how many ways can i use leftover turkey burgers?

by Janetha on May 21, 2009

in meals

well, at least two. saving that for my lunch debut though.

first off, i would like to wish everyone a happy national strawberries & cream day! those of you not in the U S of A feel free to celebrate also ;)

i am a nerd and often times will make something in honor of the national food holiday and bring it into work to share with the homies. well.. actually i usually don’t eat what i make, because it is more often than not an unapproved item for me to eat.. but hey, i like to cook and bake!

so today i whipped out sixteen strawberry shortcake trifles.

i made the angel food cake last night and ripped it to shreds this morning. i diced the strawberries last night too, so they could sit for awhile and make some strawberry juicyness while in the fridge. i whipped the cream this morning in between cleaning up piles of randy the basset hound’s barf. poor guy :( he was a puke monster. i hope he is feeling better now.

once i got to work i assembled these dudes.

i despise canned and premade/packaged whipped cream. i think it is disgusting. i always whip my own cream and add a lot of vanilla extract to it, sometimes to the point where it takes on a brownish hue from the vanilla :P

welllll these were a hit. who doesn’t love strawberry shortcake?!

moving on to a breakfast of my own…

meal 1: oat bran! @ 9:00 AM

this lovely little number included:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (EAS)
  • probably more PB2 than i needed ;)
  • some dried bananas & strawberries

i love this brand of freeze dried stuffs! they have blueberries, tomatoes, pineapple, peaches, etc etc..

it is really good for trail mixes or just to snack on, the whole container (which is pretty big) is only 40 carbs.. so a few pieces here and there is not too bad. plus all it is is fruit! nothing more. love that.

i did miss my cinnamon though, not gonna lie.

i did a little bit of work, then i got my hair did! tis the season.. seems like a lot of people have had hair appointments lately. finally i do not look like the shaggy D.A. with my bangs all up in my face! fabulous :)

my hairdresser happens to be right by allie’s house so i dropped off her birthday present! there has been 3 birthdays in the past week or so..lindsay, cody and allie. i made 3 of these things.. they take about an hour and a half to make but honestly, it is such a rad gift!

what is this you ask? well ya see…you choose six photos to use to make this super adorable puzzle block photo cube! it is such a stellar gift for guys and girls, who doesnt want a bunch of blocks with photos they love on them? then you make them look all old and worn and rustic.. it really is such a great item to have. much more creative than a plain old single photo in a frame.. it is SIX photos and you can turn them to have whatever one you want showing, or mix and match, which looks a little funky but it is fun. my sister made me one a couple years ago and people are always messing with it and it is a great item for any coffee table.

i love arts and crafts!

anyway, if you are interested in that sort of thing, you can buy the kit for these blocks by clicking here. stories by me (the company who sells them) also does a lot of other fun arts and crafts type projects, their website has it all!

then it was back to work for lunch and i was STARVING.

sooo it was leftover turkey burger to the rescue! (of course)

meal 2: turkey burger + guac pita & green peppers + LCL + sabra red pepper hummus @ 1:00 PM

it is kinda hard to see anything in that photo but first i put in the turkey burger + mushroom combo from my bbq the other night:

and then the guac from last night:

and it turned out really delish! served with a green bell pepper.. i can never decide which color to eat.

the photos are dark. i can’t wait to get a new camera! my birthday is just around the corner. yesss!

oh yeah and i ate a fuji because i just needed something sweet.. extra carbs, meh.. such is life:

well that is all i have had today! i decided to break up the day’s post because sometimes doing a whole day’s worth of meals at night can be a little tedious, plus i have some things i need to get done tonight to prepare for my weekend!

we just planned a last minute trip to moab. i love it there! it is pretty close to me, probably 4 hours, which is amazing. sooo we are going to get our camp on down in the red rocks of moab, do some hiking and swimming and cliff jumping and fire burning and who knows what else. i can’t bail until saturday though because of penelope’s puppy class. but 2 nights in moab is still worth it since it is so close!

i love living in utah, it is the most beautiful place and has hot hot summers and cold winters with the very best snow on earth.. i love that i can snowboard my face off half of the year and play in the sun and water for the other half. i am a 4 seasons type of girl for sure!

what is your favorite season??

what are you doing for memorial day weekend?

Julie May 21, 2009 at 7:44 pm

mmmm i <333 the summer! that pita looks SO good :) hahaha love your use of strawberries!!

Anne K. May 21, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Wow, how do you whip your own cream? It sounds really good!

That photo cube looks adorable. What a cool gift!

janetha May 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

anne, you just take the liquid heavy whipping cream and add sugar and vanilla extract to it and beat it on high for about 5 min. so easy and tastes SO much better! and not any crazy preservatives.

