special delivery + peanut buttery noodles!

by Janetha on May 13, 2009

in meals,product review

yo! good evening to all y’all.  i am sure several of you are watching the lost season finale, no?  well yeah, i am watching it listening to it in the background while i blog. my boyfriend is all sorts of obsessed with it.. but i have never watched it before. i’m not gonna lie, it seems like an extra confusing television show.  maybe that is why i keep it real with the food network and game show network only.

anyway, after work was an adventure! not really.. but i dropped my auto off for an oil change, i asked them to check my brakes but they said it would be thirty bucks just to check them out. um no thanks.. change the oil. i take it to the dealership i bought it from for the oil changes b/c i got like.. 36 free oil changes with the purchase. i haven’t paid for an oil change in a year and a half. stellar.

while my 4runner was gettin lubed up marshall and i went to the pharmacy to pick up some more lidocaine lollipops.  the pharmacist acted like he knew me and was really amped to see me in person. he was interrogating me about my condition and said he is a big fan of all my family members that have been in gettin’ drugs for little old me. touching.

after my oil change i ran my car over to this place that my buddy from high school owns.. big o.. and left it with him because i knew it would be in good hands and he wouldnt rape me with random fix it charges.  thanks casey!

welllll then i went to the store and spent just five bucks on supplies for dinner. cheap! more on that in a second.

i walked in my front door and to my surprise.. a package!

the nice man, frank, over at vitalicious.com sent me a big huge sampler pack of vitalicious items to sample and review! i am realllllly stoked! there ar ten flavors of vitatops and then a four pack of the vitabrownies!

2400 calories of lovin’!  i am real excited to start sampling the flavors, but i dont think trying them all at once would be so smart ;) so once i have tried them all i will give a rundown on my experience with the liciousness that is the vita!

then it was time to cook, so i busted out the pots and pans and another new food for my new foods challenge.  what was it you ask?  shirataki noodles!

i have heard a lot about these noodles off the hungry girl news letters so when i saw them at whole foods i had to snag a package.  they had been sitting in my fridge until today.. like i mentioned earlier i saw a recipe on this post of the broccoli hut for some peanut butter noodles off of vegan a go-go.

i decided to add a few things to the recipe.. some extra firm tofu and some egg beaters.. yep, leave it to me to unvegan any recipe!  but i love egg in my pad thai, and this was similar so i thought it would be good. yep i was right! you can check out my play by play on the recipe here.

dinner was served: peanut butter noodley goodness!

i had figured this was something that would go down my throat relatively easy and i was correct.  i ate it with little throat pain and my ears also didn’t hurt too bad after the whole experience. double score.

my take on the shirataki noodles?

pros

• low calorie
  • took to sauce really well
  • filling
  • attractive to the eye (if presentation matters to you)

cons

• fishy smell when opening (went away after a quick parboil)
  • chewy texture when eating
  • noodles clumped together quite a bit

all in all it was a pretty good experience with the noodles. i think it was a good idea to have my first run through with the noodles with an asian inspired dish rather than italian.  i am not sure this texture of noodle will be good in a marinara setting, but that won’t stop me from trying.  once i got past the strange feeling my teeth got when chewing through the noodles, i did ok.  i can’t say what they tasted like, if anything, i just tasted the wonderful peanut sauce in the dish.  looking back, i should have tried a noodle plain to see what it tastes like exactly.  oh well, that will be next time. i am going to get the fettuccine shaped version and try an italian sauce with them.

shortly after dinner i decided to have a little vanilla bean love.. :)

well now i am snacking on a 30 calorie popsicle and about to take some pain meds. ive been doing really well, i went from taking it every 4 hours around the clock to just two to three times each day and not at all in the night. yesss!  also i think it is crazy that i am not dependent on coffee every morning simply because i can’t drink hot drinks. i have been doing really well without it! actually i think i like the taste of it more than the caffiene effects.

time for an update!

the simple life challenge is going good! left off at 49 points.. time to add:

• 3 points for meals yesterday
  • 3 points for meals today
  • 1 point for carrying groceries to the car in my arms
  • 1 point for some coupon usage
  • 1 point for making a bday gift for my friend
  • 1 point for trimmin’ my own bangs
  • 1 point for movie night at home rather than out at the pricey theater

grand total comes to…..sixty! holler.
well no more other news for now since i did some earlier–BUT i just saw on the television a little snippet preview for the ten oclock news.. they said there might be a trader joe’s coming to utah! gasssp! i hope it is not just small talk.

that is all from me tonight, keeping the rambles to a minimum so i can spend some quality time with the boy + the doggies.. lost is over in nine minutes! (thank god)..

xoxo!!

broccolihut May 13, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for the shout-out! Glad you liked the recipe, although I highly recommend it with regular whole wheat spaghetti noodles.

