I like it when my veggie burgers DON’T resemble meat so no suggestions here, I’m lameo! Have a great Saturday (especially after that crazy working Friday)!!

Danica May 30, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I LOVE grilled corn – it’s seriously the best! Plus your burger salad :)

I need to try a Kavli cinnamon crisp like that – add some almond butter or pb and wow, I bet that’s amazing too!

My favorite VEGAN burgers are made by Amy’s – they rock – I LOVE the California Burger the best.

Sarah May 30, 2009 at 6:46 pm

your grilled corn is beautiful!!! i can’t wait to my first “core” of the season, haha.

i’m so embarrassed — i’ve been calling you jan-ETH-a in my head. never again!!! forgive me. hope your crazy busy saturday today has lived up to expectations!

cocoeatsandcritiques May 31, 2009 at 3:48 pm

that corn looks soooo good. corn in the summer is a must. that quinoa salad looks to die for as well. good cookin girl!

Sarah W. May 31, 2009 at 5:06 pm

hey i have a quick question for ya!

you said you follow BFL principles and use a 40-40-20 ratio….can you tell me what order that goes in, carbs, protein, fat? or protein, fat, carbs? i forget!

I’m experimenting in nutridiary with my nutrients and diffnt menus – trying to put together a low-carb/high-carb menu for when I start lifting heavy and HIIT again :) right now just low-carbingish and doing lots of cardio :)