i hate that the dryer takes longer than the washer.

by Janetha on May 14, 2009

in meals

seriously, what gives? it really messes with my laundry jive.

i woke up today thinking “is it seriously not friday yet???” it has really been one of the longest weeks at work ever! i think the combination of my intense throat pain + not being able to eat good food or get proper nutrition + covering for the production manager (she is on a cruise) has all piled up to make for one crappy week for janetha b!

oh well, enough complaining, right?? right. this morning i decided to be late for work so i could make myself a green monster because it has been awhile and i realized i need some greens in my life like something fierce.

well, sad to say, it didn’t work out. i have discovered something about this little head of mine. when i try to drink a smoothie/protein shake.. my ears hurt WAY worse than when i eat food. not sure why this is, have not made that discovery yet.. but i am thinking that the thick liquid fills up the holes where my tonsils used to be and puts lotsa pressure on my ears. that is my theory.. take it or leave it.. all i know is it means no more green monsters or protein shakes until i am back to normal. which brings me to the problem of having no way to get my veggies in, and this is bad. a girl at work told me today that i look really pale.. um yeah i am totally malnourished here people! any ideas how i can get some veggies in my life? i am thinking some soup in a blender? maybe i will try that. or this:

anyway! i didn’t have anything to eat today until 12:45 pm. what! i am crazy. no i am not anorexic.. it just hurts so freaking bad to eat that i would rather be hungry. but when i finally couldn’t take it anymore i made myself a new thang.. apple cinnamon oat bran!

i shoulda taken a photo before i doused the whole bowl with insane amounts of cinnamon, it was much prettier prior to my shakefest with the cinnamon bottle.. but here is what it included:

• 1/3 c oat bran
  • 2/3 c water
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder

i nuked it on level 4 for 4 minutes.. this is the time and temp i have found works best with my microwave.. and then added:

• dollop of 0% voskos greek yogurt
  • dollop of unsweetened applesauce
  • squirt of agave
  • boat loads of cinnamon

i swirled it all together to make a creamy apple cinnamony bowl of love.

and as if that was not enough cinnamon, i kept the shaker next to me so i could add more as i ate. what can i say, i am a total cinnamon junkie.

while eating my oat bran i sipped on an iced americano that my sweet coworker brought me :) thanks sim!

well this held me over for quite awhile, i worked the day away and when it was time to leave i knew i wasn’t going straight home so i snagged a cup of watermelon..

my last bit.. sigh, guess i will have to wait until leftovers at mom’s again when she gives me half of a watermelon to enjoy all week. i am not one to slice my own watermelon.. you should see the knives in my kitchen. and i refuse to buy nice ones because they will just get haggard anyway.. that is what happened with all my pans.. ohhh when i have my own kitchen that will be fanfreakingtastic.

ANYWAY.  after work i gave my friend linds her bday gift that i made! but i am not yet going to show what it is because i am making one for another friend’s bday this coming week and she could very well be lurking about ;)

when i got home i decided it was time to try my first vitatop, i chose the banana nut flavor.

i will be reviewing this in full once i try all of the flavors, but i really enjoyed my first vitatop experience! the flavor was good and the texture was perfect.. i toasted it in the toaster oven straight from the freezer.

i enjoyed one of the bites with a little PB smeared on top.

can’t wait for my PB2 supply to get here!

i washed it all down with an orange. it hurt my tongue but it was delicious (i have geographic tongue so some fruits give me grief).

well then i decided my kitchen and living room were unbearable, and there was too much dog fur on my sheets.. so i went on a rampage.. cleaned + laundry + dishes + taking out all the trash which led to cleaning the yard yadda yadda yadda… then i went to the store!

i had to pick up a couple things for my baking adventures.  more on those later, first.. dinner.

protein pancake + almond butter & side of eggbeaters + LCL wedge.

susan’s post today got my mind in the protein pancake gutter so i had to have one.  plus breakfast for dinner is always a good idea!  actually marshall’s favorite meal is breakfast.. he is always wanting it.