Erin May 21, 2009 at 9:54 pm

That is a fabulous gift idea. Wow are you talented like woah!

Hey. What’s your tattoo on your wrist?

janetha May 22, 2009 at 12:34 am

erin, that is my dog’s name, mable (which also means lovable).. she was hit by a car a year and a half ago.. worst thing ever. i miss her more than anything! i dont love tattoos, honestly i am not a fan, but when she was killed i felt a strong urge to get that, so i did.

jenngirl May 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm

How sweet of you to make so many little strawberry shortcake delights! It is definitely a perfect treat :)

Okay, that photo cube is the COOLEST gift idea I’ve seen lately, and it looks fun to make too!

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce May 22, 2009 at 12:15 am

I’m in love with that gift idea! So creative, I am obsessed with pictures and always give them as gifts, but this is such a cool way to revamp a plain old pic in a frame ;)

YUM I love vanilla too, I always add extra whenever I bake! Though I’m totally traumatized from when I was a little kid and decided it smelled soooOOoo good that I should just drink it straight out of the bottle. Terrible idea.

HAVE FUN in Moab, that will be so much fun! My dad went on a mountain biking trip there a few years back and loved it.

janetha May 22, 2009 at 12:33 am

stef, yeah! biking in moab rocks! and haha i have never tried straight vanilla extract.. hmm not so rad?

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now May 22, 2009 at 12:26 am

I had a great breakfast today… I’m pretty sure it’s BFL friendly! I thought of you, haha.

I’m playing around with my diet at the moment to prepare to go BFL style…
quick Q though, do you think this way of eating would work for a vegetarian? That is one of my concerns. I’ve tried looking on the forums for some info but no such luck.

janetha May 22, 2009 at 12:32 am

hey leah! cant wait to see the bfast :)

i know several vegetarians who have done it, yes it is a bit more challenging to get the protein in. but egg whites, cottage cheese, protein powder, edamame, soy “meats”, greek yogurt and nuts are just some of the options for protein as a vegetarian. obviously some items are much higher in protein than others, and some of them also include carbs.. but they are still all sufficient sources. let me know if you have any other questions!

ok it is your friday morning, that is a sign i need to hit the hay!

dailygoods May 22, 2009 at 6:57 am

omg i loveeeeeeeeeee the picture block! i am giong to have to steal your idea for a gift sometime! where di you get the blocks though?

Sarah May 22, 2009 at 7:15 am

you’re so crafty — i love that present idea!!

and those strawberry shortcake trifles, yumm! you work with some lucky people :-) strawberries and cream day sounds like a fabulous cause for celebration!

Em May 22, 2009 at 7:51 am

Oh my gosh Janetha! I saw someone that looked just like you in the car next to me at a red light yesterday. I wanted to roll down my window and scream “Janetha, is that you?!” even though I knew it wasn’t, it still would have been funny. haha

I bet the people at work LOVE you. I mean who wouldn’t love a co-worker that comes toting into work individual homemade strawberry shortcakes in honor of a holiday that you had no idea existed?! I wish I worked with you :)

I love the picture cube thing. It is so creative and cool. I just love doing things with pictures like that. I will have to try that one.

So far I don’t have any real plans for memorial day weekend and summer is for sure my favorite season, I just think that I am made for the summer time, I just love it.

Hope your weekend is off to a great start! <3

CurlyTop May 22, 2009 at 8:39 am

Janetha,

Morning sweetie!

Great post today. I’m going crazy looking at that angel food cake. It looks delicious. Yum, yum.

My favorite season is spring. Hooray for longs runs outdoors!

TGIF, mais oui?
With Love,
Emily

ksgoodeats May 22, 2009 at 9:32 am

Move over Martha!! First the trifles (YUM by the way!) and then the puzzles (CUTE by the way!) ;)

My favorite season is most definitely fall – the colors on the trees change, it gets cooler, tailgating, Halloween, love it!!

Sarah W. May 22, 2009 at 9:49 am

thanks for the link for that photo puzzle!!! such a fab idea!!! i’ll have to keep that in mind for gifts this year!

Danica May 22, 2009 at 11:17 am

I LOVE the strawberry shortcakes – so fun! Do you co-workers ever think you are trying to poison them or anything since you don’t eat your own stuff?! :D I know not, but, well, i am just saying LOL….kidding.

I am with you homemade whip is really the only way to go.

Ohhh that reminds me, I owe you a cookie recipe – i will have to remember to post that this weekend.

Your meal #2 seriously made me drool on my computer – I am going to replicate that this weekend for sure! YUM!

Have fun at MOAB (even though I am still not sure what it is)!