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 14, 2009 at 1:19 am

That dinner sounds delicious! I’ll have to try adding a peanut-y sauce next time I use any type of noodles!! That fishy smell freaked me out when I tried those for the first time too, but the smell did go away eventually….haha, that ice cream sounds delicious too….vanilla is such a classic, always!

Susan May 14, 2009 at 6:18 am

I’d like to try the tofu shirataki noodles, the ones I have are made with yams. I feel like the tofu ones would probably have a little more substance to them…

It’s hard to get into Lost if you haven’t seen it from the beginning. My professors went on strike last year and I watched 4 seasons in 4 weeks, now I’m hooked! I still have to watch it with my roommie though so she can explain everything to me :P

Kristie May 14, 2009 at 7:36 am

VITAMUFFINS. Yeah I’m definitely jealous.

I just made peanutty tofu shirataki noodles the other night for dinner. I love shirataki noodles! I’ve never tried them with a tomato based sauce but they work pretty well with a mock alfredo sauce.

luckytastebuds May 14, 2009 at 7:53 am

ahhhh thank you so much for stopping by my blog because who knew what a FABULOUS blog you have???!?!? I’m really truly blown away by the quality of your posts and of course, what great pictures and food ideas you have!!

The shirataki noodle challenge sounds like a cool plan, and i’ve seriously thought about doing one too, except they’re so expensive here it doesn’t seem worth it. :(

Sounds like we both have the same life plans!!! hahah or halfway at least. I’d LOOOVE to be a traveling food critic and restaurant owner!!! But PT…nutritionist, I’ll leave the pro’s to that. heheheh

Your transformation in such a short couple of months is incredible. Thanks for sharing your story and THANK YOU for starting your own blog!!!!

Sarah W. May 14, 2009 at 8:11 am

I’m a huge LOST fan even though I’m still confused and my questions unanswered LOL.

Frank is the man! I personally didn’t care too much for the vitatops. Teh choc/brownie ones tasted diety. I however, did like the bran muffins – they were delish w/ some Earth Balance! I hear toasting them is the way to go (I only ever microwaved).

The Shirataki noodles are GREAT in a marinara sauce w/ meatless meat balls :) and veggies. I loved that I could “eat the entire pkg” for only 20 cals LOL. I LOVE your take on asian style…I will have to do that…..great for my lowcarb 2 weeks stint I start next week! mmm w/ some scrambled egg – thanks for the ideas!

Anne K. May 14, 2009 at 9:23 am

Yum, that dinner looks tasty! The egg-beaters addition is a great idea. I’m not too big of a fan of the shirataki noodles with marinara sauce (it gets too watery, and the texture doesn’t mesh well). But they’re really good with cream-based sauces. I like using goat cheese!

Michelle May 14, 2009 at 10:02 am

Ugh I want to try those noodles badly! Sadly, I have NO Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s anywhere remotely close to me :( Tear. I’ll have to figure out a way to get them. Vitamuffin samples!??? Yes, please! Enjoy them girlie, your poor throat deserves some lovin’ from these!!

Lauren May 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Oooo fun sampler package! I’ve been wanting to try the shirataki noodles for a while now also – good to know an asian sauce is the way to go!

marisa May 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm

There better not be a Trader Joe’s in Utah or nobody will come visit ME because I know what you really come for.

Em May 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

you lucky lucky girl. I am so jealous of your massive amounts of vitatops. I freakin love those things!

I am feeling you on food network. It is my go-to channel on the TV. The only show that I groan and roll my eyes at is Iron Chef. haha RUINS my day when that is the only thing on.

ksgoodeats May 14, 2009 at 4:28 pm

YAY!!! I’m glad you got a package of them!! Hope you enjoy the Vitas :)

Yum to your dinner! I need to give those noodles a shot. They seem so versatile!

Danica May 14, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Yeah for Vitatops! I LOVE them!!! I feel the same about the noodles but you had them my favorite way!

I am going to steal your vanilla bean soon – I swear! LOL

I shipped your book today – Wooohoo!!!