i didn’t want a whole individual batch because i wanted a side of eggs so i made a bit smaller of a recipe:

• 1/4 c oats
  • 1/4 c ff cottage cheese
  • 1/3 scoop protein powder
  • 1 egg white
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • squirt of honey
  • whole lotta cinnamon

this made the perfect amount for one good sized pancake and then i scrambled half a cup off eggbeaters and then melted in a LCL wedge.  perfecto!

onto my baking.. tomorrow is national chocolate chip day so i decided to bake some cookies! i wanted to bake a batch for work and also a batch for marshall’s roomies because they just got home from rome and i’ve missed them and i will be up at his place tomorrow night for poker night. sooo i made a non vegan batch tonight and i will make a vegan batch for the boys tomorrow after work.  i would make both tonight but i just got done with baking batch one and it is already eleven PM. ouch.

these cookies are amazing, i got the recipe from my sister, suni.  thanks sis! i am going to be making katie’s recipe of vegan cookies tomorrow. stay tuned.

of course i had to try my final product! i baked a mini one just for little old me.

no vanilla bean tonight after that little guy. sorry mister ice cream.. i’d love to dig into you but i better not.

that’s about it for the eats today!

thanks for all your comments on my last post and all the ideas of how to use the tofu shirataki noodles! i look forward to doing some more experimenting! i also can’t wait to try some more new foods for katie’s new foods challenge! it is still not too late to join in the fun, i promise it is the greatest idea to try new things! what baffles me is some of the foods i have never tried have been sitting there at the grocery store for years and years and i have always just passed by them without a second glance! and at the same times foods that i cannot live without are often getting passed up by other people.. it is crazy to think that staples for me are foreign to you and staples to you are totally new and fun foods for me to try. next up on the new foods list (some will have to wait for when i can physically eat them):

• ezekiel bread
  • jicama
  • figs
  • chia seeds!!! gotta find them..
  • steel cut oats
  • quinoa

any other suggestions?

well it is damn late so i am not going to dive into the depths of giveaways and free crap and other random news.

but i will leave you with a random phrase that was searched to bring up my blog: “white spot that is not on my tonsil” ha.. sorry to disappoint you random googler.. i have no white spots AND no tonsils… this blog has no answers for you!

question: what is your favorite meal of the day?

Stef May 15, 2009 at 3:01 am

ahahha, “white spot that is not on my tonsil” <—???

That has the potential to be REALLY gross. But I won’t go there ;)

I’m sorry you’re in so much pain, can’t even enjoy a smoothie?? That’s awful! I hope you feel better soon. I’m a total cinnamon junkie too, I always keep the shaker at hand so I can add more as I go.Can’t wait to hear about the vegan cookie adventures, I’m always on the hunt for vegan baking recipes!

Have a great Friday!

Susan May 15, 2009 at 4:35 am

I luuuurve breakfast for dinner!! Especially egg-based things like omelettes or scrambles. Your protein pancake looks good smothered in all that nut butter. Thanks for the shout out!

Have you had mashed cauliflower before? Just steam the hell out of it and mash it up with some laughing cow and it tastes like mashed potatoes. I bet you could get creative and add some mashed broc or spinach in there to get some greens…

Sarah W. May 15, 2009 at 7:13 am

holy cow those choc chip cookies look amazing!!!!!!!

sorry you can’t drink green monsters. i’m having one right now, its not nearly as good as one of the ones I made last week – I think the avocado totally makes the greeen smoothie :)

Ellie Krieger has a recipe for healthy mac n cheese with SQUASH “hidden” in it- seems like a GREAT thing for you to eat, just toss in some ground turkey for more protein if you’re so inclined. and get a bag of frozen peas & corn – heat and mix into the cooked mac n cheese – would that work???

Otherwise, i think soup/chili would be your best bet-great way to sneak extra veggies in

can u eat sauteed spinach or kale?? is that soft enough?

ksgoodeats May 15, 2009 at 7:28 am

Sorry the chewing makes your ears hurt – liquid food is only fun for like two days. Your bowl of oat bran looks amazing! I totally understand your cinnamon addiction – I have a shaker of it at my desk!!

Glad you liked the Vita!! They are yummy – love the addition of PB!! Your cookies look fantastic! My favorite meal of the day is now breakfast – Greek parfaits are delicious (and you don’t really have to chew it ;) )

Michelle May 15, 2009 at 9:05 am

LOL I love seeing what people time into the search that brings them to my blog! hahahahaha that’s a good one!

Anne K. May 15, 2009 at 9:08 am

Aw, so sorry about your ears. That oatbran looks awesome. I agree with you on the cinnamon. I see recipes where it’s like “add 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon,” and I add like, 50 times that amount. Haha, I looooove cinnamon! That vitatop looks delish.
My favorite meal of the day? Breakfast, definitely! I can’t believe I used to not eat it! I hope you have a great day :)

Danica May 15, 2009 at 11:53 am

It’s almost Friday – yeah! LOL….Your eats do look good though even if you feel they are not healthy. I can say they are healthier than mine would be if I had my tonsils out – i’d be eating ice cream all day long :)

Bridget May 15, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Whoa I’ve never heard of that ear pain thing before!!!!! So weird! That sucks…although I wouldnt mind it for a few weeks to kick my sometimes uncontrollable appetite :) But no seriously I hate ear pain and I can’t imagine getting it on a regular basis! PLus no smoothies = sad face for me. Although the rest of your eats look scrumptious!! How did I miss that it was Choc. Chip cookie day!!!?

Nicole May 15, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I love that picture of the pie :D SO cute!

To answer your question on my blog, I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I highly recommend it!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 15, 2009 at 1:30 pm

All of this food looks straight up amazingggg!! :)

Ezekiel bread and quinoa are definitely some favorites of mine too, they are just so good!

And I used to hate breakfast and thought it was so boring, but now I feel like I look most forward to it! OR….dessert!

gina (fitnessista) May 15, 2009 at 1:56 pm

seriously! i don’t like much about doing laundry but the fact the dryer takes so much longer is definitely no fun
the cookies look amazing!
bfast is my favorite meal, hands down :D
have a great day!

Kristina May 15, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Hi Janetha,

I came across your blog and saw that you enjoy healthy cooking and experimenting with new healthy foods. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt which can be used in a variety of ways while cooking – in baking, as a substitute for sour cream, and mayonnaise, and to create tasty low-fat dishes. Greek yogurt is strained, making it thicker and more versatile in recipes than regular yogurt. (Of course, Oikos can be eaten on its own as a tasty, filling snack as well!) Oikos is organic, which means it’s made without artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and it’s made from organic milk produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, or artificial growth hormones (rBST). We feel that organic is not only better for you, but better for the planet as well.

I would love to send you coupons to give Oikos a try. If you’re interested, just shoot me an email at Kdrociak@stonyfield.com and let me know where to send them.

Take care,
Kristina
Stonyfield Farm

snackface May 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Oh those pics of oat bran are divine! LOVE IT! Breakfast is hands-down my favorite meal. I like it so much I often have it as a late night snack, or dessert course also. Hope Friday is fab!

Megan May 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hhaha, I love that cartoon pumpkin pie!! And don’t worry, I douse everything in cinnamon too :) Have a great weekend!!

Oh, my favorite meal… DEFINITELY breakfast.. unless dessert counts?? haha.

<3megan

Cookie luver June 1, 2009 at 2:56 pm

how’d u get ur cream that nice

Terry Brooks September 25, 2009 at 1:43 am

Your blog is so informative … ..I just bookmarked you….keep up the good work!!!!

Donnieboy October 12, 2009 at 8:14 am

Just wanted to drop you a line to say, I enjoy reading your site. I thought about starting a blog myself but don’t have the time.
Oh well maybe one day…. :)